Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default ESPN top 100 prospects

Just saw this list on ESPN, thought it was fairly interesting. (Sorry paywalled)
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...e&refresh=true

Flames related:
12-Monahan
25- Baertschi
50- Gaudreau
67- Knight

Interesting list as the average is about 3.33 per team, and Flames had 4 so just a bit above average, however 3 in the top 50 is pretty good.

I just want to note this guy has Shinkaruk at 22 (above Baertschi), Horvat at 28, so this guy has some weird ways of evaluating players, and that you should take this list with a grain of salt as there are a lot of real headscratchers.

Baertschi has done everything and more then Shinkaruk did in the WHL, has some NHL experience (25 games). He knocked Baertschi on his size for the NHL, but doesn't for Shinkaruk? Was one week away from being drafted last year, and regressed in points in which was basically played at 19.

Makes no sense to me, especially since Shinkaruk was drafted 23rd in his draft year and this includes all prospects.
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dienasty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pronman makes decent evaluations on players but when he puts them together into rankings I usually don't agree with most of it.

To add to that I think Pronman has always ranked Baertschi lower then most people have. He had him at 20-30 last year too if I remember correctly.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shinkaruk ahead of Baertchi? Hahahahahahaha.......ahahahahahaha!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
herashak
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

pronman is decent but i dont take his prospects rankings too serious
herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking back I kind of wish the Flames picked Maatta over Jankowski as it would have solidified the back end of the prospect pool which has become a bit forward heavy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can anyone objectively put Shinkaruk ahead of Baertschi?

If I'm not mistaken, he had Kirill Kabanov in the top 20 for the previous 2 years. I like most of Pronman's work, but sometimes it seems he's just doing this for page views.

Last edited by Ashasx; 09-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Looking back I kind of wish the Flames picked Maatta over Jankowski as it would have solidified the back end of the prospect pool which has become a bit forward heavy.
Yes, unfortunately at the time we didn't think we would tank and get a top 10 the next year. It was the only they saw that we could get a potential #1 center. As long as Jankowski pans out it shouldn't be that big of a deal, can always trade a forward for a D later if too many of our forward prospects pan out.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingLonghorn View Post
Yes, unfortunately at the time we didn't think we would tank and get a top 10 the next year. It was the only they saw that we could get a potential #1 center. As long as Jankowski pans out it shouldn't be that big of a deal, can always trade a forward for a D later if too many of our forward prospects pan out.
I agree that plays into it and I'm still not writing off Jankowski but when I look at our prospect depth it's a thin on well rounded defensemen and Maatta would have filled that void nicely.

The original Young Guns were based mostly on a group of young forwards and Derek Morris. They really didn't turn the corner until guys like Regehr, Gauthier, Lydman, Leopold came into the picture.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think that the Flames have a decent mix of well-rounded defencemen. What they are really missing in their prospect pool is a #1 D that functions really well as a PP QB.

Ramage is pretty well rounded. Kulak is pretty well rounded. Culkin is pretty well rounded. Wotherspoon is pretty well rounded.

Sieloff, Breen and Kanzig will probably end up being more of the steady stay at home types in the NHL - though I won't write off any possible offensive abilities from either one.

Add to that Giordano who isn't too old, and a young Brodie that looks more and more like he is going to be a decent #2 guy, and I don't think the D is in too bad a shape at all for the future. I just see a lack of a blue chip #1 guy. I am not saying all the D listed above will make it - and I didn't include all of them on the list either, but in retrospect, I feel that the D prospects as a group are much deeper than I thought they were last year.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I actually think that the Flames have a decent mix of well-rounded defencemen. What they are really missing in their prospect pool is a #1 D that functions really well as a PP QB.

Ramage is pretty well rounded. Kulak is pretty well rounded. Culkin is pretty well rounded. Wotherspoon is pretty well rounded.

Sieloff, Breen and Kanzig will probably end up being more of the steady stay at home types in the NHL - though I won't write off any possible offensive abilities from either one.

Add to that Giordano who isn't too old, and a young Brodie that looks more and more like he is going to be a decent #2 guy, and I don't think the D is in too bad a shape at all for the future. I just see a lack of a blue chip #1 guy. I am not saying all the D listed above will make it - and I didn't include all of them on the list either, but in retrospect, I feel that the D prospects as a group are much deeper than I thought they were last year.
Wideman covers the powerplay for at least the next 4 years on the big club so I guess it wouldn't be surprising if the Flames targeted maybe a defenseman (Ekblad?) in the first round this year depending on where they end up picking and what the best prospects.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Wideman covers the powerplay for at least the next 4 years on the big club so I guess it wouldn't be surprising if the Flames targeted maybe a defenseman (Ekblad?) in the first round this year depending on where they end up picking and what the best prospects.
I actually wouldn't doubt it myself, though I have reservations on Ekblad. Seems more like a very great defensive defencemen, but doesn't have the offensive upside of a guy that is supposedly vying for the 1st over-all selection. This season will be more telling as to his offensive abilities.

Some people argue that he is a very mature kid in a man's body, and thus looks better than he really is and that when he enters the NHL, he won't be able to dominate as well as everyone else will physically be caught up. Others feel he is a legitimate super-star in the making. Guess time will tell who is right, but I can definitely see the Flames picking Reinhart/Nylander/Drasitl maybe and then trying to acquire another first from a combination of the vets (or maybe a couple of 2nds acquired from other trades to move up into the 1st) and try to land an offensive d-man.

I can see the Flames' scouts giving Jack Glover a long look - right shooting defencemen, some offensive upside to his game, plays int he UNSTDP program (committed to Minnesotta in the NCAA). Not sure if he would turn into a #1, but I think defencemen are often like goalies - sometimes you just never know. I do think that if the Flames had 3 first round picks somehow this upcoming draft, they would spend 2 on defenders (all things being equal).

I do like Culkin, Kulak and of course Brodie. I think any of the three will be fixtures on the future Flames' PP - but they all need that partner with a big shot and just a higher offensive ability. All 3 are great puck-moving, 2-way defenders with fantastic hockey-sense. I bet all 3 become fixtures on the Flames' blueline for some time. Just need that #1 guy.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote