Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #101
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I binged all three seasons in the last couple weeks. I think it would have been cooler to end the third season with the alien thing lifting off and turning into the ring, and then the fourth season beginning with slingshot guy smashing into the thing. Loved the Deep Purple they worked in. That was unexpected and awesome. One thing I thought was really awesome about the show was the pacing, and then as soon as they get to going into the ring it all felt rushed and nowhere near as interesting.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #102
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone who hasn't watched it yet and is an Amazon Prime member, the Expanse season 1-3 is launching worldwide on Prime Video February 8th. Season 4 will be launching "later this year". Not sure when that is exactly but cast and crew speculate it'll be late summer/early fall time frame

Quote:
Season 3 will be available to Prime members in over 200 countries and territories starting Feb. 8. For those of you who can’t wait, don’t worry! Seasons 1 and 2 are currently available on Amazon Prime Video to tide you over until February. For international audiences, you’ll be able to access seasons 1-3 on February 8.
https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ng-1203113740/

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #103
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished up season 3. I love this show. Can't wait for season 4.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #104
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

So I've recently started reading the books. On book 2 now and god damn, Avasarala is even more of a bad ass in the books! Love it.

Recommend everyone read the books as well. There's like 8 of them but they're a pretty quick read and not at all intimidating like Song of Ice & Fire series.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #105
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got to Babylon's Ashes myself. It's been epic so far. Lol yeah she curses like a sailor. I think the producers were saying that they were restricted to what they could show before since it was on TV, now with Amazon they have no restrictions... All the zero-g sex and swearing anyone could possibly want.

Apparently we are going to hear an announcement about season 4 soon. Cas Anvar tweeting a hint to that effect.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #106
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just started reading book 7 last night, really hoping the show works for Amazon and we see all the novels get the TV treatment. I really, really want to see book 5 get done at the very least (and hoping they even get a boost to their FX budget to really knock it out of the park).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #107
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I just got to Babylon's Ashes myself. It's been epic so far. Lol yeah she curses like a sailor. I think the producers were saying that they were restricted to what they could show before since it was on TV, now with Amazon they have no restrictions... All the zero-g sex and swearing anyone could possibly want.

Apparently we are going to hear an announcement about season 4 soon. Cas Anvar tweeting a hint to that effect.
Book 5/6 are amazing. Truly the "Empire Strikes Back" of The Expanse universe.

Just finished 7. Fingers crossed but apparently 8 is supposed to be out later this month!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #108
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Book 6 spoiler:

Spoiler!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #109
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really would like to see how book 5 gets handled, I imagine the special effects being very Roman Emmerich like... I really really hope they can make it all the way to book 8+ and show what finally happened to the Gate builders

Rumor has it they brought some of the book 5 story lines over for season 4, I was not a huge fan of some of the Cibola Burn story characters in general. Though if give them the Klaes Ashford treatment I might be able to stomach it. Looks like they have though with Murtry getting an excellent actor casting ala David Straitharn

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093509686597308416

On Book 5/6... halfway through 6.

Spoiler!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #110
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #111
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Just binged all three seasons and I loved it.

Two moments in particular that I loved was when Eros moves out of the way and when the new ship leaves Venus. Just cool WTF moments

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #112
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Also I have a question regarding the episode including the guy who discovers the combination to make the rocket engines go really fast.

He is talking in the first person telling his story but he just blasts off into space with his new drive named after him (I can’t remember his name). But they don’t ever show him shutting down the drive, he is basically pinned to his seat due to the G’s. Did I miss something or was it ever discussed how they got him back, or his engine tech back?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #113
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Also I have a question regarding the episode including the guy who discovers the combination to make the rocket engines go really fast.

He is talking in the first person telling his story but he just blasts off into space with his new drive named after him (I can’t remember his name). But they don’t ever show him shutting down the drive, he is basically pinned to his seat due to the G’s. Did I miss something or was it ever discussed how they got him back, or his engine tech back?
That's Solomon Epstein, he invented the drive used in the show that allows for very efficient use of fuel/reaction mass so basically you can accelerate for a long, long time and get to stupidly high speeds. It's basically how people get around in the Expanse without taking years to get everywhere.

Up until then fuel would have ran out quickly so Epstein thought he'd run out of fuel at the acceleration he was at. Epstein was wrong about how efficient his design was and he died at high G going straight out of the solar system. They never recovered the body or the ship as no one else at the time had anything that could catch him, but the plans for his engine were sitting on his office back on Mars which his wife found and sold to the Martian government. There are parts of the book which mention that if you point a telescope out to the right place, you can still see his ship flying out. Show skips over a bit on how the tech gets transferred to Mars

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-23-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #114
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Up until then fuel would have ran out quickly so Epstein thought he'd run out of fuel at the acceleration he was at. Epstein was wrong about how efficient his design was and he died at high G going straight out of the solar system. They never recovered the body or the ship as no one else at the time had anything that could catch him, but the plans for his engine were sitting on his office back on Mars which his wife found and sold to the Martian government. There are parts of the book which mention that if you point a telescope out to the right place, you can still see his ship flying out. Show skips over a bit on how the tech gets transferred to Mars
Pretty sure this is mentioned in the show, but it's a single line and definitely easy to miss if you're not watching for it.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #115
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Pretty decent series so far, I'm half way through season 2.

I think my biggest problem is the actor for Holden. I just can't accept Scowly McScowlyface as Holden, I don't know why, my internal image of what he was like just is too far from what they went with I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #116
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Pretty decent series so far, I'm half way through season 2.

I think my biggest problem is the actor for Holden. I just can't accept Scowly McScowlyface as Holden, I don't know why, my internal image of what he was like just is too far from what they went with I guess.
You are in for a treat, back half of season 2/start of season 3 ramp up the excitement significantly. As with Holden, it's a the made for TV pretty face actor replacement. I pictured Amos as an older, overweight mechanic with a beer gut and santa beard.

I also wonder how they will deal with aging as the later books will take place decades after the start of the series at that point. Will the timelines just be compressed for everything that happens?

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-25-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #117
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The only way to watch this show is through Amazon?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #118
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The only way to watch this show is through Amazon?
Purchase through Google Play/iTunes/Amazon video/Blu-ray, Amazon Prime Video subscription, or newsgroups/torrents at this point. It was on Crave TV up till February. Amazon bought the worldwide rights to the show as part of the deal to save it the SyFy partnership.

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-26-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #119
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Book 5/6 are amazing. Truly the "Empire Strikes Back" of The Expanse universe.

Just finished 7. Fingers crossed but apparently 8 is supposed to be out later this month!
Tiamat's Wrath is shipping from Amazon now if you want to pick up a copy.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #120
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's been a while, watching the show will mean fewer novels to re-read before I read Tiamat's Wrath

Tags
noir , pew pew pew , sci fi , space opera , the expanse