Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #301
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Similar to operate doesn't mean you don't need all new equipment. A majority of ground support equipment is unique to these types af aircraft. Flight simulators, ground school training, flight manuals, and on and on are all unique. DND has an entire engineering support staff for each aircraft type.

Just because they look and act similar does not mean there is a cost savings.

They may look similar but its like saying a 1969 Camaro and a 2010 Camaro are the same car.
Sure, fair comment. The article I quoted was more about operating the aircraft than the other aspects.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #302
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liberals cite economic benefits after paying $33M to stay in F-35 program

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liber...gram-1.3003596

Quote:
OTTAWA - The Liberal government is pointing to the potential economic benefits to explain why it quietly paid nearly $33 million last month to help develop the F-35 stealth fighter.

The Liberals promised during the last election campaign not to buy the F-35, but made the payment anyway to keep Canada as one of nine partner countries in the program

Canada has spent more than $311 million to develop the F-35 since 1997. An official in Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's office says that participation has resulted in more than $800 million in work for Canadian companies.
Those consultations are due to wrap up on Friday, with the government announcing its plans for replacing Canada's aging CF-18 fighter jet fleet in the fall.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #303
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think they hold their nose and buy the F-35. The helicopter fiasco in the 90s dogged the party for more than a decade. They probably don't want to repeat that stupidity.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #304
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ridiculous that such blatant lies can be said on the campaign trail.

I guess the blame falls more on the people that believe those lies rather than the politicians themselves.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #305
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll just re-iterate that I believe that the F-35 is going to be the best option for this country going forward, especially with how our procurement strategy for the military (doesn't) works.

It looks like the Liberals weren't really honest about anything on the campaign trail. Triple the deficit, we're not going to have anything to do with the F-35 but we're going to stay in the program, etc etc.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #306
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just buy the damn thing, if they don't now it's bad for the aviation economy here and their stopgap idea is crap anyway.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #307
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Ridiculous that such blatant lies can be said on the campaign trail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It looks like the Liberals weren't really honest about anything on the campaign trail. [...] we're not going to have anything to do with the F-35 but we're going to stay in the program, etc etc.
Where have they stated that they are now going to purchase the F-35 and which part of their platform stated that they would have nothing at all to do with the F-35 Program?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #308
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Where have they stated that they are now going to purchase the F-35 and which part of their platform stated that they would have nothing at all to do with the F-35 Program?
This pretty much guarantees that the F-35 will have access to any bid program, and with the amount of dollars spent on staying in the development program and the industries here based around the F-35 its highly unlikely that they don't give it a leg up in any kind of competition.

Also, the whole blathering by the government doesn't work looks foolish now that countries are starting to accept their first deliveries of the A variant with is what the CF-35 is.

I believe that Israel is working up their first operational squadron.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #309
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Lots of reports are coming out saying they have fixed the major problems with the F-35.

At this point it would be stupid not to buy it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #310
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Lots of reports are coming out saying they have fixed the major problems with the F-35.

At this point it would be stupid not to buy it.
Reports by who? Lockheed Martin?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #311
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This part:

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/f-35/

Right off their campaign webpage.

Quote:
We will not buy the F-35 stealth fighter-bomber.
And only a few months later, quietly make a $33Million payment to stay part of the program.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #312
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Reports by who? Lockheed Martin?
Israel has cleared the F-35a Adir and are taking first delivery of their active squadron in December.

Italy has signed off on the F-35 and are moving to the delivery stage as well.

The US airforce is activating the f-35 and starting to move them from test to deployable.

US Airforce first operational squadron completes its IOC testing

http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...orce/87640282/

Airforces are starting to sign off on the A and looking at deliveries.

I don't know what the status of the Carrier and Marine versions are, but they're pretty irrelevant to Canada

Old 07-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #313
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't it just the Marine version that had the issues anyway?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #314
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Wasn't it just the Marine version that had the issues anyway?
They all had some pretty big problems, I haven't been following that closely lately, but the marine problems were with the engines and things like lightnight strike problems, that all had software problems as well.

But this plane is now being rolled out, the head of the US airforce talked about their version being close to ready to deploy as operational.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #315
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's actually good news then. Canada should step back for a year and see how these perform operationally before committing to anything. I'm willing to change my mind on them.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #316
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I see where you are going with this. You're saying that we haven't committed to purchasing a fighter, which is different than "We will not buy the F-35 fighter." I see how sneaky you are with adding the "now" wording as well.

You're saying saying that the F-35 program as a manufacturing program is something the Liberals wanted to stay in, but without any commitment to actually purchase the fighter. Man, you are really good at reading in between the lines. Maybe the Liberals should have said specifically what they meant by "We will not buy the F-35 fighter" to educate dumb people like me.

Semantics. Well played. You and Buster should have a semantics-off.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #317
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It was inevitable that the problems would be fixed. Say what you want about the American Military Industrial Industry, but they have some pretty smart minds that have solved some pretty complex problems.

The fact that people actually thought a $100 billion dollar plus project would just fail is amusing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #318
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
This part:

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/f-35/

Right off their campaign webpage.

And only a few months later, quietly make a $33Million payment to stay part of the program.
They stated that they wouldn't buy the F-35 and have still not purchased any F-35s. The $33M was not spent to buy any jets but to instead keep the door open to potential business for our manufacturing sector. Additionally, if the issues with the F-35 are resolved, it provides the Liberals with the opportunity to be responsible, say that they made a mistake and purchase the F-35s if they are the best option.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #319
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I understand that. It's my understanding that in order to "keep the door" open for our manufacturing sector, we actually do have to proceed with purchasing them. I'll have to find the article but I'm sure I read that if we decide to purchase something other than the F-35, the contracts we are currently getting are gone.

Here's one that goes into it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle28897002/

Quote:
The contribution would maintain Canada’s membership in the F-35 buyers’ pool. This gives Ottawa the right to buy F-35s at a discount and allows Canadian companies to continue to bid on supply contracts for the plane.
It also says this:
Quote:
The move raises questions about whether the Liberal government is reconsidering its ban on purchasing the controversial F-35 jet.
I find it a bit amusing to see the government go from "We will not buy the F-35" to "Well, maybe we will". What else in their campaign was BS?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 07-29-2016 at 11:31 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #320
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Its not even a hard move to make politically. Come out and say a year ago the F-35 had a lot of problems that have since been resolved. Because they have been resolved it would only make sense to buy them.

People might be mad for a week, but with how much support the Liberals have right now I doubt it makes a dent in their poll support.

Tags
caf , f-35 , jets