Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #81
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

BUUMP

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...TaCAINmbpG35ns

Quote:
Alberta's superintendent of insurance issued more than $1.5 million in fines against 16 auto insurance companies for overcharging motorists for coverage, but what hasn't been revealed is how much extra money drivers had to pay.

The Insurance Bureau of Canada and several of the penalized companies say the money has already been refunded to drivers.

The TD Bank Group, which includes Primmum Insurance, Security National Insurance Company and TD Home and Auto Insurance, received $885,000 in fines, the highest amount among all of the companies that were penalized.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #82
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not surprised to see TD on that list. My house insurance just got raised from $2 to $5K. No claims and no changes in policy, all comparison shopping showed that it should still be in the $2K range.

Called them and they couldn't figure out why it jumped. Its been almost two weeks and they still don't have an answer.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #83
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Not surprised to see TD on that list. My house insurance just got raised from $2 to $5K. No claims and no changes in policy, all comparison shopping showed that it should still be in the $2K range.

Called them and they couldn't figure out why it jumped. Its been almost two weeks and they still don't have an answer.

Just got my renewal from TD as well. 20% increase on a policy that has been claim free since we got it 14 years ago. They will be getting a phone call tomorrow.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #84
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been told from an insurance broker friend that we should treat insurance like cell phone contracts. It is a good idea to shop around and switch to other providers every now and then to get the discounts and offers...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #85
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I've been told from an insurance broker friend that we should treat insurance like cell phone contracts. It is a good idea to shop around and switch to other providers every now and then to get the discounts and offers...
So much ####ing work though to enter all the info and debate each option.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #86
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
So much ####ing work though to enter all the info and debate each option.
That's what a broker is for. They do the shopping for you. Best decision I ever made.

My TD premiums went up every year. Back when I turned 25, they went up even though I fell into a lower risk category. I asked them why, and they gave me some crap excuse even though I knew I was now considered lower risk. Went to a broker and saved myself a crap load. Keep in mind these businesses know how to make money and if you care about your money, you should do a little work every couple years to ensure you are spending it wisely. If you don't want to do the work, perhaps you think there are just better things to do with your time.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #87
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an employee group policy with TD Meloche Monnex, and my 2012 AM V8VS is way more expensive to insure versus my 2009 AM V8V. The current car is kept in a private garage in a neighbourbood outside of downtown, while the 2009 lived its life exclusively in a resident parking garage in Victoria Park and -- later -- Beltline. Essentially the same bloody car in a safer area with lower annual kilometres and same unblemished record, aaaaand double the premium. Weirdly, my 2020 renewal came ~May (effective June 20) and the Mercedes did NOT go up.

So if anyone knows of a good insurance broker, I would be interested in getting a few quotes. We have both mine and my wife's vehicles plus our home insurance on Meloche.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #88
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

W/ TD Meloche Monnex - my renewal came down $11 a month, so $132 for the year.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #89
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was with TD for over 10 years because at the time they were much better than anyone at the time. Years went by and slowly they started increased their rates for both my auto and home policies, nothing crazy but the typical 5-10% a year that is barely noticeable. That is on top of reducing my coverage, especially for flood events. I never really shopped other than phoning a few places but never made a switch. Not one claim on anything in over 10 years.

This year I finally had enough and went to a broker. She did her shopping for me and I founds something 5-10% cheaper for the same coverage for my home and auto. And just like that I switched. I called TD to cancel my policies and expected to be passed to their loyalty department but they did not even ask why I was cancelling. From now on I'm just going to a broker every 3-4 years, loyalty is not even a thing anymore apparently.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dynamic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #90
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Auto Insurance Premiums to go up in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
So if anyone knows of a good insurance broker, I would be interested in getting a few quotes. We have both mine and my wife's vehicles plus our home insurance on Meloche.
I’m in the same boat. Would be interested as well.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #91
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Same. Was with TD and our house has gone up 40% in the last 2 years. Time to change since loyalty is NFG apparently.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #92
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are with All State, house insurance actually came down for 2020 about 5%. Also changed wife to pleasure only driving as she’s working from home now AND they given us two stay at home cheque’s in the mail at about $40 each. I would highly recommend them based on my agent and his office.

Been with the for four years now. Was previously with AMA and our house insurance went up $100/ year for 6 straight years. That was when we switched as between 2008 and 2015 it doubled.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-30-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #93
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just to add to the good broker.....as I was in insurance up to a few years ago is that a good broker is worth checking, but the broker can only do as much as they can with the companies they have.

If the broker only has a few companies to work with they will not be able to shop much and realistically that is not their fault. If you have a broker that reps several companies you will have more chance of getting a better option.

The company I was working for lost a few of their companies and hardly had anything to offer clients and many clients left for other brokers that had options.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #94
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

OK so what insurance brokers would ya'll recommend? (either specific persons, or brokerage company names).
Also considering shopping around for home, vehicles coverage.
Also what will provide additional discounted rates? (ie professional affiliations/memberships).
tx.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #95
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

I use A-Win in Airdrie, but I believe they have several locations.

Been very happy with the cost and service over the 4 years I have had them. Recently re-upped with them, and no one else was able to get close to the coverage and price.

PM me if you want to get the name of my guy and pass on that I referred you.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #96
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bump....

Tired of dealing with Aviva and tired of dealing with a broker who doesn’t do SFA when I asked her to quote me rates from the other providers she deals with...
Any insurance brokers (auto/house) on CP looking for business, or anybody care to give props to their broker?
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #97
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marsh Private Client Services (Canada) is worth a call. They use a painful call center model, but had access to a large number of underwriters (i.e. Aviva, Economical, RSA). They haven't blinked one when I direct them to remarket my polices annually - and have come through.

Depending on who you work for you may get some weird benefits - for example the company I work for had property polices with RSA, so I as an employee got 15% off personal property policies with RSA.

Just hope you get a good and diligent agent.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #98
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Marsh Private Client Services (Canada) is worth a call. They use a painful call center model, but had access to a large number of underwriters (i.e. Aviva, Economical, RSA). They haven't blinked one when I direct them to remarket my polices annually - and have come through.

Depending on who you work for you may get some weird benefits - for example the company I work for had property polices with RSA, so I as an employee got 15% off personal property policies with RSA.

Just hope you get a good and diligent agent.
Been using Marsh Private Client Services for years. Have always gotten me the best rates.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:04 PM   #99
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Been using Marsh Private Client Services for years. Have always gotten me the best rates.
Just received our TD (National Insurance) for our house/home stuff and not only has it gone up but they've added a monthly 3% rider for paying instalments. Not too impressed. Looks like time to shop around.

Anyone know if Marsh or others give "preferred" rates or promotions for any specific affiliations, groups, etc...?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote