Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #2761
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Which part? For me it was the breakfast favourites…
The hotel sketch was shockingly accurate
Old 12-14-2021, 12:01 AM   #2762
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
True, but there are smart people who have crappy opinions because they don't like culture moving forward without them.
the culture is a rapper with a misspelled word as their name? how unique...never seen that before for the last 15 years.

With music being free their isn't much culture or talent these days in the mainstream, I know a lot of young people that feel the same way.

Take the we are the world video from the 80s...amazing talents from all backgrounds and genres. Imagine getting the top 30 artists together today and comparing.

I'm slightly over 35 but I have realized for a long time that today's popular music is ridiculously bad historically. (I have felt the same way since my 20s probably earlier)

Where is Michel Jackson? Ray Charles? Steve Perry? Aretha Franklin? Whitney Houston, Bruce Springsteen, and so on. Nobody today is even in the same stratosphere.

In 30 years nobody will be listening to some clown mumbling to a beat stolen from a 70s tune and calling it a classic IMO
Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #2763
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
the culture is a rapper with a misspelled word as their name? how unique...never seen that before for the last 15 years.

With music being free their isn't much culture or talent these days in the mainstream, I know a lot of young people that feel the same way.

Take the we are the world video from the 80s...amazing talents from all backgrounds and genres. Imagine getting the top 30 artists together today and comparing.

I'm slightly over 35 but I have realized for a long time that today's popular music is ridiculously bad historically. (I have felt the same way since my 20s probably earlier)

Where is Michel Jackson? Ray Charles? Steve Perry? Aretha Franklin? Whitney Houston, Bruce Springsteen, and so on. Nobody today is even in the same stratosphere.

In 30 years nobody will be listening to some clown mumbling to a beat stolen from a 70s tune and calling it a classic IMO
This is silly. For one, Band Aid had some real nobodies on the track. This wasn’t 30 iconic artists, this was a few artists still doing their thing today and a bunch of artists nobody remembers or cares about. Is that much different?

We might not have an Aretha Franklin, but that’s largely because the musical landscape is so different, not because the musical talent is worse. That’s the same reason people might not remember Ed Sheeran as a “classic” in 20 years. There’s more selection than ever, things move faster than ever. Gone are the days of mom and pop buying one record a year and saying “gosh, that Ray Charles sure knows how to tickle the keys!” or whatever old timey thing you want to insert.

Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Adele, Kanye, etc etc. Lots of big artists who might be looked at fondly down the line. Who knows. “Where is our Bruce Springsteen??” I dunno? Look harder.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #2764
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

There's plenty of brilliant music being made these days. You just have to wade through a sea of s*** to find it. But it's there.

Sadly you won't find what you're looking for from SNL though. Most of the bands/artists who have appeared on that show in the last couple of years have been garbage IMO, save for a the occasional gem here and there. I'm not really a fan of Billie Eilish's music, but I thought her performance was pretty great. Certainly one of the better ones I've seen on that show in a while.

Last edited by direwolf; 12-14-2021 at 10:36 AM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #2765
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Band Aid...........

Sit down son

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #2766
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

sorry, quoting issues but Pepsi Free said

"Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Adele, Kanye, etc etc. Lots of big artists who might be looked at fondly down the line. Who knows. “Where is our Bruce Springsteen??” I dunno? Look harder. 12-14-2021 07:01 AM"

and I don't necessarily disagree with your premise- on the other hand of those listed- I think Adele is the youngest at 33, Chris Martin and Kanye are the same age as Iggy...

these are all still productive modern artists to be sure, but they are a decade or more into their run, these are established artists

I guess its harder as always to know who in the current younger tier will have the staying power ( the 24 year old Bono* in the Band Aid example)

*yes Bono is likely polarizing to some, but we get the idea
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #2767
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Eilish isn’t funny and had a bad monologue but unlike some hosts, I didn’t think she dragged down the episode. Helps that they didn’t give her too many key parts.

Overall it was actually very strong and funny episode. The next door neighbour Christmas dinner sketch was friggin hilarious.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #2768
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
sorry, quoting issues but Pepsi Free said

"Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Adele, Kanye, etc etc. Lots of big artists who might be looked at fondly down the line. Who knows. “Where is our Bruce Springsteen??” I dunno? Look harder. 12-14-2021 07:01 AM"

and I don't necessarily disagree with your premise- on the other hand of those listed- I think Adele is the youngest at 33, Chris Martin and Kanye are the same age as Iggy...

these are all still productive modern artists to be sure, but they are a decade or more into their run, these are established artists

I guess its harder as always to know who in the current younger tier will have the staying power ( the 24 year old Bono* in the Band Aid example)

*yes Bono is likely polarizing to some, but we get the idea
Totally agree. And then being quite a bit into their run is why I chose them, they’re super popular musicians who have already proved they have staying power and are still doing it today. Will they be remembered in 30 years? Yeah, I think so.

When it comes to younger/early career artists it’s impossible to say, but there’s sure to be some. Dua Lipa looks promising. Ariana Grande? Harry Styles? That’s just pop, other genres are filled with a ton of talent.

Mostly my point is that saying “today’s popular music is bad” has all the thoughtfulness of Abe Simpson and those pesky clouds. Lots to enjoy, and I’m sure an average number of artists that will be remembered long after they’re done or gone. You don’t even have to be good to be iconic! Nirvana wasn’t the most talented or interesting group from that era, but they’re icons and well loved still.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #2769
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think Pepsi touched on something, that everything is just so fast moving now and there is a critical mass of music available for free (after streaming subscription, I mean), without that collective gathering on specific mediums/channels that we used to have.

It was the forced gathering around MTV/radio stations/other mediums, that drew millions to specific artists and kept many other bands/artists away from the population at large, thus creating "Superstars" and "legends".

Because of this, I do think we'll see the end of the "superstars " as we knew them in the coming decades. More artists will be more successful for shorter periods of time.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #2770
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Basically, there will always be amazing talent, and going forward there will be even more of those talented artists available to us, but I believe past legends and superstars were propped up by an industry that controlled who was in and where we heard/saw them.

So we will see a major decline in the artist or band that can come out and play hockey arenas/stadiums for 20-40 years straight. I mean look at lot of artists now that have hundreds of millions of views on mega hit songs and they play clubs and festival slots.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #2771
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderson Paak. Bruno Mars. Beyonce. Childish Gambino (who I believe will float in and out with brilliant album drops every 5-10yrs). Taylor Swift. Justin Timberlake. Jack White.

All these artists IMO will be remembered and continue to sell out concerts decades from now. There are plenty more who will I'm sure. You can't say music now will have no staying power, no one has any idea what will have staying power. Then all of a sudden 30 years go by and people are still listening to RHCP. Or Coldplay. Or Radiohead. or Daft Punk. You can say JT or Jack White are 'old' artists, but isn't that the point? When the White Stripes were new did you think people would be listening to Seven Nation Army 2 decades later? I guarantee Timberlake will return with music at some point at it will again be huge. And I'm sure 20 years from now we'll be surprised and impressed by the staying power and growth some artists have gone through.

As for SNL. I'll admit, I never really knew who Dua Lipa was before seeing her performance and I was hooked.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #2772
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is silly. For one, Band Aid had some real nobodies on the track. This wasn’t 30 iconic artists, this was a few artists still doing their thing today and a bunch of artists nobody remembers or cares about. Is that much different?

We might not have an Aretha Franklin, but that’s largely because the musical landscape is so different, not because the musical talent is worse. That’s the same reason people might not remember Ed Sheeran as a “classic” in 20 years. There’s more selection than ever, things move faster than ever. Gone are the days of mom and pop buying one record a year and saying “gosh, that Ray Charles sure knows how to tickle the keys!” or whatever old timey thing you want to insert.

Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Adele, Kanye, etc etc. Lots of big artists who might be looked at fondly down the line. Who knows. “Where is our Bruce Springsteen??” I dunno? Look harder.
Uh, all of these artists came out a decade or two ago...kinda proves my point no

I was responding to "moving the culture forward" or whatever...what artist is doing that? mumbling over 70s tracks is topping the charts.

And yes there is good music out there, like someone else said you have to dig deep to find it these days though, deeper than ever IMO.

There are a lot of young people that agree, if you go to concert of a big 80s band like half the crowd is under 35. People that want to hear real music played on instruments ect.

Last edited by dino7c; 12-15-2021 at 12:53 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #2773
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Anderson Paak. Bruno Mars. Beyonce. Childish Gambino (who I believe will float in and out with brilliant album drops every 5-10yrs). Taylor Swift. Justin Timberlake. Jack White.

All these artists IMO will be remembered and continue to sell out concerts decades from now. There are plenty more who will I'm sure. You can't say music now will have no staying power, no one has any idea what will have staying power. Then all of a sudden 30 years go by and people are still listening to RHCP. Or Coldplay. Or Radiohead. or Daft Punk. You can say JT or Jack White are 'old' artists, but isn't that the point? When the White Stripes were new did you think people would be listening to Seven Nation Army 2 decades later? I guarantee Timberlake will return with music at some point at it will again be huge. And I'm sure 20 years from now we'll be surprised and impressed by the staying power and growth some artists have gone through.

As for SNL. I'll admit, I never really knew who Dua Lipa was before seeing her performance and I was hooked.
oh hell ya this song is banging

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #2774
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s the one that got me.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #2775
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trends in music have typically followed technological development, tech gave artists access to new sounds (electric guitars, synthesizers, etc.) that would end up driving the next "big thing' in music (rock, disco, etc.). Music tech hit it's ceiling about 10 years when EDM was on top, since then most innovations in music tech have been about making things cheaper, digital and more accessible. The music studio itself is in it's death throes and might be toast if someone ever figures out a good way to track drums at home.

As listeners we've been spoiled by a seemingly endless wave of technological innovation that led to artisitic inspiraton, but it looks that wave is now a trickle
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #2776
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Speaking of SNL and the type of musical acts that have broad appeal, things are very, very different now than they were in, for example, the mid-late 90s.

You think RATM or any band like them is playing SNL nowadays? Not a friggin chance. The days of Korn, Limp Bizkit, Tool, Marilyn Manson, RATM etc fighting for MTV airtime with Britney, Christina, Nsync and Backstreet Boys is a distant memory.

Now, most of those bands weren’t exactly SNL’s typical musical guest but you’d at least occasionally get a heavier band. That’s basically a complete no go nowadays. Those kinds of bands just don’t have the same broad mainstream appeal they did 25 years ago. They’ve become niche again, like they were before Metallica helped lead the heavy music resurgence in the late 80s.

Current SNL is probably 65% female pop stars now, 25% rap and 10% soft rock.

I can’t even name a chart topping hard rock band that still produces new music on a regular basis except Tool. Foo Fighters are probably the heaviest act on SNL in a long time and they played Shame and, IIRC, a quiet rework of times like these. Neither of which are exactly bangers.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #2777
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Metallica is still the biggest band in the world currently and I believe their albums still sell as well.

Guns and Roses is another one along with Foo Fighters among a few bands that can sell out arenas and stadiums.

I think the best music has already been made, I haven't found a good band in a long time that I've really gotten into or bought their whole music discography but have done that for bands that aren't even together anymore.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #2778
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Metallica is still the biggest band in the world currently and I believe their albums still sell as well.

Guns and Roses is another one along with Foo Fighters among a few bands that can sell out arenas and stadiums.

I think the best music has already been made, I haven't found a good band in a long time that I've really gotten into or bought their whole music discography but have done that for bands that aren't even together anymore.
GnR died November 7, 1991

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #2779
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
...Music tech hit it's ceiling about 10 years when EDM was on top...
EDM was and still is no good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 10:21 PM   #2780
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
GnR died November 7, 1991
Yet over 5M people have gone to their concerts in the last 5 years...averaging 33k per show

Last edited by dino7c; 12-15-2021 at 10:34 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote