Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2019, 05:57 AM   #701
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Well I can understand why shuttles are slow. The incident happened at 3:30 and there are thousands of people at rush hour. A bus holds maybe 50.

But the announcements are the problem. No one can hear anything and they dont use those digital boards. 7ave closed should be in big block letters.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #702
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter waited almost an hour to get onto a train NB at University Station yesterday afternoon. They were absolutely packed coming out of DT with the schedule being disrupted so much.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #703
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I ended up grabbing dinner downtown and catching a train from city hall around 7:00 last night.

I don't even attempt the shuttles in these situations, I learned years ago that if these jams occur in the morning, it's faster to get off and walk. If they occur in the evening your best bet is to hunker down on a barstool for an hour or so.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #704
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

The guy involved didn't survive. Sounds like he 'went missing' from the Foothills earlier in the day - psychiatric hold I'm guessing?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/transit-s...dent-1.4595971
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #705
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
My daughter waited almost an hour to get onto a train NB at University Station yesterday afternoon. They were absolutely packed coming out of DT with the schedule being disrupted so much.
That's on your daughter for not shooting over to the Den for a beer to wait it out.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #706
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can appreciate that these things are tough for Calgary Transit to deal with, but communication is definitely lacking. Last year I was in the midst of a similar delay, yet nothing on the digital boards, vague announcements about "the red line is running 10 minutes behind schedule due to an emergency" even though I had been standing there for over 30 minutes, etc. Just be straight - trains aren't able to leave the core, and we don't know when they will be. Fine - I'll start walking.

In the end it was random users on Twitter that confirmed (via some searches I had made) when trains were actually getting through again, which helped me plan my walk/wait/call wife conundrum.

And I say this with absolute respect for the victim, the families, first responders, the need to investigate, etc. The issue isn't the emergency, it is Calgary Transit's vague or non-existent information to commuters.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #707
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I can appreciate that these things are tough for Calgary Transit to deal with, but communication is definitely lacking. Last year I was in the midst of a similar delay, yet nothing on the digital boards, vague announcements about "the red line is running 10 minutes behind schedule due to an emergency" even though I had been standing there for over 30 minutes, etc. Just be straight - trains aren't able to leave the core, and we don't know when they will be. Fine - I'll start walking.

In the end it was random users on Twitter that confirmed (via some searches I had made) when trains were actually getting through again, which helped me plan my walk/wait/call wife conundrum.

And I say this with absolute respect for the victim, the families, first responders, the need to investigate, etc. The issue isn't the emergency, it is Calgary Transit's vague or non-existent information to commuters.
I find CT's twitter to be fairly on the ball when it comes to these kinds of situations. If I walk up to a platform and notice an unusual amount of people waiting, their twitter is the first thing I check. As well, the platform PA system seems to be updated about every 5-7 minutes.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #708
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I find CT's twitter to be fairly on the ball when it comes to these kinds of situations. If I walk up to a platform and notice an unusual amount of people waiting, their twitter is the first thing I check. As well, the platform PA system seems to be updated about every 5-7 minutes.

The Twitter is alright, less as a direct result of CT reporting anything useful, but more because people are chirping about what's happening and you can use your judgment on how to proceed.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #709
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Looks like Ctrain vs pedestrian at 5 ave and 9th street going SB. Long horn and the train has been stopped mid intersection for 5 minutes.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #710
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is really not the thread one would expect to get bumped at a time like this.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #711
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This is really not the thread one would expect to get bumped at a time like this.
You mean mass layoffs, a global pandemic, stocks going in the tank, schools shutting down, etc. etc. aren't big enough stressors?
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #712
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
C-Trains...the real scourge of our times! 'Big Transit' wants you to forget about 'The Silent Killer!'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #713
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
You mean mass layoffs, a global pandemic, stocks going in the tank, schools shutting down, etc. etc. aren't big enough stressors?
Just from a reduction of possibilities for this to even happen standpoint. So many people aren't even in their offices right now.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #714
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably someone bickering with peter12 on their phone.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #715
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Fortunately, it sounds like I was wrong. Turns out it was a hit and run- vehicle that hit the train took off. I just took the full stoppage and the lack of any sense of urgency to be "really bad."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #716
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Fortunately, it sounds like I was wrong. Turns out it was a hit and run- vehicle that hit the train took off. I just took the full stoppage and the lack of any sense of urgency to be "really bad."
Well there's a new one. Can't say I've heard of a hit and run involving a train before.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #717
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Well there's a new one. Can't say I've heard of a hit and run involving a train before.
I envision that it was the train that made a break for it.

"Oh no! The Train is getting away!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #718
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like a person was hit and killed while on the tracks this morning:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rian-1.5584624
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote