Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Which training camp PTOs get offered a contract
Tobias Reider 199 48.66%
Andrew MacDonald 106 25.92%
Eric Gryba 5 1.22%
Devante Smith-Pelley 94 22.98%
Zac Rinaldo 141 34.47%
Alex Grenier 2 0.49%
A PTO from a different team 6 1.47%
None 84 20.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Stone was another PTO and didn't have a contract I would say MacDonald has a good chance
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #42
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
I hope none of them get deals except AHL. But I think MacDonald has been the best.
I agree. That said, the Flames have quite a few contract spots remaining.

If they they sign someone, I hope it's a 2-way
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #43
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted MacDonald and Smith-Pelly. Could be cheap(-ish) bets for playoffs without losing prospects and picks at the deadline for the similar quality players.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #44
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cannot see many of them making it unless they are open to playing in between the AHL and NHL
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #45
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I voted none, but not because I don't like them.

I actually kind of like the PTO group this year, much more so than other years for example, especially with respect to the speed and physicality of the forwards, and the experience and depth on the back end, and wouldn't mind at all seeing one or two of them signed, but unless they are two-way contracts with a mutual understanding that there could be significant AHL time, then I just don't see room.

With Dube pushing as hard as he is, Mangiapane now signed and in camp, Czarnik off to a hot start, etc., I'm just not sure where any of the PTO guys would slot in from a line-up perspective.

Not to mention cap realities.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Mangiapane
Czarnik

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Stone

I don't see the Flames carrying a 23-man roster because of cap constraints. I know both Stone and Czarnik have holes in their game, but so would any of the PTO's, so I'm not convinced the PTO's beat out depth guys that are already signed.

I'd love to have 2-3 of them signed as depth to fill in for injuries, match-ups against certain teams, or to fill in for roster moves that could happen over the course of the season, but honestly, unless the PTO's are willing to spend significant time in the AHL, at least to start the year, I just don't see a fit.

Now if there is a trade or two in the mix as camp starts to wind down then that obviously changes everything, and there certainly could be depending on what happens with the Tkachuk contract, but short of that, I think it might be none.

Ideally we can sign a couple of two-way contracts - would love to see that actually, and there's certainly a chance we could. Just can't see any one-way contracts and a spot on the team unless there's a trade or two.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #46
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think it's going to come down to MacDonald and Reider, depending on what moves are made for the cap. If its a forward moved (Frolik, Jankowski, Czarnik) Reider is signed. If it's Brodie moved, MacDonald signed as the 7th dman with a configuration of
Gio-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Stone
MacDonald

MacDonald to rotate in that 3rd pairing as needed.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #47
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/DarrenWHaynes/st...59706432606213

@DarrenWHaynes
Quote:
FWIW, my Flames PTO power rankings (likeliness to sign):
1. Rieder
2. MacDonald
3. Rinaldo
4. Smith-Pelly
5. Grenier

I’d be surprised if you don’t see at least one. I’d suggest multiple signings are very possible, especially if players (i.e. Rinaldo) are open to two-deals.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #48
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That seems about right to me, although, I might put MacDonald ahead of Rieder. I think they both get signed either way.

I think Grenier has only been playing for a spot on the Heat any way and I haven't seen enough of him to know if he has earned that.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I agree with Darren entirely. I think the first three get contracts and Rieder and MacDonald start with the big club

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #50
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

As camp progresses, my favourites have changed. Smith-Pelly has dropped, Reider is rising. MacDonald is my darkhorse.

You still have to factor in the labour pool floating about other NHL camps, as well as any late waiver pickups.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 09-22-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #51
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Some more thoughts from @DarrenWHaynes:
Quote:
I feel like MacDonald’s fate is tied to Brodie’s, unless he is willing to sign a two-way, which I doubt — this is a guy that logged 20+ mins in the NHL up until last season. Kylington slots ahead of him, for me, but would take him as a 7th if Brodie moved.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #52
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Some more thoughts from @DarrenWHaynes:
I don't know. If we are talking about spot duty here and there I think Valiev and Yelesin are both better options.

They're all going to have flubbs and weak moments but I'd prefer to give those minutes to fresh eyes and feet who can actually improve and become more valuable as time goes on.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #53
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I don't know. If we are talking about spot duty here and there I think Valiev and Yelesin are both better options.

They're all going to have flubbs and weak moments but I'd prefer to give those minutes to fresh eyes and feet who can actually improve and become more valuable as time goes on.
I think you have to play the long game. Depth is paramount. Give them more time in ahl to learn North American game in Yelesin’s case and have Valiev there to help adjust. If there are more injuries then we have them as options. And maybe next year they are ready for prime time.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #54
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I expect we'll see DSP and Grenier released tomorrow, to be honest

Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 PM   #55
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I expect we'll see DSP and Grenier released tomorrow, to be honest

With an away game on Thursday in San Jose, I expect we’ll see the majority of cuts on Friday.

Run the guys who have earned another shot on Tuesday Vs. the Jets, then sit most of the vets/guys on the team on Thursday, make final cuts Friday, go with pretty much opening night roster on Saturday.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #56
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Which PTOs make the cut

Double post.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #57
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team can not afford to move Brodie, just don’t have the depth to sustain another injury to a top 4 guy.

I shudder to think of MacDonald and Stone in the lineup together. For all the hate that Brodie gets on here, I can’t believe how tolerant some are of MacDonald.

MacDonald better not be signed and play ahead of Kylington. They both make bad turnovers and are weak physically but Kylington can still grow and develop, plus he is dynamic offensively which MacDonald can’t even come close to.

Kylington should be the 6th defenceman with a Stone as the 7th. Davidson is already signed so he is 8. I’ve been satisfied with Valiev too, I’m not sure Macdonald is better than him.

The only way I trade Brodie is if there is a cheaper legitimate NHL defenseman coming back who also has some upside. The reason for trading Brodie should not be because of the availability of MacDonald.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #58
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
With an away game on Thursday in San Jose, I expect we’ll see the majority of cuts on Friday.

Run the guys who have earned another shot on Tuesday Vs. the Jets, then sit most of the vets/guys on the team on Thursday, make final cuts Friday, go with pretty much opening night roster on Saturday.
I disagree. I think we need to start seeing the main roster in action for two or three preseason games and I think Peters feels the same way, seeing as how there's a big round of cuts supposedly on schedule for today.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #59
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the first PTO to make it will be Rinaldo and I'm surprised to be saying this.

The guy has totally changed my perspective of him since camp started. Speaks well, is a great interview off the ice.

On the ice he's a lot faster than I though the was, of course doesn't mind going into dirty spots and we all know he can drop the gloves with the best of them. I think he fills the 4th line role we're missing just perfectly. He's also there if you want him as the 13th FW to slot in and protect our guys against the dirty division rivals, he's takes Hathaway's spot on the 4th line, not as "skilled" for lack of a better word but a LOT tougher.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #60
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I agree with Darren entirely. I think the first three get contracts and Rieder and MacDonald start with the big club
Do you think it would be Stone or Kylington sent down to Stockton then?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote