Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ticket stubs... and death of paper tickets

There was an article on Sports Illustrated recently about the "demise" of the paper ticket, thanks to technology, smart phones, etc. It's an interesting read, especially if you're an older CPer or someone, like me, who likes to keep or collect random things like stubs, programs, etc:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/12/ba...rs-opening-day

The Flames went from nice hardcopy season ticket books to electronic season ticket cards several years ago, but "generic" paper tickets can still be requested (this year they have the 40th Anniversary logo on them). So it got me thinking, does anyone still use paper tickets and/or keep the stubs? And have you kept any notable stubs from previous games you've attended, Flames or otherwise?

I know there are a handful of collectors out there who specifically collect ticket stubs, but I'd be interested to know if there is a particular stub that is meaningful to you, either because of the game, or maybe who you went with (as discussed in the SI article).

For me, I've kept a handful of stubs over the years, most notably from the 2014 and 2018 Grey Cups. I also have a set of stubs from the 2004 playoff run -- purchased from a season ticket holder many, many years ago -- which I've framed.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Printed tickets for the Flames game last night and my 3 year old says to me

"Those aren't tickets silly"
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I have a random assortment of stubs from big events I attended. At one point I had over 100 stubs from all the Flames games I ever attended. Sold them to a CPer so I hope his collection is going well!

I still have my stubs from the 04 run incl SCF game 3. I have both my Grey Cup tickets (09 and 13). 89 GC ticket (my dad’s). SuperBowl 17 (my grandpa’s). Canadian Grand Prix. ND vs Miami football. A few notable concerts, especially when I got customized fan club tickets. One set I had custom framed with the concert poster.

I no longer care unless it’s a big event. But damn they’re stating to charge a lot extra. My F1 tickets this year were an extra $30 for hard copies.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-19-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only care about it if its a notable event or something special. I keep my Tragically Hip concert ticket in a framed poster I got from the show, and I plan on doing something with my Banjo Bowl ticket.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, paper tickets will be outdated soon, it seems, but I like paper tickets for concert and other events. We do save all of them and then make framed collages. Still have a pair of Pink Floyd tickets from 1994 and Game 6 Flames-Tampa. Good memories.

I've seen a very cool way of preserving paper tickets at one of the charitable auctions a few years ago. They are arranged on the board and then set with some kind of clear hard lacquer or resin or glue over top. Looks amazing, actually, with all the texture and volume preserved.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
spennywalks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I work for the Ticats and there is a ton of our customers who still want their hard copy tickets
spennywalks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spennywalks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that article too as one of the 'old' generation who are still trying to adjust to electronic tickets. Actually other than the last flight I took earlier this year I have never used an e-ticket but am generally okay with the concept.

i too have a bit of a collection stuffed in a box in my room. Mainly NHL and CFL tickets from various games and venues I have been to. One WWF back when Hulk Hogan, Macho Man etc. ruled the world and the stub from the only NFL game I have been too.

I do have one prized possession and it's framed in our basement. My ticket stub from Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter, his last one he threw and it was against the Blue Jays to boot.

How do e-tickets work when you are going to an event that is not in your home country and you do not have a roaming package on your phone?

Edit to add:
I forgot about one other ticket stub I still Have. Edmonton Oilers vs USSR. December 29, 1982.

Last edited by Lubicon; 09-20-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
There was an article on Sports Illustrated recently about the "demise" of the paper ticket, thanks to technology, smart phones, etc. It's an interesting read, especially if you're an older CPer or someone, like me, who likes to keep or collect random things like stubs, programs, etc:

The Flames went from nice hardcopy season ticket books to electronic season ticket cards several years ago, but "generic" paper tickets can still be requested (this year they have the 40th Anniversary logo on them). So it got me thinking, does anyone still use paper tickets and/or keep the stubs? And have you kept any notable stubs from previous games you've attended, Flames or otherwise?
Do you have a picture of what those tickets look like?
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I read that article too as one of the 'old' generation who are still trying to adjust to electronic tickets. Actually other than the last flight I took earlier this year I have never used an e-ticket but am generally okay with the concept.

i too have a bit of a collection stuffed in a box in my room. Mainly NHL and CFL tickets from various games and venues I have been to. One WWF back when Hulk Hogan, Macho Man etc. ruled the world and the stub from the only NFL game I have been too.

I do have one prized possession and it's framed in our basement. My ticket stub from Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter, his last one he threw and it was against the Blue Jays to boot.

How do e-tickets work when you are going to an event that is not in your home country and you do not have a roaming package on your phone?
Download it at your hotel and take a photo of it. Edit: Screenshot is what I meant by taking a photo.

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 09-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The best strategy is to open up the e-ticket somewhere that you have wifi access and take a screen grab of the bar code.

I do that when I'm checking in to flights or using tickets anyway because it ensures you'll have the code ready to scan when you get to the front of the line rather than having an app reset itself or some other stupid thing right when you need it.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

I know there are a handful of collectors out there who specifically collect ticket stubs, but I'd be interested to know if there is a particular stub that is meaningful to you, either because of the game, or maybe who you went with (as discussed in the SI article).

For me, I've kept a handful of stubs over the years, most notably from the 2014 and 2018 Grey Cups. I also have a set of stubs from the 2004 playoff run -- purchased from a season ticket holder many, many years ago -- which I've framed.
there is a market to sell old ticket stubs?
didn't think a stub would mean much to someone if they were not at the event.

I gotta google some sites. I have some great ones I was just going to throw away.

for hockey my best one is the cup clinching game in 1988 which ended up being gretzkys last game as an oiler.

my fav would be my Cowboy Junkies front row ticket when they played the SUB theatre on the U of A campus back in I think 1989.

another favorite is my ticket for Iron Maiden in 1984 with Twisted Sister opening.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

What happens if your phone runs out of power?

Maybe facial recognition and finger printing is next...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #13
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My ticket stub from Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter, his last one he threw and it was against the Blue Jays to boot.
I attended a no-hitter against the Blue Jays this year. E-tickets though, so not much of a memento.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #14
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I attended a no-hitter against the Blue Jays this year. E-tickets though, so not much of a memento.
Don't worry,, there will likely be another one shortly....
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #15
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://imgur.com/zIc4nKp
Old 09-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST20 View Post
Do you have a picture of what those tickets look like?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

To see the Maestro himself. E-tickets would never look as good.

Last edited by The Last Jedi; 09-19-2019 at 06:27 PM.
The Last Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Last Jedi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #18
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
What happens if your phone runs out of power?

Maybe facial recognition and finger printing is next...

Not sure if they are all like this but the flash seats app can be linked to a credit card as well. If your phone dies just use your CC to enter. They just swipe it and viola
spetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #19
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i've kept my 'big event' ticket stubs - most are concerts (i think aerosmith, doobie brothers and bb king would be my favourites).

i have the stubs from when my dad got us tickets to game 2 of the cup final in '89. they are in an "esso hockey book" from back in the day. it's got tons of signatures in it that i collected over the years. probably the coolest signature in the book would be rocket richard!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this being the topic,I plan on heading to Vegas Oct 11th. Calgary plays Vegas on the 12th. Would you recommend stub hub? Ticketmaster?