Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #21
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think Tkachuk signs for under $8 mil.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #22
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Tkachuk sign before the offseason? There are a lot of RFA's that are getting big contracts this summer. Will he want to miss out on that?

Either way with all the RFA's this summer it will be interesting to see how negotiations across the league go.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #23
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
If the Gio-cap exists, Tkachuk is going 6 years max.

If the Gio cap doesn't exist, Tkachuk could go 7 or 8 years in the $7-$7.5M range.
Except they could sign Tkachuk to a 8yr x 7.5M AAV without violating the "Gio-cap".

6.75 (Gio-cap)
6.75 (Gio-cap)
6.75 (Gio-cap)

= 8 yrs @ 7.5M AAV
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #24
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Rittich's deal is really hard. There are countless examples (Kipper, Holtby etc.) where locking them in early, could have saved a boat load of money. However, for every one of those, there are many more Hamburglers. Could you imagine being stuck with a 4 x $4M of Andrew Hammond. There are signs that Rittich is the real deal, but there are a number of hoops he still needs to jump through to be paid like a proven starter. Success under playoff pressure would be one of those.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #25
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad the buffalo fan has weighed in with his opinion.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #26
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Will Tkachuk sign before the offseason? There are a lot of RFA's that are getting big contracts this summer. Will he want to miss out on that?

Either way with all the RFA's this summer it will be interesting to see how negotiations across the league go.
I dont think there is a chance that happens.

I think the big group of star RFA's wait until Matthews signs, as he sets the bar for all IMO.

I'm starting to really wonder is AM/agent don't explore offer-sheets. There are a few teams i could see trying that option.....even though it very rarely works.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I am really, really hoping that somehow Treliving is going to put on his wizarding hat and work out a deal to get Tkachuk done within the "Gio cap". Yes, I know that 6.75M would be the deal of the century, but I think it's important to maintain a team-first structure and mentality. Tkachuk is extremely important to the team, but is he more important than Gio or Johnny? The Flames are at the tipping point where if salaries escalate much past their current threshold, it will be hard to maintain a competitive team. I hope Tkachuk sees it the same way as I feel this group is just getting started and it would suck to see them split up because of financial constraints.
but why should it be on him to give up a well deserved extra million or so per year?
he should get fair market value and the GM make up savings in other areas. I'm darn sure the flames can easily have a contending team under the cap if Tkachuk made 7.5. he shouldn't have to give up money he deserves.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I am really, really hoping that somehow Treliving is going to put on his wizarding hat and work out a deal to get Tkachuk done within the "Gio cap". Yes, I know that 6.75M would be the deal of the century, but I think it's important to maintain a team-first structure and mentality. Tkachuk is extremely important to the team, but is he more important than Gio or Johnny? The Flames are at the tipping point where if salaries escalate much past their current threshold, it will be hard to maintain a competitive team. I hope Tkachuk sees it the same way as I feel this group is just getting started and it would suck to see them split up because of financial constraints.

I think what Treliving will do 6.75 until Gio is gone and then escalate. No way you keep Tkachuk under 6.75 AAV
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #29
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Except they could sign Tkachuk to a 8yr x 7.5M AAV without violating the "Gio-cap".

6.75 (Gio-cap)
6.75 (Gio-cap)
6.75 (Gio-cap)

= 8 yrs @ 7.5M AAV
$8.75M over those last 5 years and I think you're closer.

Have to figure Tkachuk is getting at least $64M over an 8 year term.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
If the Gio-cap exists, Tkachuk is going 6 years max.

If the Gio cap doesn't exist, Tkachuk could go 7 or 8 years in the $7-$7.5M range.
I doubt that the Gio cap exists, or to the extent it does, Treliving can convince Gio that it's a new world. Given the length of Gio's contract and the age it took him to, I doubt whether any policy on exceeding his salary was for the whole time anyway.

That said, I think that it's pretty likely that the term is less than the max in return for a lower cap hit. Plus, I'm not sure how bonuses would impact any Gio cap.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #31
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Glad the buffalo fan has weighed in with his opinion.
The nice thing about posts like this is it makes it easy to know which clowns should be on my ignore list.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #32
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

For Tkachuk I'd like to see a deal that pays him no more than the lesser of Johnny and Gio's contracts year by year. I'd take shorter duration to maintain the team's cap structure. Plus a low contract value keeps him moveable in the last year if that starts to look like a good move.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #33
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Gio cap is applied, and I'm not sure it is, the only fair way to look at it would be to adjust it based on the overall growth in salaries or cap since it was originally signed.
So if for instance the cap has risen by 15% since he signed that (I have no idea what the actual number is) the applied Gio cap should be 7.76
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #34
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The nice thing about posts like this is it makes it easy to know which clowns should be on my ignore list.
It isn't exactly news that your team ownership has insanely deep pockets and isn't shy about handing big-ass contracts out.

But oh no, let's throw a hissy fit over being ribbed over it. That really works!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The timing for contract talks is pretty good. There is a nine day break coming up in two weeks. That gives all parties some time to make a deal, without distracting from hockey.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #36
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think chances are slim, but if Tkachuk's camp think they are getting paid fairly, then perhaps they sign now so that the summer is free to enjoy the Cup win. I mean, if both sides are happy, then put pen to paper.

I'm truly more interested in the Rittich deal because I'm not sure at all what he's getting, nor what would be a fair starting point in negotiations. I think something along the lines of 2 years at $3.75MM keep the player happy and give the club some flexibility. If Rittich turns out to be the next Kipper, then you happily pay him what he's worth.

The Tkachuk deal will be big money and term, that's almost a given. Not even that interesting.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #37
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
We going to call each other names now? I love it. Honest question...why do you even post here? You don't derail threads, but no one on these boards plops awkward unrelated comments (usually about your team) into threads like you do.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #38
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a feeling Tkachuk's camp is going to wait and see what Marner gets and base their negotiations around that deal. It would be great to get him signed earlier, but I'm not sure it happens.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grubauer makes $3.3
Matt Murray $3.75

Both more accomplished goalies than Rittich. I don't think you offer Rittich a big money deal with term on the basis of 25 games or so.

If he wants term, it's going to have to be cheap. And being an RFA, he cam't look for big money on a short term deal either.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
...I'm truly more interested in the Rittich deal because I'm not sure at all what he's getting, nor what would be a fair starting point in negotiations. I think something along the lines of 2 years at $3.75MM keep the player happy and give the club some flexibility. If Rittich turns out to be the next Kipper, then you happily pay him what he's worth...
I think this is possibly a number Rittich commands in the off-season, but even then I am sceptical. As of today the Flames are likely not budging far off of a $2.0 m cap hit in their talks of an extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote