Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #14001
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Say this is true. Whats an expected return here?

An Austin Matthews type? I hate the idea but if you bring in Matthews (Younger...) that does make the team more Dynamic.

Honestly would move everyone else before Monahan , even Gaudreau.

Not sure. I think the issue with trading Monahan is that unless a GM really likes him and offers a better center I think the flames would get older or gamble on a younger player who may become better than Monahan. There aren't many better centers that I think are realistically available for Monahan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #14002
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Not sure. I think the issue with trading Monahan is that unless a GM really likes him and offers a better center I think the flames would get older or gamble on a younger player who may become better than Monahan. There aren't many better centers that I think are realistically available for Monahan.
Exactly. So why the eff trade your #1 center? Its mind numbingly insane.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #14003
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree. Unless it is a fleecing, makes zero sense
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #14004
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Say this is true. Whats an expected return here?

An Austin Matthews type? I hate the idea but if you bring in Matthews (Younger...) that does make the team more Dynamic.

Honestly would move everyone else before Monahan , even Gaudreau.
It would have to be young C with more grit and defensive acumen but maybe a bit less offense thus far. Then you play him with Johnny and Lindholm/whoever, and hope he blossoms in the offensive part of the game.

This team does have to get better defensively overall, and it starts at the top as always. That top line got owned by the Avs for long stretches and really exposed how soft they could be....though i certainly dont put all that on Monahan.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #14005
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Trading for a less skilled and grittier centre sounds like Stillman-for-Conroy all over again. I mean I guess that worked okay but Stillman was definitely the better player.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #14006
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Who knows. I've been thinking about it a lot today since I heard the rumour and I haven't been able to come up with a good reason.

On the other hand, there could be plenty going on behind the scenes that we don't know and will never know.
Still, it is hard to picture a trade like this that makes the Flames better right now.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #14007
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy talk all in all. There are much more important holes to address on the team than trying to condense assets into upgrading Monahan.

#1. A fracking goalie!
#2. RW upgrades
#3. Upgrade Jamko before Monny.
#4. Secure full time spots for Valimaki, Kylington and Andersson. Or at least 2/3 and hope you can keep one happy being call up depth for another year.
#5. Manage to sign Tkachuk and Bennett and keep some flexibility.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #14008
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sean Monahan for Evgeni Malkin?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #14009
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
That just creates even bigger cap issues though...not to mention the age difference.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #14010
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Lord no. Too old. I'm not against Malkin but Monahan is literally nine years younger.

He'd be an intriguing add but I don't think the Flames would do at all well in that swap.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #14011
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I don't see a dramatic overhaul of a team that finished first in the west, putting together one of the best regular seasons in franchise history.

Goaltending will need to be addressed first and foremost. Secondly, some surplus defenders will need to be moved out to make way for youth. A move or two up front for cap reasons as well. Maybe a bit more truculence.

This is still a good, young team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #14012
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
It's crazy talk all in all. There are much more important holes to address on the team than trying to condense assets into upgrading Monahan.

#1. A fracking goalie!
#2. RW upgrades
#4. Secure full time spots for Valimaki, Kylington and Andersson. Or at least 2/3 and hope you can keep one happy being call up depth for another year.
That's all good and all, and attracted a lot of thanks, but ultimately GM's know what wins Cups vs what makes you a decent team.

You make it sound simple, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brad is looking at the best teams and realizing that our biggest hole might not be what the fans think. We're looking at third line guys, upgrading this and that, while a smart GM in the day to day may be saying "A top line with two non physical, non two way forwards may have to be upgraded at a cost".

You'll likely come back with sarcasm on how great Gaudreau and Monahan and how stupid it would be to make a trade there (even though I agree they are great), but I have a funny feeling things are seen differently in house and we see a major trade this summer.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #14013
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Id be okay if you got somebody like Kadri to replace Jankos spot at Center. Thats the exact type of roster movement that puts the team over the top. I hate Kadri though. But I dont think you can grab anyone else of that type this off season. You do that kind of move Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy before you even think about talking about trading Sean Monahan.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #14014
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Just an FYI...

Quote:
Kevin Paul Dupont
@GlobeKPD

The six Blues D'men all range 6-2 to 6-6. Avg weight: 212.
And 9 of 12 forwards are 200 pounds or more.
I suspect the Bruins arent all that much behind them.

Size in this league still matters most when push comes to shove...it just has to be able to play as well.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #14015
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

They wouldn't try to move Monahan just for the sake of moving him.

If they are trying, it's for a good reason IMO. I also believe that if they do, it will be for another very good center.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #14016
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's all good and all, and attracted a lot of thanks, but ultimately GM's know what wins Cups vs what makes you a decent team.

You make it sound simple, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brad is looking at the best teams and realizing that our biggest hole might not be what the fans think. We're looking at third line guys, upgrading this and that, while a smart GM in the day to day may be saying "A top line with two non physical, non two way forwards may have to be upgraded at a cost".

You'll likely come back with sarcasm on how great Gaudreau and Monahan and how stupid it would be to make a trade there, but I have a funny feeling things are seen differently in house and we see a major trade this summer.
GM's going to do what he's going to do. Neat. Thats his job. I'm posting what I think needs to be done.

You;re the one with the sarcastic attitude here. Mocking people who thanked my thought out post. Mocking me for not being an NHL gm.

go for a sTroll somewhere else.

Aaaaaannnnd, what does Tree know exactly about winning cups? Does he have one I am not aware of? Please do tell me more.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #14017
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, if Philadelphia comes calling and offers Nolan Patrick, Jacob Vorocek and Andrew MacDonald for Monahan, Jankowski and Brodie, you wouldn't jump at that?

It's fine to say that Monahan is a great player, but all you need is one GM to think that he is the second coming, and you can greatly improve this team.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #14018
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
GM's going to do what he's going to do. Neat. Thats his job. I'm posting what I think needs to be done.

You;re the one with the sarcastic attitude here. Mocking people who thanked my thought out post. Mocking me for not being an NHL gm.

go for a sTroll somewhere else.

Aaaaaannnnd, what does Tree know exactly about winning cups? Does he have one I am not aware of? Please do tell me more.
Yes it was needlessly abrasive, sorry for that. The message about Brad likely seeing a need to upgrade the top line to something more physical and/or two way was intended, but I botched the delivery getting too personal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #14019
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

#1. A fracking goalie!
#2. RW upgrades
I like everything you say here.

Yes Johnny and Monny are a bit soft. So find a guy you can play with them on the top line as a gritty top 6 RWer or split them up and maybe try Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk as the top unit.

Our weak link at center is Jankowski as the other 3 IMO are all pulling there weight. You don't trade a player like Monahan because of his weaknesses, you play him with players that offsets those weaknesses - probably a big reason why Ferland was so successful on the top line.

#23 and #13 are both strong top 6 players and we need to add to them, Chucky and Elias, not trade any of them.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #14020
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I don't see a dramatic overhaul of a team that finished first in the west, putting together one of the best regular seasons in franchise history.

Goaltending will need to be addressed first and foremost. Secondly, some surplus defenders will need to be moved out to make way for youth. A move or two up front for cap reasons as well. Maybe a bit more truculence.

This is still a good, young team.

There will be changes. That playoff performance was woefully inadequate and there is no way BT can bring back the same line up.

Regular season success is nice and all that, but there has to be aspirations to go deeper than 1 round at this point.

He will do something at the draft...its just a matter of how big that something is.