Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Feaster talks about Ortio's future

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Quote:
Earlier this year, when netminder Joni Ortio was assigned to TPS Turku of SM-liiga after putting in just nine games with the Abbotsford Heat, some questioned if his future with the organization was in jeopardy. "He is still in the plans but the factor there is what is best for his development," Flames general manager Jay Feaster assured CalgaryFlames.com. "In our minds, the idea of being in the American League and playing a game every two weeks - that's probably not the best thing for his development, particularly if he can play at the elite level in Europe and be a go-to guy."

Heat goaltending coach Jordan Sigalet is convinced Ortio can make an impact next year now that he has spent a significant amount of time in the AHL and understands what it takes to remain on a roster in such a competitive league.
"At the end of Joni's stint here, he started to put in some good games because he was starting to play a little bit more often. At the start of the year, he's getting in there every 10 games at the development league, development level, that's the last thing you want for a guy of that age.

"For him, I think it was a great choice," Sigalet said of Ortio's time in Finland. "To go over there and play every single minute, every single game and get in a little bit of a rhythm."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

sounds good they are atleast talking about him and saying he's still in the plans.
Gravitykillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im usually a huge optomist but I honestly don't see Ortio being an NHL goalie. His numbers last year in the AHL were terrible. The transition from the bigger ice to smaller ice seems to affect him. Hope he proves me wrong though.
MyFlamesFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlamesFirst View Post
Im usually a huge optomist but I honestly don't see Ortio being an NHL goalie. His numbers last year in the AHL were terrible. The transition from the bigger ice to smaller ice seems to affect him. Hope he proves me wrong though.
Same here, but maybe he goes the path of Karri Ramo and continues to develop a ton in Europe or Russia.

I didn't like how Luongo-esque Ortio was when I was able to watch him here in Abbotsford. Massive rebounds and always on his stomach is what I saw from him.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not that a sixth-round pick is ever likely to play in the NHL, but taking such a narrow view on a young developing goaltender is a huge mistake. How he did in a handful of AHL games straight out of junior age is meaningless with regard to where he will be in 5 years.

In Finland he seems to be regarded as a genuine talent. No one thinks he's ready but some people see good things in him.

Last edited by Henry Fool; 06-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Heat goaltending coach Jordan Sigalet is convinced Ortio can make an impact next year now that he has spent a significant amount of time in the AHL and understands what it takes to remain on a roster in such a competitive league.
I thought he signed for another year in Finland but he's talking like he'll be back in the AHL next season. I guess his contract with us would take precedence over any in Finland. As for his upside, I've seen little of him but he seems to be a pretty good athlete, so his weaknesses can be improved.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I thought he signed for another year in Finland but he's talking like he'll be back in the AHL next season. I guess his contract with us would take precedence over any in Finland. As for his upside, I've seen little of him but he seems to be a pretty good athlete, so his weaknesses can be improved.
He'll be on loan to HIFK, according to European media (Elite Prospects, etc).

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hard to tell if a goalie to going to be NHL calibre at a young age. Goalies seem to do better as they age.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can't really judge a goalie based on his AHL rookie season.

Pekka Rinne - 2.82 / .904
Roberto Luongo - 2.93 / .908
Carey Price - 2.69 / .896
Martin Brodeur - 4.03 / .804
Tim Thomas - 3.23 / .905
MA Fleury - 2.52 / .901
Tomas Vokoun - 3.49 / .902
Mike Smith - 3.23 / .906

Expectation aren't really high for a 6th rounder anyways, but he has lots of time to improve.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster talking about Dorito's? Shocking...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
You can't really judge a goalie based on his AHL rookie season.

Pekka Rinne - 2.82 / .904
Roberto Luongo - 2.93 / .908
Carey Price - 2.69 / .896
Martin Brodeur - 4.03 / .804
Tim Thomas - 3.23 / .905
MA Fleury - 2.52 / .901
Tomas Vokoun - 3.49 / .902
Mike Smith - 3.23 / .906

Expectation aren't really high for a 6th rounder anyways, but he has lots of time to improve.
Totally true, goalies take a lot longer to develop than forwards or DMen. There is no way we should be writing this guy off yet just because of his numbers in a small sample of AHL games, that were spread apart, and he played a season in Europe.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Not that a sixth-round pick is ever likely to play in the NHL, but taking such a narrow view on a young developing goaltender is a huge mistake. How he did in a handful of AHL games straight out of junior age is meaningless with regard to where he will be in 5 years.

In Finland he seems to be regarded as a genuine talent. No one thinks he's ready but some people see good things in him.
Let's hope Brossiot bucks the trend and makes it to the show.

Wonder what the scouts saw in Orito that others didn't. We could have picked Olivier Roy or Edward Pasquale that draft, both of whom were ranked in the top sixty in THN but passes on both.

I saw Orito at the top prospects tourney last year and he was a sieve. Brossiot has to have surpassed him on the depth chart, hopefully he can find his game in aeurope.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Totally true, goalies take a lot longer to develop than forwards or DMen. There is no way we should be writing this guy off yet just because of his numbers in a small sample of AHL games, that were spread apart, and he played a season in Europe.
I still wouldn't count out Ortza (Ortio) by any stretch of the imagination.

Still a highlight for me is when I did an in depth interview with him in Nov '09:

rerun (some might have seen before):

http://thehockeywriters.com/joni-ortio-interview/

(Mods: please delete if in violation of CP rules; just wanted to share extra info on the great kid)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Feaster talking about Dorito's? Shocking...
You're better then that.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote