Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Troy Ward: Heat will be a puck pursuit team

http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/news/...396/story.html

Quote:
Expect the 2011/12 version of the Heat will play a more aggressive, puck possession style of hockey compared to the last two years, said Ward.
However some things, like trying to stay out of the penalty box, which the Heat managed to accomplish more than in their inaugural campaign, will stay the same.

"We're going to be disciplined. I'd say that's been a trademark of my teams," said Ward.

"We're going be more of a puck pursuit team. My emphasis is on always playing with the puck and keeping the puck. I don't like to give it up as coach and if we do give it up, we're going to be very aggressive in our posture as to how we would get it back."

In other words, the best defence is a good offence.

That's a concept Ward believes has been lost on young players first in the post-lockout era.

"The hardest part of being a pro hockey player now is the offensive side of the game," he said.

Read more: http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/news/...#ixzz1QodOKZrB
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
arloiginla
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While I'm not sold on Feaster's trading prowess I really feel he has the right ideas and philosophy of what he wants to do with this organization.

He's putting the right people in place who share his philosophy...I only watched the Heat once last year but from all accounts they were a dreadfully boring team to watch offensively and couldn't buy enough goals.

An aggressive, puck-pursuit team makes me excited that players who get called up to the NHL are going to have no problem scoring goals and fitting in with the Flames because they will be used to the style of play.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding but everyone is saying the right things...it's exciting.
arloiginla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arloiginla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

It will probably take some time before we see the overall change in philosophy take shape on the ice, but I like the direction things seem to be headed in. I think our prospects really need to be more creative offensively and hopefully Troy Ward can pull more of that out of them. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Heat can accomplish this year. Hopefully the players don't suffer any serious injuries (Negrin, Wahl to name a couple) and they can make an impact.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Puck pursuit? isn't that a fancy word for dump and chase?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

here is a discription of the Penguins puck pursuit style, also used by the Wings

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11076/1132558-61.stm
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Not really. That's just what us Flames fans have become accustomed to when we here "puck pursuit". Thankfully it's changing.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
In some situation yess, that is what it means, depending on how the other team is playing. It means, if you have to dump the puck, you get it back ASAP. It also means if the other team has the puck, you chase it to try get it back(ie, backcheck). The last couple years the Heat have been playing dump but don't chase, which is really boring to watch.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, I really like what Feaster just said in the media meeting today.

He said Husketh emailed him today telling him about all of raving the prospects are doing about Ward. One prospect even told him that he'd "go through the wall for him".

Sounds like he'll be a kick ass coach that the players will love to play under.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's an interesting interview with Ward and Steinberg on the FAN960.

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...30_163822_7380
The Following User Says Thank You to fanman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Doc Hudson
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We don't have that many great prospects, so there is an inpetus to groom our prospects well. I hope this will be the guy to do that. We desparately need cheap top 6/4 players, enough of the $3-4.5M 30+ year olds.

What will be the measure of a success, at least 2 (1F,1D) graduate to NHL at the start of every year, and 1 during season? One 1st-2nd line player every 2nd year?

Can we project any of our prospects to top positions?

Brodie maybe this year, Nemisz, Reinhart, Howse, Wahl, Breen, Ramage and Irving over the next 5 years? One can dream.

Last edited by Doc Hudson; 07-02-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Doc Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hudson View Post
We don't have that many great prospects, so there is an inpetus to groom our prospects well. I hope this will be the guy to do that. We desparately need cheap top 6/4 players, enough of the $3-4.5M 30+ year olds.

What will be the measure of a success, at least 2 (1F,1D) graduate to NHL at the start of every year, and 1 during season? One 1st-2nd line player every 2nd year?

Can we project any of our prospects to top positions?

Brodie maybe this year, Nemisz, Reinhart, Howse, Wahl, Breen, Ramage and Irving over the next 5 years? One can dream.
That measure of success can't necessarily be sustained. Id say that if at least 2 graduate to the NHL at the beginning of or during any season, should be the measure of great success, and if 1 manages to do so, that should be acceptable, depending on where the team is. If a year from now only 1 makes the NHL, that would be a disappointment, but this year, if one makes it out of camp, that will be considered a success due to all the competition for the bottom paring defensive spots. When there are only 21-23 players on a team, 3 rookies are hard to integrate every year. The Oilers only had that many on their roster to start last year and they were the worst team in the League.

I'd say that a measure of development success has to be more than just players making the NHL team. If two players on a team can increase their responsibilities every year, that should also be considered a measure of success, because if they can't, it will be hard to add rookies. Backlund going from the 3rd/4th lines to 1st/2nd and Giordano going from second paring defenseman to first pairing defenseman and being successful in those roles would be a success by my definition. Last year, Moss and Glencross forcing their way onto the second line would qualify.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Andy Pruitt's twitter:

Quote:
@AndyPruittLive5
Andy Pruitt
Hearing Cail MacLean is expected to leave the Stingrays, and become an assistant with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat.
He was the head coach of the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays, a Washington Capitals affiliate.

He only has two year's experience coaching (both in the ECHL) where his team was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs each season.

He's got a great Win % though. In his two seasons coaching he had a .653 and .556 Win % respectively.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
According to Andy Pruitt's twitter:

He was the head coach of the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays, a Washington Capitals affiliate.

He only has two year's experience coaching (both in the ECHL) where his team was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs each season.

He's got a great Win % though. In his two seasons coaching he had a .653 and .556 Win % respectively.
Its official.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569813
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cail MacLean on his move to Assistant Coach in Abbotsford:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #15
pappa jan
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Good coaching staff in Abbotsford

I really like the promotion of Troy Ward to head coach and the hiring of Cail MacLean based on their interviews posted in this thread. They seem to have a good communication skills which is important when trying to learn young players. I think the emphazise on communication throughout the organization is one of the biggest positives Jay Feaster has brought, and one not to underrestimate.
pappa jan is offline   Reply With Quote