Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #6701
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Olli Juolevi a bust? He had a decent season in London after being drafted and then was having a good season in Utica? He suffered a season ending knee injury last year. It's been 2 years and he's only 20. I'd say that's a little early to call someone a bust. 14 of the 30 picks from the 1st round haven't played more than 5 games yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 01-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #6702
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
This is far and away my favourite part of the article:

Quote:
”His team is no good...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #6703
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
How is Olli Juolevi a bust? He had a decent season in London after being drafted and then was having a good season in Utica? He suffered a season ending knee injury last year. It's been 2 years and he's only 20. I'd say that's a little early to call someone a bust. 14 of the 30 picks from the 1st round haven't played more than 5 games yet.
I don't think he's on anyone's map as a top prospect anymore. He's just a prospect at this point so while bust may be too strong he's definitely a disappointment when you consider who the Canucks passed on at that pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #6704
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

He's a disappointment, sure, but it seems a little much to label anybody from 2016 a flat-out "bust" at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #6705
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is far and away my favourite part of the article:
thanks for posting this article - this was my favorite line

Quote:
It’s still early days, but you are starting to get an ominous, Marcel Dionne feel from Connor McDavid’s career
hilarious

Quote:
If you care about hockey – and regardless of whether you root for the Oilers – you ought to hope that happens. The sport can’t be great if its best player doesn’t get the chance to be.
Here's where i vehemently disagree. The NHL should have altered the rules after the Oilers won 3 lotteries in a row. The didn't. So McDavid ended up in Edmonton...

As far as i am concerned, the Oilers can remain a middling franchise for the next 50 years like Toronto.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #6706
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
As far as i am concerned, the Oilers can remain a middling franchise for the next 50 years like Toronto.
Middling would be an upgrade.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #6707
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eesh, that article, while I agree with the subject, like the Oilers is No Good.

I do like the hard core Oiler fan in the comments who can’t spell the name of their second best player.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #6708
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
The great part about this article is he said in reference to McDavid “his team is no good”.
E=NG!!!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #6709
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
thanks for posting this article - this was my favorite line

hilarious

Here's where i vehemently disagree. The NHL should have altered the rules after the Oilers won 3 lotteries in a row. The didn't. So McDavid ended up in Edmonton...

And don’t forget, Connor re-signed with that joke of a franchise of his own volition. I don’t feel pity for him at all.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #6710
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
And don’t forget, Connor re-signed with that joke of a franchise of his own volition. I don’t feel pity for him at all.
i thought he would have signed for 6 personally, not knowing where that franchise was going... and its Edmonton... i mean its not Serbia, but as a guy that could go anywhere as a UFA i am surprised he'd give up any of those years.

A McFaustian Bargin.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #6711
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The pile-on continues.... Spector weighs in.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...rumours-swirl/

Hitchcock admits his job is not to develop 20-year-olds like Puljujarvi or Kailer Yamamoto, who is also with Edmonton right now.

“You don’t try to develop them,” Hitchcock said. “You run them until they run out of gas,

so glad Hitch is their coach
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #6712
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soviet era architecture in Edmonton’s downtown says hi!

Is that globe article recommending that McConnor be traded as some sort of managed NHL plan?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #6713
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post

“You don’t try to develop them,” Hitchcock said. “You run them until they run out of gas,

so glad Hitch is their coach
Well I think he's right.

He's the head coach of an NHL team. He should be deploying NHL players that have presumably competed adequately to make the roster.

The problem in Edmonton is that my last point doesn't stand.

No good.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #6714
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
i thought he would have signed for 6 personally, not knowing where that franchise was going... and its Edmonton... i mean its not Serbia, but as a guy that could go anywhere as a UFA i am surprised he'd give up any of those years.

A McFaustian Bargin.
If he gets a career ending injury he would only get paid up to the 6 years, no?. That's what I'm thinking. He was thinking "I have to get the cash while I can get it". If things go sideways I can always ask for a trade. That's my thought on why he signed so long.

Last edited by CedarMeter; 01-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #6715
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

17-0 as a sign of total humiliation after the Flames score to go up 14 nothing, they line up a field goal and Rene Parades storms onto the ice with the Grey Cup and kicks a field goal. The officials let it stand in a moment of confusion over the rules.

At the end of the game as Connor is heading off the ice, Hitch pats him on the shoulder and says "Lets go". Connor snaps and screams in a girlish pitch "That's my thing" and proceeds to reach down Hitch's throat and pull out his intestines. RNH tries to calm him down by saying "Kevin told me that winning isn't everything dude when he signed my to my contract, so chillllll man" Connor reacts by adding RNH to the list by using RNH's own blood as ink.

The next day Connor announces his retirement as he starts on his new career as a pain by numbers designer for the Mattell toy company and smiles for the first time since he got drafted.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #6716
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
If he gets a career ending injury he would only get paid up to the 6 years, no?. That's what I'm thinking. He's was thinking "I have to get the cash while I can get it". If things go sideways I can always ask for a trade. That's my thought on why he signed so long.
Agreed, its a smart move to get that security. If he wants to move on, the Oilers wont have any choice but to move him. I still laugh when he signed that contract and everyone said that he really took a discount. He was getting paid 2 million more than anyone else in the NHL. He is a great player but for a "generational" player whose only skill is offensive production, as he is not a 2 way player despite what the oiler announces say, he should be leading the league in scoring by 30 points.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #6717
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well I think he's right.

He's the head coach of an NHL team. He should be deploying NHL players that have presumably competed adequately to make the roster.

The problem in Edmonton is that my last point doesn't stand.

No good.
Yes, he is right. The NHL is a results league, not an instructional league. As the head coach, it is his job to win. Period.

It is the organizaton's job to acquire and develop players for the head coach to have at his disposal. And at this, the Edmonton Oilers are a complete and utter failure. A debacle of monumental proportions. A tire fire to end all tire fires.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #6718
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want the Flames to win this game decisively tonight, especially because the Oilers and their fan base get all riled up for the BOA, since it’s the only thing they have left.

I will always despise the Oilers and will forever proclaim their no-goodness, but I think it’s time that the Flames demonstrate their superiority so that we can stop being used as a benchmark for The Great Mess To The North.

I don’t care about “reinvigorating the 80’s BOA”, because, for one thing, it could never be that great again, but mostly because I don’t want the Oilers to be competitive or win anything ever again, be that a playoff position, another draft lottery, or hell, even another game for that matter. Let them forever walk in 9th place NHL purgatory.

Mostly, I want this team to once-and-for-all exorcise the demons that Gulutzan planted in their heads about the Oilers and especially McDavid. I want the Flames to look at the Oilers less as a “chief rival” and more as just another bottom-third NHL team from which we should routinely take points.

Back-to-backs be damned. Let’s just crush them.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #6719
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

agreed, this team under GG were mentally weak and seemed to fear the team that has had 4 1st overalls in the last decade. thats bad coaching and GG belongs up there
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #6720
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A McFaustian Bargin.
I wonder if 6 was ever on the table and for what value. My thought is the deals on offer were 2yrs x 10 per and 8 x pencil in the number you want but if it’s real big it will hurt the teammates we can sign.

If I’m the oilers I’m not giving him 6. So in that scenario you have to take the 100 million over the 20 and if it gets bad you force your way out of Edmonton.

McDavid made the only sensible choice when signing that contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread