Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #761
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Its that time of the year again where I gotta figure out where im gonna watch all my Flames games this season. I am leaning towards rogers gamecenter live but have trouble finding any definitive answers on there site and even reddit.
I see there is still in-market blackouts and live in Saskatchewan. So that means blackouts for Flames/Oilers and Jets games I believe unless someone can correct me on that.
I also read that you can no longer use a vpn for getting around blackouts. You lose your subscription and get fined $100. Is this true? Or is it just an empty threat? Cause there is no point in me getting it if this is the case.
Do they leave me no other options to watch Flames games legally without cable? Please help me out. PM me if you cant post an answer on this forum.

Thanks in advance
Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #762
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonger View Post
Its that time of the year again where I gotta figure out where im gonna watch all my Flames games this season. I am leaning towards rogers gamecenter live but have trouble finding any definitive answers on there site and even reddit.
I see there is still in-market blackouts and live in Saskatchewan. So that means blackouts for Flames/Oilers and Jets games I believe unless someone can correct me on that.
I also read that you can no longer use a vpn for getting around blackouts. You lose your subscription and get fined $100. Is this true? Or is it just an empty threat? Cause there is no point in me getting it if this is the case.
Do they leave me no other options to watch Flames games legally without cable? Please help me out. PM me if you cant post an answer on this forum.

Thanks in advance
I find it hard to believe they will/can fine you $100 for using a VPN. Worse case is they will just disconnect your service, and even then I find it hard to believe they would do it.

Last season on Rogers GameCenter, my FIL and I split the sub, I live in Victoria and he lived in Calgary - we watched the games at the same time. That would by definition flag the account you would think. People travel, we live in a digital age where travel for work is a very real thing. Point being, the amount of effort on their behalf to cancel 'potentially' VPNing paying clients isnt worth their time IMO.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #763
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

They threaten to charge you for early termination of service. I have my doubts that would follow through.

Quote:
IF YOU CIRCUMVENT OR ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT ANY BLACKOUT RESTRICTION OR OTHER USE RESTRICTION: YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION AND A CHARGE OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00) FOR EARLY TERMINATION WILL BE APPLIED TO YOUR CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD; YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO LEGAL ACTION; AND THE NHL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPORT SUCH MISCONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
FYI - I used the NHL.tv addon for Kodi. It requires a valid subscription to NHL.tv (or GameCentre of whatever it is now) but works perfectly without blackout restrictions (Last season anyway). I would have to reconfirm that this is still the case when the season starts again.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 09-20-2016 at 02:35 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #764
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Honestly, if they're going to be dicks about it like that, then I'll probably just use HDSports.ca
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #765
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure that's stuff the lawyers want put in there when they make the contracts.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #766
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Google NHL.tv addon by Eracknaphobia. You will have to send his repo to your amazon box, I think. I don't think it is in official repo, but may be?
It is excellent. Live plus full, condensed and about 10 minute highlights for each game. Really good quality, without buffering. Also works with Rogers login, which you get with phone plan.
Thanks! I downloaded it and looks good also did MLB even though there is an app already. Was super easy to push files and get it set up
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #767
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, so I have a bit of a dumb question.

I had a subscription to Rogers GCL last season, and when the World Cup started, I got an e-mail from Rogers asking me to renew "to get instant access to the World Cup".

I was just thinking about renewing it, and the Rogers website is clearly asking for money. But on Saturday, while I was out, I wanted to check the score of the Canada-Russia game, so I opened the NHL app on my phone, and clicked the Watch button, just purely out of habit. At that moment, I thought, "Oh, I'm going to get an error cause I haven't renewed". But the game started playing...and even right now, I can watch any of the 'archived' games on NHL.com.

The subscription was not auto-renewed (Rogers.com is asking me for money), and there is no charge on my credit card from Rogers or the NHL. If I use incognito mode to browse the same 'Watch' links on NHL.com (i.e. Not being logged in with my account), it prompts for Rogers GCL credentials.

Am I missing something here?

(I don't want to ask Rogers, cause it seems like NHL.tv thinks my subscription is active even though I haven't paid! )
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #768
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did you say...subscribe some time in early October, so your 12 month subscription has not expired yet?
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #769
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Did you say...subscribe some time in early October, so your 12 month subscription has not expired yet?
Why, yes actually, I did. The 'welcome' e-mail is dated Oct 1, 2015. That must be why, lol.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #770
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe not the correct thread, but Shomi is being shut down at the end of November. I assumed it was quite successful.

http://www.660news.com/2016/09/26/we...ill-shut-down/
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #771
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assumed it was a money losing dog based on how much advertising they did. I don't know anyone who subscribed to it.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #772
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I assumed it was a money losing dog based on how much advertising they did. I don't know anyone who subscribed to it.
They should have merged it with Telus/Bell's Crave TV to take on Netflix. Instead, they went it alone and are shutting down.

On a related note, anyone know how Crave TV is doing? Is it going to follow suit soon?

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #773
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what happens to the streaming rights in Canada for shows that were on shomi?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #774
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I wonder what happens to the streaming rights in Canada for shows that were on shomi?
One would hope that they would be picked up by competitors rather than just be dropped completely.

Obviously most would want Netflix to pick them up, but Crave is in that conversation too, provided they also don't shut down.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #775
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the shows they have are Amazon or Hulu shows in the States, so it's unlikely Netflix will pick any of them up.

I really don't understand why Amazon doesn't make their programming available in Canada directly, but I'm sure there's some reason for it.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #776
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I really don't understand why Amazon doesn't make their programming available in Canada directly, but I'm sure there's some reason for it.
I don't understand why they don't even make their devices available in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
On a related note, anyone know how Crave TV is doing? Is it going to follow suit soon?
I sure hope not. Crave is actually awesome. Better solution than a netflix VPN, IMO. I've been watching it a ton lately.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #777
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL

Rogers/Shaw just pulled the plug on Shomi.

Edit: Looks like I'm slow on this.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #778
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
They should have merged it with Telus/Bell's Crave TV to take on Netflix. Instead, they went it alone and are shutting down.

Sure hope not. Seinfeld alone is worth $7.99. Also check out Letterkenney if you haven't yet.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #779
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone updated to the latest BBC iPlayer app on iOS yet? Just wondering if they've done anything about the TV license requirement.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #780
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I want to buy one of those Kodi box things off kijiji, what should I be looking for in terms of specs and pricing?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote