Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #581
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But it's not just losing Brees. Even with Brees retiring they will still be $75 million over the cap and they have a lot of young guys coming up due for deals. I'm sure we'll see some more cap games to push things down the road (2030 will be fun when the Saints are $1 billion over the cap lol), but they will probably take a step back next year.
What team in that division is going to be better next season? Falcons roster is full of holes and while a new coach could win them a couple more games they are 8-8 at best. Panthers are not going to challenge for the division with Bridgewater at QB. The Bucs are year to year with Brady (will be 44 next season) as one year he's going to fall off the cliff as his voodoo won't last forever. Saints should be able to remain very competitive for the division title next season.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #582
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean going from consensus top 4 team to maybe winning the division is kind of the definition of a step back right? I agree they aren't going to be the Jets next year (although they are heavily incentivized to tank as part of taking a cap bath/replacing Brees), but they're ceiling is probably middle of the road team. Jameis is a FA and no one really buys Taysom as a starting QB. It's gonna be tough to make it back to the playoffs, without even factoring in the purge they'll be making to the roster.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #583
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't a Brees retirement produce like 22 million in dead cap?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #584
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but his actual cap hit is $36 million so you still come out ahead. Every little bit is going to count for the Saints.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:09 PM   #585
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well presumably you need to pay a QB to take his place?

I don't know enough about NFL salary cap management.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #586
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taysom is locked in with a dead cap hit of $11 million next year so I imagine that answers that question.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #587
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Saints have a much better shot at winning yesterday with Winston under center.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #588
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
He's been there for 15 years, and if the organization is willing to give him 2 seasons to turn the roster over and correct the cap issues, I doubt he moves.

Sure he's a Parcells disciple, but unlike Parcels, he has stayed coaching the same team for a long period of time. Parcels always got antsy after 5 years and started stirring stuff up in the front office to eventually orchestrate his release. He was a bigger story to change teams, and my opinion is that Parcels craved attention and needed this, more than on field success. His two primary disciples in Belichick and Payton seem to like a bit of stability and seem willing to stay on so long as they get to do things their way.
I think before that 2017 Draft where the Saints struck gold and turned their franchise around, both Brees and Payton were going to be elsewhere after that year. But that Draft changed everything, including rekindling Payton's love for coaching and getting his confidence back. Saints supposedly have a great locker room culture and Payton loves getting into the dances and everything, it sounds like he's really happy in New Orleans presently. I really think he wants to groom Brees' successor there, and he's the main reason for the Saints great (albeit annoying, if you're not a Saints fan) culture they have down there.

With his friendship with Jerry Jones (and his family live in the Dallas area), it almost feels inevitable for Payton to be Dallas' HC at some point. But I'd be shocked if he didn't stick around in New Orleans for at least a couple more years while they still have a strong team (remember this team went a combined 15-3 when missing either Thomas, Brees or Kamara over the past 2 years. Thats something).

Very true yesterday was the end of the prime window with that main core, and they'll lose some pieces this offseason, but outside of Marcus Williams, Janoris Jenkins and maybe Trey Hendrickson (and of course Brees), its not as bad as whats being let on, for 2021 anyway. Money will be pushed down the line further while they have a good team. If they can make it work at QB with Jameis or another player (Stafford keeps getting rumoured to N.O.), I really don't see why they can't be playoff contenders next year.

Remember 8-8 was a wild card spot in the NFC this year. Looking at this roster, unless something really goes sideways, I don't see why you can't get 9-10 wins out of them next year anyway.

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-18-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #589
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Taysom is locked in with a dead cap hit of $11 million next year so I imagine that answers that question.
Well okay, if Taysom is starting for them all next season I can't see how they're much of a threat to win the division, unless he's going to get significantly better between now and then.

Which I guess is possible, I wouldn't have figured Allen could turn into this.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #590
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but Taysom is also a good skill player for the Saints in general, who they sorely missed yesterday. Especially in the red zone. He'll deff be back, but I don't see them defaulting to him at QB just because of that salary. They'll have an open competition between him and a vet I'm sure, Jameis or otherwise. I hope we can retain him, I'm ready for the madness..

Feel so bad for Brees on how it ended, just falling apart at the Dome like that. He FINALLY gets the D he always needed to win playoff games back when he was carrying this team in his prime...but it was just a couple years too late. Tragic.

I think another part that bums me out about this 2017-2020 window they had is, unlike the previous contending core they had - lets say 2006-2013 - is I truly believe this version of them was built to win outdoors on the road in the playoffs...and we just never got to see it, ever. All 7 playoff games they had in that time were in domes: 6 in N.O. and 1 in Minnesota.

Brees' last game ever being against Rodgers for the NFCCG in snowy Lambeau would have been so perfect (aside from the probable L), sucks thats not happening. Team always had the "soft, southern dome team" label that can't win in the cold, they finally get the squad to do it IMO, and they just never get to prove it. I would have loved to watch a big Saints playoff game in those conditions. Sigh...

EDIT: and I'm not going to keep flooding this thread with long azz Saints posts, don't worry haha.. just had to get those 2 out. Plus Saints seem to be the main discussion in here today anyway

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-18-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #591
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna be interesting to see if Mahomes plays this Sunday. This is one of those games that is so big, my money is on him playing, even if he is still slightly symptomatic (obviously he would have to downplay those to be able to clear).

Sadly, a perfect illustration of why concussions are so tough and is completely reliant on players self-reporting (which they generally downplay in big situations like this). This is a typical case where they don't really admit their true effect until they're retired and regret playing through it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #592
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Gonna be interesting to see if Mahomes plays this Sunday. This is one of those games that is so big, my money is on him playing, even if he is still slightly symptomatic (obviously he would have to downplay those to be able to clear).

Sadly, a perfect illustration of why concussions are so tough and is completely reliant on players self-reporting (which they generally downplay in big situations like this). This is a typical case where they don't really admit their true effect until they're retired and regret playing through it.
Some are saying he doesnt have a concussion but instead he pinched a nerve in his neck that made him wobbly.

Im not a doctor but i have never heard of a pinched nerve causing imbalance. I hope he plays though if healthy....makes the game a whole lot better.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #593
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand what this means;

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ssion-protocol

Quote:
Mahomes also was on the field Wednesday, when the Chiefs began their practice week. He was listed as a limited practice participant, as league rules require because he remains in the concussion protocol. But coach Andy Reid said Mahomes took all the snaps in Wednesday's practice.
He's supposed to be a limited participant but according to Reid he's a full participant. Sounds like the Chiefs are business as usual regardless of league rules.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #594
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't understand what this means;

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ssion-protocol

He's supposed to be a limited participant but according to Reid he's a full participant. Sounds like the Chiefs are business as usual regardless of league rules.
Apparently it was just a "walkthrough" type practice in-effect, so full participant and taking full snaps is permissible and isn't really a great indication of where he'll be come Sunday, but a good sign none the less for his health

Last edited by Ducay; 01-21-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #595
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Apparently it was just a "walkthrough" type practice in-effect, so full participant and taking full snaps is permissible and isn't really a great indication of where he'll be come Sunday, but a good sign none the less for his health
I usually monitor practices for the Raiders and I know that players still in concussion protocol don't take regular snaps. Damon Arnette got knocked woozy like Mahomes did in week 12. Had to progress to a full participant on Friday when he got cleared. I know every situation is different but two snaps into the next game he got hit and suffered another concussion. I'm sure Mahomes will likely play and not suffer another concussion but if he does the optics will be pretty poor.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #596
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

In completely shocking news Mahomes has been cleared to play.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #597
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Dont have the same calmness as last week in regards to the Packers.

But i think they have just enough to win on D and Mason Crosby hasnt missed a FG this season plus he knows how to kick in Lambeau...27-24 Packers.

Chiefs 31 Bills 27
Old 01-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #598
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Should be 2 good games today. Two of the best veterans ever on one side and two of the best 25 and under guys in the other.

Brady by my count is 9-3 in Conference Title Games and Roger's is 1-3. So we will see if Green Bay can turn their fortunes in this game against the best ever.

Buffalo is coming in hot so it will take the Chiefs best to be able to hold off the Bills. Whatever results we get it should be a good Superbowl.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 01-24-2021 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Dummy can't count
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #599
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll take the under on 4 good games today.

Go Bucs and Bills.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #600
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been saying Chiefs over Packers in the Super Bowl since September, so I gotta ride with that. GB and KC with the W's today

Tags
nfc stinks , scorigamiszn