Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #941
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eldrick, have you had any issues recording video?

It keeps telling me I'm out of memory, yet nothing is saved on the device.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #942
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Eldrick, have you had any issues recording video?

It keeps telling me I'm out of memory, yet nothing is saved on the device.
Not using external drive, micro sd.
Had not had any issues to start, but had a couple errors instead of recording recently. Not sure why
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #943
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

What size/kind of Micro SD did you go with?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #944
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

128gb
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #945
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

DAZN has secured rights to the Champions League and Europa league in Canada. That's a pretty big coup for them. The PL is obviously the big fish but this is still pretty massive.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp/...e1sbp3fm43jsbc
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #946
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
DAZN has secured rights to the Champions League and Europa league in Canada. That's a pretty big coup for them. The PL is obviously the big fish but this is still pretty massive.

I have been very pleased with DAZN. Especially now that they play lots of baseball. I just hope they don't increase their price next year.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #947
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

I’ve grown to like DAZN. Previously I would subscribe to beIN Sports for the month if Norwich had a game on there, but the remaining programming wasn’t all that great. So I’d let my subscription lapse until the next time Norwich had a televised match.

Enter DAZN, and I also get all Serie A matches, along with La Liga and Ligue 1, plus a live stream of beIN as well.

Now they’ve picked up MLS (although Canadian teams are on a 48-hour delay due to TSN having the Canadian rights), and now Champions/Europa League. I don’t care much for NFL, but they’ve got every match on there too.

Plus they’ve got apps for my PS3, my LG TV, iOS, Apple TV. So it is really easy to watch. I have found myself keeping the subscription rolling instead of cancelling and re-subscribing. I’m a convert.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #948
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Shaw 2 yr 150 deal is up next month and I realized it's crept up to $134 a month for a whole bunch of channels I don't watch. I also realized most of the dwindling number of shows my wife and I do watch are available on the Big 3 Canadian networks.

So with that I'm going to try and cut the cord seeing as how I have the most expensive parts of it all already (a NAS running Plex, a PlexPass, and an unused Amazon Fire TV unit). Wife acceptance factor has to be high on this so I'm counting on Plex to be easy to use...

Ordered today:

- HD Homerun Extend (thought I'd go big right from the start on this vs having to upgrade if I watch more LiveTV than expected)

- Mohu 30 Antenna

According to TVfool I'm 7 miles away so hopefully the antenna will work. I'll put the antenna in a 2nd floor west facing window leading to the HDHomerun and will plug in to the household ethernet network from that room. Plex should act as a PVR and I upgunned the HDHomerun to hopefully have enough juice for LiveTV transcoding.

Will report back how this works. Fingers crossed - would love to ditch the $50/month fee for "TV". Hopeing to get the bill down to $90 a month for 150 speeds.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #949
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

So with the DAZN deal with the exclusive rights for Champions League / Europa League, does it mean TSN and SN will not be broadcasting the games from next season on?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #950
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
My Shaw 2 yr 150 deal is up next month and I realized it's crept up to $134 a month for a whole bunch of channels I don't watch. I also realized most of the dwindling number of shows my wife and I do watch are available on the Big 3 Canadian networks.

So with that I'm going to try and cut the cord seeing as how I have the most expensive parts of it all already (a NAS running Plex, a PlexPass, and an unused Amazon Fire TV unit). Wife acceptance factor has to be high on this so I'm counting on Plex to be easy to use...

Ordered today:

- HD Homerun Extend (thought I'd go big right from the start on this vs having to upgrade if I watch more LiveTV than expected)

- Mohu 30 Antenna

According to TVfool I'm 7 miles away so hopefully the antenna will work. I'll put the antenna in a 2nd floor west facing window leading to the HDHomerun and will plug in to the household ethernet network from that room. Plex should act as a PVR and I upgunned the HDHomerun to hopefully have enough juice for LiveTV transcoding.

Will report back how this works. Fingers crossed - would love to ditch the $50/month fee for "TV". Hopeing to get the bill down to $90 a month for 150 speeds.
If you wouldn't mind, can you report back on how this worked out for you and what the wife acceptance factor was?

I'm in a similar situation, and I also have a server running Plex, and a Plex Pass.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #951
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
So with the DAZN deal with the exclusive rights for Champions League / Europa League, does it mean TSN and SN will not be broadcasting the games from next season on?
Yes, that appears to be the case: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...league-soccer/

Quote:
It’s exclusive broadcast rights for every single round, every single game for both the Champions League and Europa League,” DAZN chief executive James Rushton said from England. “We have no intention of licensing any of it.”
Old 06-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #952
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

Ordered today:

- Mohu 30 Antenna
For your internet, I have switched to http://teksavvy.com and recommend it. Google reviews, etc. For 150mpbs it's $70/month. The exact same service as Shaw. I've only been active for a week but find it to be equivalent to Shaw. They sent the modem, I plugged it in and away it goes. There are upfront charges for activation and purchasing the modem, about $140.

A $20 difference per month still makes it worthwhile to me.

Vip
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericschand For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #953
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschand View Post
For your internet, I have switched to http://teksavvy.com and recommend it. Google reviews, etc. For 150mpbs it's $70/month. The exact same service as Shaw. I've only been active for a week but find it to be equivalent to Shaw. They sent the modem, I plugged it in and away it goes. There are upfront charges for activation and purchasing the modem, about $140.

A $20 difference per month still makes it worthwhile to me.

Vip
Or just play hardball (or barely any games at all in my case) and get 150 for $60/month with Shaw. I think I outlined it in the telus vs. shaw thread, but it can be had for that price with no issues, especially if you're already a customer.

After that, just get a Firestick and an Eternal TV account and feel good about your life choices. Supplement with Netflix and Amazon TV because we all have those accounts and you're looking even better. Add in the K word everyone loves to hate with some good repos and a Real-Debrid account and you may never leave your living room
Old 06-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #954
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Or just play hardball (or barely any games at all in my case) and get 150 for $60/month with Shaw. I think I outlined it in the telus vs. shaw thread, but it can be had for that price with no issues, especially if you're already a customer.

After that, just get a Firestick and an Eternal TV account and feel good about your life choices. Supplement with Netflix and Amazon TV because we all have those accounts and you're looking even better. Add in the K word everyone loves to hate with some good repos and a Real-Debrid account and you may never leave your living room
How long is the $60 for? 6 months? Indefinite? Until they raise the prices again? I'm happy with $70 and no haggling.

I tried hardball, as I was expecting to leave for TekSavvy. I told them so, that they have to compete with $70/month. The best they could do on a no-contract was $90/month. So I left. They did want to re-visit the price when I phoned them to cancel all services. I ended up telling them, "I don't want anymore numbers, I'm done. I've got TekSavvy up and running."

They again wanted to talk price when I went to hand in the cable modem.

So maybe the $60 is reachable but what's the point after I've already left and subscribed elsewhere? Should have offered it before I left, when I phoned and gave them the chance.

Venturing off topic but that's the problem I see in many places. When I leave, all of a sudden you want to offer me better prices or service. Why make me go to that point, then try to win me back? Why not try to keep me in the first place? You know, customer service, maybe, just maybe, I'll feel happy and tell people, "I'm with Shaw!" instead of "Uh...I use...Shaw " Or in my case, "I used to be with Shaw... "

ers
The Following User Says Thank You to ericschand For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #955
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have 60 for 2 years, but it's simple at that point I just phone them and tell them that's what I'm paying or I just leave. I don't find it that cumbersome
Old 06-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #956
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I have 60 for 2 years, but it's simple at that point I just phone them and tell them that's what I'm paying or I just leave. I don't find it that cumbersome
Yah I've tried that. They say sorry we can't make it work and I have to leave haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #957
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah I've tried that. They say sorry we can't make it work and I have to leave haha.
I mean I just got it for 2 years literally last month, so I won't be phoning them to extend it for another 2 years. Its a pretty minor inconvenience for what I pay for the period of time I'm paying for it I guess. Its $240 over the life of the period savings, I have lots I can do with that money

EDIT: And I should say I use Shaw Open like mad, so that's a huge factor for me. I stream hockey and TV stuff on it all the time. Teksavvy is a downgrade in "overall" service for the price, despite being the same base service

Last edited by Aleks; 06-28-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #958
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing is Shaw knows if you are able to access Telus 300/300 or not. If you can't they won't give you as good of a deal.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #959
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon Prime Video is now available on Roku devices in Canada.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #960
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Amazon Prime Video is now available on Roku devices in Canada.

Yay! Finally! 4k too!