Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Anyone done the Mount Northover Ridge Hike?

Just inquiring as I am thinking of doing it this weekend. Are there any passes required to do this hike like the parks Canada hikes or can one just set off and go?

I am a fairly experienced backcountry hiker where as my +1 has done day hikes but never a backpack hike.

Any suggestions like water/river situation etc on this hike would be appreciated.

Thanks.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey, I haven't done this particular hike, but I have done some backpacking in the area. I think you will need overnight permits for Aster Lake and Three Isle Lake campsites. Info can be found here:

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kana...untry_camp.asp

Please post a trip report if you end up doing it, it looks like an awesome trip!
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks, do you know if there is any place in Calgary to go to pick up a permit. The phone number provided never seems to answer and the answering machine - I left a message but dont seem to call back

We wanted to do Egypt Lake hike but called last week and they were all full, we are now thinking of doing Lower Galatea Lake as I think the Mount Northover Ridge hike might be a bit tough for a first timer and I dont want to scare her.

Whichever one we do I will post a trip report
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Thanks, do you know if there is any place in Calgary to go to pick up a permit. The phone number provided never seems to answer and the answering machine - I left a message but dont seem to call back

We wanted to do Egypt Lake hike but called last week and they were all full, we are now thinking of doing Lower Galatea Lake as I think the Mount Northover Ridge hike might be a bit tough for a first timer and I dont want to scare her.

^This.

While Northover is certainly amongst the finest of AB hikes, my understanding is that it is extremely strenuous, has periods of exposure, and depends on accomplished routefinding skills.

Might be a bit much for a noob.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post

Whenever I've booked a site I've always done it over the phone, but you should be able to pick up the permits at the barrier lake visitor centre, just off highway 40:

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kana...untry_camp.asp

There is a limited number of campsites though, so if you try to pick it up the day of you might be out of luck.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta , hiking , kananaskis