Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #1381
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yeah, the Vizio 5.1 set is definitely a value buy, but I also feel that this 5.1 sound bar punches significantly above its weight class in terms of pricing.

If the sound is a little funky, I definitely suggest looking up some of the settings suggestions online to tweak that sound bar system to see if you can iron out some of the most obvious sound oddities (if you get them). Easiest is to just reset all settings to default or factory settings. I did the same thing with my set after being stupid and dealing with weird muffled voices for a while. Adjusting basic settings didn't work, but resetting everything to default did. That and playing with some of the TV/PS4 etc settings like PCM vs Surround sound options.

Apparently there are also settings that can cause the following:
- Minor crackling noise (change to direct input setting)
- Excessive bass (bass setting or reset to factory settings)

IMO, this sound bar is really good akin to finishing a hand of poker with triple jacks. It's a strong hand, there's a ton of options out there that are superior to that hand, but to beat it, you're likely relying on a 5 card combo to defeat it.
I haven't tried too hard... But I have no idea how to change the settings on system haha.

I undersold it there after using it more now. It was defintely well worth the $200.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #1382
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Lol, that's an interesting analogy there, DoubleF.

I think anytime you're setting up an external sound system, there is some tweaking to be done to get it to sound right. Can't wait to see how easy or difficult it is to do with a full on receiver and speakers in a true 5.1 or 7.1 system.
Thanks.

I bought an older version 40" version without HDMI input or app for around $320 used two years ago and I thought I got a good deal.

You have no idea how jealous I was when my buddy nabbed his for around $220 for an Amazon refurb. Then, the damn Costco deal at $210 kept me up at night. I had that thing in my cart a bunch of times, but I could never justify pulling the trigger. I look at sound bar upgrades on occasion, and everything I see is generally around $500 or above for a clear upgrade to this set up. Of the sound bars I've played with though, it seems like this one is much easier than the typical bar to screw up settings and get horrible noise (but factory reset to start over is easy to do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I haven't tried too hard... But I have no idea how to change the settings on system haha.

I undersold it there after using it more now. It was defintely well worth the $200.
You can either use the basic remote to reset to factory or change settings, or I believe the one you bought has the ability to install and pair with an app to tweak settings.

My buddy says the app is a archaic looking and perhaps a little slow, but he says he's happy to have it (rather than not have it) and uses it more than the remote it came with.

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-16-2019 at 11:30 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #1383
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Thanks.

You can either use the basic remote to reset to factory or change settings, or I believe the one you bought has the ability to install and pair with an app to tweak settings.

My buddy says the app is a archaic looking and perhaps a little slow, but he says he's happy to have it (rather than not have it) and uses it more than the remote it came with.
Ok I will have to look into it. I havn't used the remote at all it pairs really nicely with my vizio tv. The default settings have been great so far but I will have to fine tune it a little bit perhaps.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #1384
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This thread is so big I think I'll just ask fresh. I need purchasing a 4k TV explained to me like I'm five. I want to pick something up on sale at some point, but I want to get the best bang for my buck with a great picture.

My uses: Gaming, TV, 4k sports, 4k Netflix

What I'd like to know: Which features to make sure I get and explain them briefly - 60hz vs 120 hz, OLED (lights every pixel or something?) etc

Would like to spend like $900-$1300 on sale (willing to wait) so probably looking at $1100-$1600 in current price. Would prefer 65inch but would be good with 60-75 for the right TV/deal.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #1385
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Also, let me know if there's anymore info from me that would help steer me closer to a specific TV.

I know Sony 4k TV's looked the best to my eyes in Best Buy, but I've been told A) They sometimes use different sources on different TV's on in store set ups and B) I likely won't be using any sources that will get the most of a TV anyway, so the difference between a $1200 and $2500 TV may be completely negligible once in the house.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #1386
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used this website during my search. Helped out a lot.

https://www.rtings.com/tv

Lots of info on different tvs and they rank the different specs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #1387
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weitz has hit the nail on the head.

I use rtings and a website called the Wirecutter.

I've stopped buying junk by following Wirecutter reviews.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #1388
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have two Sonos Play 1's.

Moving into a new house this spring and want an effective way to use these in a home theatre set up.

Should I be buying the Playbase? Playbar? Something else?

I don't really want to end up buying a bunch of extra stuff. The room is relatively small.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #1389
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This thread is so big I think I'll just ask fresh. I need purchasing a 4k TV explained to me like I'm five. I want to pick something up on sale at some point, but I want to get the best bang for my buck with a great picture.

My uses: Gaming, TV, 4k sports, 4k Netflix

What I'd like to know: Which features to make sure I get and explain them briefly - 60hz vs 120 hz, OLED (lights every pixel or something?) etc

Would like to spend like $900-$1300 on sale (willing to wait) so probably looking at $1100-$1600 in current price. Would prefer 65inch but would be good with 60-75 for the right TV/deal.
I've been looking a bit and am in the same boat. Good point that it will only look as good as your source. It won't make streaming video better. Same goes for 120 hz. That means it can process 120 frames per second. But ps4s tap out at 60, and a lot of movies 30. There's a lot of jargon now like 'true motion' which maybe does some work in the background.

As far as I know OLED offers the best black contrast in addition to best viewing angles. Out of my price range though (or willingness to pay). Still window shopping!

Last edited by calumniate; 01-21-2019 at 11:33 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #1390
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So i'm trying to figure the best solution to a problem (sort-of) that I have.

I want to be able to stream videos/movies from my computer to my projector/home theater set up. Would a chrome cast be best for this? Is there another way?

I preferably would not want to use an HDMI from the computer to the projector/receiver because I dislike having to use the computer screen on a TV/Projector.

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #1391
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Use Plex?

It works pretty good if you have an Android TV box.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #1392
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Use Plex?

It works pretty good if you have an Android TV box.
I don't have anything really. Just an Xbox one and a receiver.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #1393
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire TV stick or Roku then.

I'm not sure if Plex works on Chromecast.

Edit: Google says it does, I haven't tried it in a long time it used to be buggy.

Last edited by DoubleK; 01-22-2019 at 11:16 AM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #1394
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have anything really. Just an Xbox one and a receiver.
Xbox One should be able to install Plex. If you have a home network, I think theoretically there might be a way to stream files from another location on the network from the Xbox (ie: NAS server or another computer or something).

But I don't have any experience with Plex. I'm actually in the process of lazily trying to set something up at my place that I can try to stream via PS4/Apple TV, so depending on what others suggest to you, I may steal the ideas.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 11:32 PM   #1395
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So finally had my sub delivered. But sound isn’t any different. Do I need a new sub cable? There some sound coming out of it but I feel like a 12” sub should be noticeable when connected? Because I can’t tell the difference if I’m not touching it.

My towers are providing more bass?

Last edited by Weitz; 01-22-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #1396
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So finally had my sub delivered. But sound isn’t any different. Do I need a new sub cable? There some sound coming out of it but I feel like a 12” sub should be noticeable when connected? Because I can’t tell the difference if I’m not touching it.

My towers are providing more bass?
two things

1) What the typical person perceives as "bass" is often a frequency response bump in the 100hz - 250hz range.

A subwoofer should be operating in the 20hz - 100hz range. If level matched correctly it should not actually be noticeable unless the source material contains the information. Additionally while a subwoofer increases your headroom you have to actually utilize said headroom. Often this reality can be disappointing because people have false expectations of the job of a subwoofer. Often people are expecting inaccurate frequency response- a boom effect - rather than simple reproduction of the source material.

2) frequencies below the Schroeder frequency of a room are dominated not by the source but rather by its interaction of standing waves within the room itself. Two towers placed at typical tower locations will often naturally produce more even frequency response than the unpredictable peals and valleys of a single subwoofer placed "somewhere" within the room. Placement of the subwoofer has more effect than distance due to the physical size of the wavelengths at these frequencies. Ideal setups always utilize multiple subwoofers in a room to cause a random and even distribution of standing waves. Experiment with placement. Ideally you should possess the actual ability to measure frequency response at your seating position as the ear can't identify the nulls and peaks that standing waves cause.

One more thing actually although I think it is unrelated to your issue:

A 12" subwoofer is actually really limited for LFE reproduction. It's simple physics- you need a certain amount of displacement of air to hit a cerrtain SPL at a ceertain frequency. This is especially true below ~35hz and even moreso at infrasonic frequencies.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-23-2019 at 06:19 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #1397
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
two things

1) What the typical person perceives as "bass" is often a frequency response bump in the 100hz - 250hz range.

A subwoofer should be operating in the 20hz - 100hz range. If level matched correctly it should not actually be noticeable unless the source material contains the information. Additionally while a subwoofer increases your headroom you have to actually utilize said headroom. Often this reality can be disappointing because people have false expectations of the job of a subwoofer. Often people are expecting inaccurate frequency response- a boom effect - rather than simple reproduction of the source material.

2) frequencies below the Schroeder frequency of a room are dominated not by the source but rather by its interaction of standing waves within the room itself. Two towers placed at typical tower locations will often naturally produce more even frequency response than the unpredictable peals and valleys of a single subwoofer placed "somewhere" within the room. Placement of the subwoofer has more effect than distance due to the physical size of the wavelengths at these frequencies. Ideal setups always utilize multiple subwoofers in a room to cause a random and even distribution of standing waves. Experiment with placement. Ideally you should possess the actual ability to measure frequency response at your seating position as the ear can't identify the nulls and peaks that standing waves cause.

One more thing actually although I think it is unrelated to your issue:

A 12" subwoofer is actually really limited for LFE reproduction. It's simple physics- you need a certain amount of displacement of air to hit a cerrtain SPL at a ceertain frequency. This is especially true below ~35hz and even moreso at infrasonic frequencies.
I think I was expecting to be "blown away" haha. Maybe a few too many beers at the game last night.

I'll do a more level approach tonight, it definitely sounded better.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:14 AM   #1398
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have much else to add right now other than I'm really impressed with HD projectors. I saw a BenQ projector at my work and was blown away at how good it was
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #1399
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought an Epson 8350 back around 2013 and it was awesome! But I ended up selling it with that house.

So now I'm considering going back to a projector. Only this time it would be in my living room (decent amount of ambient light during the day) and mounted on a sloped ceiling (45 degree angle).

Anyone have projector experience with some ambient light and a sloped ceiling?
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #1400
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think I was expecting to be "blown away" haha. Maybe a few too many beers at the game last night.

I'll do a more level approach tonight, it definitely sounded better.
There is test material that you can use to see how a sub is performing. One of those reference blu rays that testers use is the Pacific Rim blu ray.

If you play the Pacific Rim blu ray and your neighbour does not complain, then your sub is not working or too weak. You should feel a 12 for that, you don't hear a sub, you feel it. Of course it should be in context of the movie and not over the top, that movie does use a very heavy lfe track though. How big is your HT room?

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 01-28-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote