Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #81
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
FWIW, Labbe was not going to make the squad anyways.
Fwiw they're saying the opposite all over the media. They said she made the team. I don't think they would be fighting this so hard if she wasn't good enough

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #82
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
FWIW, Labbe was not going to make the squad anyways.
So then why not let it play out?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #83
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Fwiw they're saying the opposite all over the media. They said she made the team. I don't think they would be fighting this so hard if she wasn't good enough

No, they said she was good enough to play at this level. I know for a fact she was not going to make the squad (can confirm multiple sources if mod wants to PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
So then why not let it play out?
The ruling of her not being allowed to play came from the league itself, not Foothills.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #84
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

After a 5-1 defeat over FC Edmonton on Saturday, the PDL season starts Friday in Okotoks against Victoria Highlanders. Game time is 7:30. The club has told me the usual bussing situation from the Ship is good to go for this weekend, although the Ship has yet to advertise this yet.

With Labbe out of the picture, former FC Edmonton keeper Nathan Ingham has signed for this season. He was their started last year for a couple months, and the backup after he missed some time due to a concussion. Carducci and Ingham make a damn good keeper duo for PDL.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #85
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It appears the new stadium will be 5-7k and will be located in and owned by Spruce Meadows Entertainment group.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #86
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Details for the Show Up Ship Out for the games this weekend are out. $15 gets a ticket, transit to and from the game, and a pint. So cheap you can't afford not to!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #87
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Details for the Show Up Ship Out for the games this weekend are out. $15 gets a ticket, transit to and from the game, and a pint. So cheap you can't afford not to!

Who else is coming on Friday?
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #88
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Drunk and on the bus back to the Ship now, Foothills with the 2-0 win. Shermanator will be able to discuss more but it was a pretty good set up in Okotoks, fun beer gardens and they’ve made it so is supporters can be right behind the net. Great start to the season!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #89
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Drunk and on the bus back to the Ship now, Foothills with the 2-0 win. Shermanator will be able to discuss more but it was a pretty good set up in Okotoks, fun beer gardens and they’ve made it so is supporters can be right behind the net. Great start to the season!
Anywhere else but behind the net? I'd much rather be at the halfway line and see the full run of play.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #90
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foothills win 2-0 over Highlanders. Was a tightly contested game until Ali Musse netted a penalty. Marco Carducci saved a penalty of his own later in the second half and Nico Pasquotti sealed it in injury time.

Good writeup on the game here: http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...debut-20180511

The setup in Okotoks is arguably the best one I've seen. Nice 1000 seat stands, with a dedicated beer gardens /supporters section behind the goal. The press box and changing rooms on the opposing end give the stadium a bit of a European feel. Nice view of the foothills from both sides as well. The pitch was in rough shape though due to the fact that it was snow covered less than 3 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Anywhere else but behind the net? I'd much rather be at the halfway line and see the full run of play.
I agree that seeing the game from midfield offers a much better view for watching the game, but unfortunately the general public does not appreciate supporters drumming, singing, chanting and non PG banter. The fact that we were behind the net, far away from the family zone, meant we could let loose a little more than in years past.

Last edited by shermanator; 05-12-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #91
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Foothills win 2-0 over Highlanders. Was a tightly contested game until Ali Musse netted a penalty. Marco Carducci saved a penalty of his own later in the second half and Nico Pasquotti sealed it in injury time.

Good writeup on the game here: http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...debut-20180511

The setup in Okotoks is arguably the best one I've seen. Nice 1000 seat stands, with a dedicated beer gardens /supporters section behind the goal. The press box and changing rooms on the opposing end give the stadium a bit of a European feel. Nice view of the foothills from both sides as well. The pitch was in rough shape though due to the fact that it was snow covered less than 3 weeks ago.

I agree that seeing the game from midfield offers a much better view for watching the game, but unfortunately the general public does not appreciate supporters drumming, singing, chanting and non PG banter. The fact that we were behind the net, far away from the family zone, meant we could let loose a little more than in years past.
I see. So if one wants to see at halfway you can. Excellent to hear. Personally I was never a fan of supporter or Ultras sections anywhere I went. It detracts from the game a bit in my mind. I'd rather hear how the players interact and what strategy they have

Old 05-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #92
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It appears the new stadium will be 5-7k and will be located in and owned by Spruce Meadows Entertainment group.
Any comment on this, Shermanator? Is this the project you were hinting at earlier or is this separate?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #93
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Any comment on this, Shermanator? Is this the project you were hinting at earlier or is this separate?
Lots of discussion on this in the CPL Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #94
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foothills win 1-0 this afternoon on a header from Moses Danto. So far, attendance in Okotoks is about the same as it was at Glenmore and the Soccer Centre, which is about 700-800 on Fridays and half that on Sundays.

Knowing that CPL is around the corner I think it's starting to reflect in the supporters group. Enthusiasm for the PDL game seems to be waning a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #95
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Foothills win 1-0 this afternoon on a header from Moses Danto. So far, attendance in Okotoks is about the same as it was at Glenmore and the Soccer Centre, which is about 700-800 on Fridays and half that on Sundays.

Knowing that CPL is around the corner I think it's starting to reflect in the supporters group. Enthusiasm for the PDL game seems to be waning a bit.
Typical Calgary Footy crowd. I'm actually surprised 700-800 come out Friday.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #96
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Goalkeeper Stephanie Labbé taking legal action against Premier Development League

Quote:
Stephanie Labbé continues to grow and develop her game, training daily with the Calgary Foothills FC men's under-23 soccer team, while challenging a recent ruling away from the pitch.

The 2016 Canadian Olympic goalkeeper is taking legal action against the Premier Development League, which refused to let her play for the semi-pro squad earlier this month because it is a gender-based league.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/step...tion-1.4671875
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #97
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a bold move, Cotton.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #98
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she wins does it open up Womans leagues to men trying out?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #99
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If she wins does it open up Womans leagues to men trying out?
You're arguing in bad faith.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #100
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
You're arguing in bad faith.
I'm not arguing anything, it was a genuinely curious question.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary foothills , pdl