Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #181
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They aren't taking the piss, despite starting the coaching search with the second best asset any coach would want (after the Jags #1 pick), the Texans are now unequivocally the worst coaching job in the league because Deshaun wants out and they have poor draft capital. They are stuck on longshots and retreads.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #182
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

If my halfhearted attention paid to talk radio is right I think Watson being traded is pretty unlikely. Isn’t the cap supposed to contract this year? And they eat a massive dead contract cost if they do, it’s not entirely unlike the Philly and Wentz situation I think. Seems like he might be stuck there another year or so. I could be way off
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #183
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
They aren't taking the piss, despite starting the coaching search with the second best asset any coach would want (after the Jags #1 pick), the Texans are now unequivocally the worst coaching job in the league because Deshaun wants out and they have poor draft capital. They are stuck on longshots and retreads.
it's obviously not a job that a lot of coaches would take on. But McCown has never coached, he shouldn't even be considered. This isn't the NBA.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #184
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Hopefully they are just waiting on Bieniemy to be available to hire and the rest is just due diligence. But....it’s the Texans, so I wouldn’t be shocked at anything.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #185
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^I mean the big difference is Wentz is gonna fetch a third rounder at best and Watson is gonna get at least three first rounders plus more. If he's traded post June 1 I think his dead cap isn't all that bad. I think we all (well, not Texans fans) want to see the Deshaun market. Could surpass Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams as the biggest trade of all-time in terms of assets given up.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #186
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should go get Jeff Fisher. That way he can say he was the HC of both the Oilers and Texans.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #187
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it normal for the teams official twitter account to disclose who they are talking to for coaching vacancies?

That's the weirdest part to me.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #188
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Is it normal for the teams official twitter account to disclose who they are talking to for coaching vacancies?

That's the weirdest part to me.
yeah other teams have been doing it too. Not sure this is a new thing this year though.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #189
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matt Patricia back with the Pats. Will play a variety of roles, not sure what that means.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...matt-patricia/
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #190
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texans job is probably 50/50 between Frazier and Bienemy IMO, both still coaching now. Caldwell maybe in 3rd spot. Interviewing McCown is another joke in a long list of them for the current version of the team.

I’m not totally on board the Bieniemy train. Quite the checkered past and Mahomes would make anyone look good. He was the OC for the Buffaloes in 2012. He maybe didn’t have much to work with but that season was beyond abysmal.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #191
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what's hurting Bieniemy in the interviews is what exactly is his role for the Chiefs? I mean yeah his title is OC, but we all know Andy runs the offense. So I suspect when the interviews get into the nitty gritty it's been tough for Bieniemy to explain exactly what makes him ready for an HC job. His role with the Chiefs is probably closer to a position coach than a coordinator. Or maybe he's tanking the interviews because he knows Andy is close to retirement and he'll get to take over the top job in the league in a couple years.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #192
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@TomPelissero:
Sources: The #Lions and Matthew Stafford have mutually agreed to part ways this offseason and the team will begin exploring trade options in the coming weeks for their star QB.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #193
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1353117714127216640

Indianapolis seems like a logical landing spot.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #194
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say either Indy or the San Francisco. Package Garopollo and the 2021 first round pick for Stafford. Stafford is 10x better than Jimmy G.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #195
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy for Stafford. He’s paid his dues in Detroit and deserves a chance to win. That’s rare in these days of the superstar first mentality.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #196
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indy makes too much sense.

Sucks he is in the NFC North. Would like him in Chicago
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #197
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I would say either Indy or the San Francisco. Package Garopollo and the 2021 first round pick for Stafford. Stafford is 10x better than Jimmy G.
I mean you gotta assume this is a full rebuild for the Lions so taking Jimmy G doesn't make much sense. Future picks from a win now team are worth way more because, as we just saw from the Texans, you could net a top 10 or better pick if it works out. Jimmy G is also good enough to make you 7-9 and that's the worst thing the Lions could do.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #198
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I think it’s more realistic that Jimmy G is good enough to get you to 2-3 before a season ending injury. Kid’s made of wet cardboard.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #199
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean you gotta assume this is a full rebuild for the Lions so taking Jimmy G doesn't make much sense. Future picks from a win now team are worth way more because, as we just saw from the Texans, you could net a top 10 or better pick if it works out. Jimmy G is also good enough to make you 7-9 and that's the worst thing the Lions could do.
I mean, Jimmy G is so injury prone. Plus, they could just ship him to another team, especially one when their QB goes down. Jimmy G, in my opinion, is a borderline starting QB. If the 49ers acquire Stafford they’re back to being the best team in the NFC West. The 2020 season was riddled with injuries.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #200
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the 49ers will make a play for sure, but Jimmy G is basically a negative asset. You can probably sign Brissett for at least half as much as Jimmy G will make and he'll give you comparable QB play. Plus I think Shanahan wants Cousins because he already knows the offense front to back. Stafford is obviously better, but there's more of an adjustment period which the 49ers can't afford with their roster in win now.

I think Washington is the team to watch. That defense is pretty close to elite and they almost won a playoff game with Taylor Heinicke. Lots of cap space too and they hired Mayhew who drafted Stafford. It's gonna come down to the best pick package more than roster ready guys (unless they are young with control).