Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #321
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Should I move back to Calgary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I can't bring myself to read 16 pages of this thread, but I'm guessing people are really excited to see peter12 move back to Calgary?

Weirdly it has just been the people in Vancouver.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:40 PM   #322
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
That’s because you’ve been conditioned by employers to only see negatives. It’s not your fault you just don’t think it through. In your hypothetical if someone was brought in from a competitor and paid a higher salary then knowing that provides leverage to existing employees when their review comes up. Clearly the job is worth X dollars, my performance is worth that much as well.

Just look at what happened to NHL salaries once they became public. It’s absolutely in the best interests of employees for salaries to be public. Those making more still will, and those making less will be able to fight for their worth with comparables.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #323
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm late to the party on this one, but can't believe I was missing out on a thread to talk about hating living in Vancouver. I don't think I have any greater regret in life than moving back here, and I don't think I can possibly handle another winter here. It's so dark, so boring and so depressing. Living in Vancouver feels like living in a damp, mouldy basement, but one that's full of people who believe it's the best place on earth. It's really phenomenally disappointing.

Also, I feel like a lot of people living in Vancouver don't even understand what the city is. It's basically a retirement villa for the world's rich, with a large class of working quasi poor who service them. That is the reason Vancouver real estate will always go up. It's not because Vancouver is actually an amazing city, or because of Vancouver's local economy. It's just a place the new money of the world can move children and assets to for safekeeping and investment, and Canada's dependence on immigration for growth will continue fueling this for the foreseeable future.

There is remarkable cognitive dissonance locally among people who think this is some sort of enlightened city leading in social conscience when there is an obvious massive wealth gap, slums, huge issues with drugs, and the worst ratio of wages to cost of living in North America. But, mountains and water, so... what more could you want?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #324
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Terrible defeatism. I understand pessimism, but if we make good choices as a community, we will grow and thrive.
We're talking about betting a significant chunk of a person's lifetime and wealth on that possibility, though.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #325
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
We're talking about betting a significant chunk of a person's lifetime and wealth on that possibility, though.
It's peter. I take that risk any day of the week.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #326
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's peter. I take that risk any day of the week.
I'm just trying to put myself into his shoes. His expensive, pretentious shoes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #327
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm skeptical we're turning into Winnipeg anytime soon. The doom stuff is comical when you consider the backdrop of a province producing 4mbpd for a few more decades.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #328
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I'm late to the party on this one, but can't believe I was missing out on a thread to talk about hating living in Vancouver. I don't think I have any greater regret in life than moving back here, and I don't think I can possibly handle another winter here. It's so dark, so boring and so depressing. Living in Vancouver feels like living in a damp, mouldy basement, but one that's full of people who believe it's the best place on earth. It's really phenomenally disappointing.

Also, I feel like a lot of people living in Vancouver don't even understand what the city is. It's basically a retirement villa for the world's rich, with a large class of working quasi poor who service them. That is the reason Vancouver real estate will always go up. It's not because Vancouver is actually an amazing city, or because of Vancouver's local economy. It's just a place the new money of the world can move children and assets to for safekeeping and investment, and Canada's dependence on immigration for growth will continue fueling this for the foreseeable future.

There is remarkable cognitive dissonance locally among people who think this is some sort of enlightened city leading in social conscience when there is an obvious massive wealth gap, slums, huge issues with drugs, and the worst ratio of wages to cost of living in North America. But, mountains and water, so... what more could you want?
I am in overwhelming agreement with this post.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #329
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

My partner and I are in strong agreement that we will be leaving this dumpy old grey town within in the next 1.5 years (basically waiting until after the pandemic) and Calgary is top of the list. Thank you so much to everyone here for sharing their perspective. I really appreciate it.

I have some pretty strong nostalgia for Calgary these days.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #330
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
My partner and I are in strong agreement that we will be leaving this dumpy old grey town within in the next 1.5 years (basically waiting until after the pandemic) and Calgary is top of the list. Thank you so much to everyone here for sharing their perspective. I really appreciate it.

If you get there and find there isn't a decent haberdashery in the whole city you may regret it
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:27 PM   #331
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If you get there and find there isn't a decent haberdashery in the whole city you may regret it
There's no decent place to buy clothes in Vancouver! Sometimes I will go into Haven, but I just order most of my stuff from my favourite stores in Calgary.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #332
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For her to truly evaluate her options, she should join CP and make her own thread about moving.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #333
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
For her to truly evaluate her options, she should join CP and make her own thread about moving.
I would love another jhunt223/Bronzel CP moment.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #334
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You would all love that.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #335
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Calgary is sweet and you’ll be glad you moved back. I do think things are poised to turn around here and lots of positive grass shoots here not only in oil and gas either. My good friend (you know him too) works for mayors office and sounds like there’s some pretty cool stuff coming down the pipe soon for Calgary in non oil and gas industries.

Pumped for you as always exciting to make a decision like that. Fair warning though the weather... hasn’t changed... haha.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #336
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

David Duchovny's infamous comments on Vancouver come to mind reading this thread:

Quote:
Back in 1997, Duchovny faced the wrath of Vancouverites after he complained about the city's weather during an appearance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

"Vancouver is a very nice place if you like 400 inches of rainfall a day," Duchovny quipped.

"It is kind of like a tropical rain forest without the tropics."

He also said he wanted the show to be moved to Los Angeles so that he could spend more time with his wife.

At the time, the pushback from Vancouverites was so strong, Tourism Vancouver held a media availability upon his return.

Duchovny was also greeted on set by a man dressed as a "rain forest princess."

Years later, Duchovny returned to Conan O'Brien's show and addressed his earlier comments.

"I'm a little nervous about being here because my last appearance made my life a living hell for about eight months," he joked.

He said his house was egged and he was referred to as the "rain man."
NSFW!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 11:59 PM   #337
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's no decent place to buy clothes in Vancouver! Sometimes I will go into Haven, but I just order most of my stuff from my favourite stores in Calgary.
Pete, go to 'The Shop' off East Hastings. Yes, off East Hastings.
It's an old friend's shop, and get some proper Tellason.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:26 AM   #338
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My brother who is 6 foot 3, 220 walked into Holts in Van and no joke the salesperson says sorry dude unless you’re a thin gay Asian guy we got nothing for you here.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #339
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Something I learned about Vancouver is that a lot of the time, you can't really walk on the grass. If you leave the sidewalk you're just wading through mud.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #340
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Something I learned about Vancouver is that a lot of the time, you can't really walk on the grass. If you leave the sidewalk you're just wading through mud.
In my experience in the Kitsilano area, you are much more likely to end up in dog ####. I couldn't believe how much of it was all over the grass.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote