Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #461
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well as it should be next week will feature the best four teams in the league over the 2018 season.

The Chargers and Bears both had more wins than the Patriots this season.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #462
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They showed the stat last week, I can't remember the exact number, but I think that it was between 2003 and 2013 a team from Wild Card weekend made the Super Bowl almost every year. But since 2013 it's been all teams who've had byes and it will be again this year. Mostly suggests the top teams in each conference are just stronger now than in that previous stretch.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #463
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The Chargers and Bears both had more wins than the Patriots this season.
Maybe but the Patriots beat them both head to head.

New England was able to handle playoff teams but struggled on the road at times. I think it was a bit of a Super bowl hangover where they always didn't have that A Level intensity. Something they won't lack next week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #464
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Well Sainters I hope you're not so into the festivities in New Orleans that you forget to go to the game. Hopefully you get a good game to watch.
No that was after the game haha..I woke up today with no pants on but in full jersey and Mardi Gras beads on, just porky pig'n it..what an experience last night, great game to be at.

Sad about Rankins' season being done, tall order against Rams' rush attack like that.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #465
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think the Pats can beat the Saints and Rams in a neutral site. I don't think they can beat the Chiefs in KC. Cold weather could make that a coin flip though.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #466
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chiefs playing for a conference championship? I don’t know how to act.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #467
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
No that was after the game haha..I woke up today with no pants on but in full jersey and Mardi Gras beads on, just porky pig'n it..what an experience last night, great game to be at.
That sound's like the life I wish I was living. Worth the money because you'll always remember the experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #468
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Chiefs playing for a conference championship? I don’t know how to act.
I know...I half ways wonder if this is the NFL or the days of the AFL and the NFL.

Than again this is the first time since the days of Len Dawson where the Chiefs have a QB that you think can go out and win a game for you. Nothing against Alex Smith, but last year when Travis Kelce got knocked out of the game against Tennessee, Smith couldn't adjust to keep the team going. This year you feel like Mahomes will be able to improvise and still make plays if that was to happen.

New England is still a tall task, and I'm a bit surprised that KC is the favorite for that game.

I think the group of Jones, Nandi, and Bailey need to push the pocket to make Brady uncomfortable. I expect that New England will try to run the ball, and use that short passing game again this week, as that's the match ups that should work for them. So if the pressure can be in Brady's face and he can't throw it right away, he's human and will lose accuracy on the passes.

When the Bronco's beat New England two years ago Von Miller had a really good game, but I thought it was Denvers defensive line that made the day. They were forcing Brady to step back and hold the ball which gave Miller time to wreak havoc. They hit him a lot, and as a result he threw a lot of incompletions. Jacksonville had some success too last year with their D-Line being able to generate interior pressure. Same with the Ravens when they had a younger Halit Ngata to be a beast at the interior of the line. When you play Brady, that's what you're looking for, force him into the 50% completion range. He's not going to take a lot of sacks or turn the ball over. But if he's throwing incompletions, on that short passing game, you'll be able to get some stop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #469
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rams and Pats for the W's this weekend.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #470
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sylvanfan, there is no denying the issues the chiefs had on defense this season. (It did make every game a nail biter though). The one thing they did very well was pressure the QB. I mean we had a defense that ended up 31st overall. However, we had two players awarded the AFC Defensive player of the month this season. Now with a healthy Justin Houston, I think your analysis is dead on. Brady was never very mobile, and he is noticeably slower this season. But, it is still the Patriots and they always win. Hopefully it’s a good game.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #471
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Sylvanfan, there is no denying the issues the chiefs had on defense this season. (It did make every game a nail biter though). The one thing they did very well was pressure the QB. I mean we had a defense that ended up 31st overall. However, we had two players awarded the AFC Defensive player of the month this season. Now with a healthy Justin Houston, I think your analysis is dead on. Brady was never very mobile, and he is noticeably slower this season. But, it is still the Patriots and they always win. Hopefully it’s a good game.
There are a couple of things the Chiefs have in their pocket. Andy Reid is a good offensive schemer and game planner. The Chiefs have put up 40 or more points against the Patriots 3 of the 4 times he's gone up against Belichick as the Chiefs head coach. Granted those were all earlier season meetings, but two of those games were in Foxboro. It will be tough to do it at this time in the season in difficult weather. But it's probably a good bet that the Chiefs will need 30+ points to win the game.

Brady's only win in Arrowhead IIRC was in 2004 when the Chiefs were not a very good team. Other than that it hasn't been a place he's played at much, or had a lot of success at.

Hopefully it's a good game. I'd like another 41-14 type game for the Chiefs myself...but I don't see that happening. I think New England win's, if the Chiefs do....I'm not at work on Monday.

I think the Saints will beat the Rams to keep my New England and New Orleans prediction valid. I think it's close though. I'll say 30-27 Saints as I think the Rams can run the ball in this game.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #472
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough call for me this week, as I'm feeling the need to stick with my original pre playoffs, Saints vs Pats Super Bowl..But when I made that prediction I was expecting a Colts @ Pats AFCCG. Pats on the road in Arrowhead is a different story..also, the Saints missing Sheldon Rankins down the middle now against that Rams rush attack is a big task. I could frankly see both games going either way. I'll stick with my original prediction though:

SAINTS
PATRIOTS

I'd much rather see a Saints/Chiefs Super Bowl though, that would be so much fun.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #473
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I felt last weekend the Chiefs and Patriots were both impressive in victory and the Saints and Rams not overly impressive. Makes things harder to predict. That said I'm going with a Chiefs vs Rams Super Bowl. I feel the Patriots will struggle to keep up to the Chiefs offensively and as for the other game a coin flip really so I will go with a slight road upset.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #474
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like the Saints might wanna run up the score bigly and not have this be a close game, cause I simply do not see any scenario the NFL allows the Saints to make the Super Bowl if they can push the Rams in. Kroenkeworld can only really work with a Super Bowl team in there so he can charge out the ass for tickets. And the Rams can only ever become something real in LA by winning consistently (and even then...). They needed 30,000 Cowboy fans last week to still have 15,000 empty seats. Until the Rams win often, it will always be other teams town.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #475
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheering for a Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl because I'm tired of the Pats and Sean Payton is kind of a dick.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #476
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Pats have a ton of cold weather experience in the playoffs...and Gronk.
This years team is different in that they can roll out 3 different backs that can hurt you in 3 different ways.

The Chiefs have a great aerial offence, however, weather will be the equalizer here. Cold fingers make it difficult to catch a hard thrown ball.

Ground game wins.

Pats 27-17

Last edited by Cheese; 01-17-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #477
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm taking Patriots and Rams this weekend. Belichick has a history of having something to slow down great offenses (Peyton in his 49 TD season, 2001 Rams, etc.) and Brady will be tough to stop. I actually think Gronk will have a throwback game and come up big this week. I feel like the Rams running game is rolling right now and the Saints really haven't played very well the last month or two.
Simanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #478
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Cheering for a Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl because I'm tired of the Pats and Sean Payton is kind of a dick.
While I agree with this I just can't cheer for the Chiefs being a Raiders fan. Best outcome for me is the Rams rolling the Pats in the big game.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #479
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
While I agree with this I just can't cheer for the Chiefs being a Raiders fan. Best outcome for me is the Rams rolling the Pats in the big game.
Fair. I'm also kind of rooting for Andy Reid. As much as I dog him for his clock management, the guy is one of the best coaches of all time and deserves a Super Bowl.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #480
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Fair. I'm also kind of rooting for Andy Reid. As much as I dog him for his clock management, the guy is one of the best coaches of all time and deserves a Super Bowl.
I do think that Reid is one of those best coaches to not win a Superbowl. He's obviously a good football guy because he is starting to build a pretty good coaching tree.

Like Schottenheimer, he's had some tough luck in the playoffs...and some clock management issues.

I do think that with Mahomes, he will have a chance now to finally get that Superbowl in the next few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post: