Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #121
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post

12-Months Total Cost: $378.79
Average Monthly Cost: $31.57

Wind is one of the few consumer choices I've made that gets better with time. I'm even happier today than I was 3, 6, 9, 12 months ago. There's NO reason for fence sitting.
I feel the same way everytime i get my bill and see $42 with no mystery charges. My favorite's when someone on rogers needs to use my wind phone cause they have no service.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #122
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would it be worthwhile since I live in Cochrane and spend a lot of time in Bragg Creek, Canmore and Whitefish or is something like Koodo the better choice. I'm not sure how the roaming works for Wind and that's why I've stayed away.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #123
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I feel the same way everytime i get my bill and see $42 with no mystery charges. My favorite's when someone on rogers needs to use my wind phone cause they have no service.
When does this happen?

How is it that people with these cut rate plans always talk about how they get great service and people with others are always using their phone cause they don't have it?

I work in the oil field and have Rogers and rarely lose coverage and talk to others with Rogers or Telus and rarely hear them complain about coverage.

Maybe I am going to the lucky places or I talk to the lucky few that get coverage but these coverage issues seem way overblown by former customers/little guy phone users.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #124
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm with Rogers and my sisters are with Wind. I will bet my life savings (ok, ok, that isn't betting much) that my sisters are at least ten times more like to need to use a different phone because they can't get service than me on Rogers.

Rogers does suck balls, but let's not get carried away. The service Rogers offers is far superior to what Wind has.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #125
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
When does this happen?

How is it that people with these cut rate plans always talk about how they get great service and people with others are always using their phone cause they don't have it?

I work in the oil field and have Rogers and rarely lose coverage and talk to others with Rogers or Telus and rarely hear them complain about coverage.
When I moved back to Calgary I was on Telus and my phone lost coverage as much (sometimes/rarely) on Telus as I do now with Wind.

Talking to people about their own cell phones plans are like talking about commute times, it's almost impossible to get real answers.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #126
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
Rogers does suck balls, but let's not get carried away. The service Rogers offers is far superior to what Wind has.
What did you just say about not getting carried away?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #127
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...nd#post3388425
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Wind has awful reception and drops many calls. So many times I'll call my sister who is with Wind and it would say her phone is unavailable even though she's at home. I'd stay away from them.
Quote:
I'm with Rogers and my sisters are with Wind. I will bet my life savings (ok, ok, that isn't betting much) that my sisters are at least ten times more like to need to use a different phone because they can't get service than me on Rogers.
hehehehe
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #128
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Umm doesnt wind roam on rogers towers..... therefore if you get rogers service wind should too. Now it might have been they didnt want to pay roaming but if you got a signil they should have too
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #129
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Would it be worthwhile since I live in Cochrane and spend a lot of time in Bragg Creek, Canmore and Whitefish or is something like Koodo the better choice. I'm not sure how the roaming works for Wind and that's why I've stayed away.
Not yet winds network is limited to calgary so you would be roaming all the time and therefore spend more money
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #130
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post

He also went back to his old posting ways. Pucky was getting much better at discussion but now that he's under the Iginla handle it seems like he's just masturbating again.

Also "Iginla" as a handle should be a calgarypuck bylaw no no.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #131
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We've become so conditioned to ridiculous pricing and now described ~$35 a month service as "Cut Rate".

Quote:
Maybe I am going to the lucky places or I talk to the lucky few that get coverage but these coverage issues seem way overblown by former customers/little guy phone users.
The reality is that ALL carriers have excellent coverage within the urban areas. And yes, Wind piggybacks on Rogers' network for roaming.

I stand by my statement from several weeks ago. If your use is primarily (80%) urban, you'd be silly not to switch to Wind. If you work out of town and using a lot of voice/data, a Big Three is still the way to go.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #132
CFENT
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
We've become so conditioned to ridiculous pricing and now described ~$35 a month service as "Cut Rate".

The reality is that ALL carriers have excellent coverage within the urban areas. And yes, Wind piggybacks on Rogers' network for roaming.

I stand by my statement from several weeks ago. If your use is primarily (80%) urban, you'd be silly not to switch to Wind. If you work out of town and using a lot of voice/data, a Big Three is still the way to go.
Wind only piggybacks on Rogers outdated 2G(GSM) network so the coverage is not the same a Rogers/Bell/Telus 3G. You also have to pay a different rate - for voice, data and text- if you roam off Rogers even if you are in the city.
CFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #133
CFENT
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
If you take a quick look at the "LTE in Calgary, Rogers or Telus" thread you'll notice a lot of posts about reception issues IN the city with rogers especially.
LTE is only data and has no effect on voice. If your LTE cuts out you should fall back to HSPA+ which on Telus and Bell is still way faster then wind.
CFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #134
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
When does this happen?

How is it that people on Rogers or Telus talk about how wind has bad reception and people with wind have lots of bad service and slow speeds (not a shot at you by any means).

I'm not saying wind is perfect, i'm saying rogers isn't as well.

Wind has low or no signal on the fringes of the city, rogers has deadspots (parkland for example) and drops calls once in a while. That's just my personal expieience.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #135
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What does everyone use to measure their mobile data speed?
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #136
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

speedtest?
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #137
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of speedtest, has anyone noticed a huge increase in down speed on Wind lately? I hit 8.6 mbps down (0.8 up) this morning.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #138
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
speedtest?
figures.. by the way people were talking, it sounded like there was a mobile optimized site for testing mobile data speeds..
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #139
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

there's a speedtest mobile app....
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secol For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #140
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Made the switch after more than 10 years with Rogers/Fido.

$399 for the Huawei Ascend P1 - Awesome display. Fast, duo-core cpu. Smooth ICS, and $200 less than a Samsung SII. Polaris Office software included too!

$29 unlimited plan. 75-100% signal strength in Panorama Hills just south of Stoney Trail. Over 3mbps download speed.

Nothing to complaint about, so far.
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote