Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #1541
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I can't wait to re-register in Alberta for the specific purpose of cancelling out Captain Crunch's vote with my own.

That's unlikely unless we live in the same neighbourhood.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #1542
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's unlikely unless we live in the same neighbourhood.
Oh for sure, I'm gonna go Sherlock Holmes on this and like, EXACTLY cancel your vote. Just for fun, you understand, not maliciously.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #1543
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Oh for sure, I'm gonna go Sherlock Holmes on this and like, EXACTLY cancel your vote. Just for fun, you understand, not maliciously.

I'm in too. Jihad.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #1544
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm in too. Jihad.
Except i'm going to vote the other way and nullify what you bastards are trying to do
Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #1545
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'll go as high as %90.
What should Notley do about the federally regulated pipelines? She’s not stopping intraprovincial pipelines. Justin is stopping pipelines.

People blame Notley. It makes no sense.

One thing I don’t get is why any provincial party won’t say they’ll fix up the AER by getting faster, clearer regulations by hiring people which will create jobs. Then take it a step further and say guaranteed no change to royalty systems while your party is in office. Boom. Instant improvement in investor confidence.

Then explain an economic diversification strategy. You’ll get elected no prob.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:31 AM   #1546
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Except i'm going to vote the other way and nullify what you bastards are trying to do
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #1547
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
What should Notley do about the federally regulated pipelines? She’s not stopping intraprovincial pipelines. Justin is stopping pipelines.

People blame Notley. It makes no sense.

One thing I don’t get is why any provincial party won’t say they’ll fix up the AER by getting faster, clearer regulations by hiring people which will create jobs. Then take it a step further and say guaranteed no change to royalty systems while your party is in office. Boom. Instant improvement in investor confidence.

Then explain an economic diversification strategy. You’ll get elected no prob.
The AER review times have improved significantly at least for small expansions not sure about the greenfield world but for brownfield projects they have done well streamlining processes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #1548
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The AER review times have improved significantly at least for small expansions not sure about the greenfield world but for brownfield projects they have done well streamlining processes.
We still get guidance that if a NIMBY cries about a project the entire (and confusing) process between Appeal, Appeal Granted / Rejected, ADR, Hearing, etc. Takes about... 18 months minimum. I honestly don’t understand why.

Acquiring surface takes about 4-6 months. Down in the states? Depending on the state... maybe 10 days... (and yes I know that isn’t necessarily AER but my overall point is do things to help industry rather than hinder).
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #1549
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1086274039964811266

Just thought this was interesting with regards to the Carbon Tax being a hot topic in Alberta.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #1550
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Just thought this was interesting with regards to the Carbon Tax being a hot topic in Alberta.
Fake news.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #1551
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think an interesting question would be has the rate of imported products gone up.

We know that the costs of a Carbon Tax have to be born somewhere.
- a few options are increased imports from non carbon taxed jurisdictions
- lower prices for unaffected items as volumes increased.
- The affect of the Carbon tax is within the noise of all the other differences between the provinces.
- decreased demand as a result of people cutting spending in the wake of the economy not improving leading to more competition for fewer consumers driving prices down as businesses moved into losses offsetting increases in costs from the tax.

I’d be interested in much more analysis then just an inflation comparison chart. I suspect within the noise of the data there is no evidence to support either hypothesis. Hopefully he expands with a more detailed work then just the tweet.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #1552
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think an interesting question would be has the rate of imported products gone up.

We know that the costs of a Carbon Tax have to be born somewhere.
- a few options are increased imports from non carbon taxed jurisdictions
- lower prices for unaffected items as volumes increased.
- The affect of the Carbon tax is within the noise of all the other differences between the provinces.
- decreased demand as a result of people cutting spending in the wake of the economy not improving leading to more competition for fewer consumers driving prices down as businesses moved into losses offsetting increases in costs from the tax.

I’d be interested in much more analysis then just an inflation comparison chart. I suspect within the noise of the data there is no evidence to support either hypothesis. Hopefully he expands with a more detailed work then just the tweet.
Could be hard to unpick import volumes from Trumps trade war. Western Canada imports are way down in my industry as a side effect of all the trade issues. Costs of raw materials are also pretty hard to link directly to carbon taxes its just to market driven. On the transportation side I would say new laws around driver time logging have had a bigger impact on prices than carbon taxes.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #1553
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

I'm more interested in knowing whether or not the carbon tax has affected GHG emissions or gasoline consumption.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #1554
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Alberta farmers chime in on the Carbon Tax

Quote:
It’s not just public perception that worries Copithorne-Barnes, former chair of the Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef. Like many agricultural producers, she fears climate-related government policy changes, such as the carbon taxes mandated by several provinces as well as the Canadian federal government, will put her at a competitive disadvantage with farmers in other countries. While Alberta did create an exemption for “purple gas” (gasoline and diesel purchased for on-farm use) when it instituted a carbon tax for the first time in 2016, farmers are still subject to the carbon tax in many other forms, from the natural gas used to heat large barns to the increased costs they pay for fertilizer and livestock transportation. All of it impacts the bottom line and makes it less likely farmers will invest in new technologies and equipment that can actually help the environment, she said.

“I looked into putting up solar panels on my shop on my land, but it was going to cost too much,” Copithorne-Barnes said. “Every time we are taxed from a carbon tax perspective, it makes it so it’s more difficult to invest in these things. I can’t afford the luxury of doing the right thing.”

The recently released Senate report — which was published following months of cross-country testimony from farmers, scientists and other stakeholders on the effects of climate change on agriculture — urged the federal government to consider widening the carbon tax exemption for farmers to include heating fuels like propane and natural gas. It also recommended allowing farmers to earn carbon credits for things they do that are good for the environment, such as sequestering carbon in soil by preserving natural grassland as pasture for cattle.
https://calgarysun.com/business/loca...5-6beea4bbdca5
Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #1555
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Then I want credit, as well, for my lawn and planting trees and having a garden. A cattle farmer can't argue he's good for the environment. News story tonight said 1 kg of beef needs 13000 litres of water to produce.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #1556
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Cattle farmer is one of the absolute worst polluters on the planet.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #1557
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Cattle farmer is one of the absolute worst polluters on the planet.
From the above article which agrees with you.

Quote:
Bonnett added he believes farmers and government need to move beyond “political posturing” over carbon taxes and credits and instead invest in research and technology to prepare for the future.

“Taking a look at renewable fuels, bioproducts, GPS technology to fine-tune fertilizer applications, there’s a whole series of things that would help reduce the carbon footprint of growing crops and raising livestock,” Bonnett said. “I think farmers are likely going to be the first to truly notice the impact (of climate change). We have a chance to start a dialogue, to have a discussion about what has happened in the last 20 years and what is the potential going forward.”
Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #1558
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
News story tonight said 1 kg of beef needs 13000 litres of water to produce.
All food/beverage production requires insane amounts of L water/kg production:

Chocolate - 17,200
Almonds - 16,100
Beef - 15,400
Cashews - 14,200
Chickpeas - 10,100
Lentils - 5,900
Chicken - 4,300
Rice - 2,500
Oats - 2,400
Coffee (1kg of Brewed) - 2,300
Bread - 1,600
Avacado - 1,200
Milk - 1,000

What would be interesting to see is rather than L/kg of production, it was L/g protein or some other nutritional component. Coffee and Chocolate would obviously look awful in this scenario.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #1559
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
All food/beverage production requires insane amounts of L water/kg production:

Chocolate - 17,200
Almonds - 16,100
Beef - 15,400
Cashews - 14,200
Chickpeas - 10,100
Lentils - 5,900
Chicken - 4,300
Rice - 2,500
Oats - 2,400
Coffee (1kg of Brewed) - 2,300
Bread - 1,600
Avacado - 1,200
Milk - 1,000

What would be interesting to see is rather than L/kg of production, it was L/g protein or some other nutritional component. Coffee and Chocolate would obviously look awful in this scenario.
I imagine the water just returns to the water cycle. It’s not like it’s disappearing?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #1560
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I imagine the water just returns to the water cycle. It’s not like it’s disappearing?
Depends on how the water table is managed. In California water is being extracted from the ground at a faster rate than it is being restored so the water table is dropping which exacerbates droughts. Long term this isn’t sustainable so things like nuts are horrible from a water use point of few

In Alberta the water extraction is tightly controlled so that freshwater aquafirs are not drained. However there is a limited amount of water we can extract per year sustainably and it should be put towards its best use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: