Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #81
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quenneville will be unemployed exactly as long as he feels like. He can pretty much call his shots. IMO Blues aren't a great opportunity. I'd wait for a real contender like Nashville or Tampa, if they don't have playoff success
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #82
mikey008
Draft Pick

LA Kings are needing a coach. He's probably gonna end up there
mikey008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #83
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey008 View Post

Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #84
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think he is hired for the same reason Vigneault hasn't been hired. Making a ton guaranteed for a couple years. Quenneville will make 6M this year and another 6M next year. I think both stay on the sideline until the Seattle job opens up. Might even think about retiring.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #85
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
The question was can you build a cup winning team around 2 players making 20% of the teams salary. The answer to that is an obvious yes. Now does Edmonton have a good enough GM or enough minor league talent to pull it off? Likely not, but it’s not going to because of McDavid and Draisaitl.

Except Crosby/Malkin take up 22% of their teams cap and McDavid/Draisaitl take up 26%. You can debate Crosby vs. McDavid all day long (I still take Crosby) but Malkin is far and away a better player than Drai. As far as trying to compare the rest of the roster:

Murray/Talbot: Murray’s injury prone but is still better than Talbot, especially with Talbot’s play last season and so far this season.

Letang/Klefbom: Neither is great defensively although Letang is slightly better than Klefbom in that regard. Offensively, Letang blows Klefbom out of the water.

Kessel/anyone: Edmonton does not have an elite shooting trigger man like Phil. Lucic was supposed to be that guy but he’s a 6.5 million dollar 4th liner. Maybe you could argue RNH but he’s not even approaching Kessel’s tier.

As far as the rest of the roster: Sheary/Hornqvist/Guentzel/Bonino/Shultz >>> RNH/Strome/Caggiula/Lucic/Larsson.

Also Rutherford is a much much better coach than McLellan.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #86
mikey008
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_starter View Post

He's only named interm head coach for the remainder of the season
mikey008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #87
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey008 View Post

Why would he go from one old, former cup contender to another?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #88
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still remember being surprised when he and Colorado agreed to mutually part ways. But he certainly had a solid 10-year run behind the bench with the Blackhawks.

Perhaps Q will make the jump to the GM/AGM ranks. He doesn't really have much left to prove at the coaching level.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #89
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will be really interested to hear what Quenneville has to say about this. Bowman has shown before that he's not above a bit of palace intrigue to attain or maintain power and this looks no different. As a power move, it makes sense: clear out the beloved and influential mustachioed one, bring in a young first-time head coach -- if he works out you look like a genius and if he flounders you plead patience and frame him as the right guy to guide the re-build or re-tool. Whichever path presents itself, you've eliminated the problem hanging overhead: that GM is JQ's logical next step, if he wants it, and with the team is in flux it would have been just as logical to move him upstairs to replace Bowman.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #90
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
I will be really interested to hear what Quenneville has to say about this. Bowman has shown before that he's not above a bit of palace intrigue to attain or maintain power and this looks no different. As a power move, it makes sense: clear out the beloved and influential mustachioed one, bring in a young first-time head coach -- if he works out you look like a genius and if he flounders you plead patience and frame him as the right guy to guide the re-build or re-tool. Whichever path presents itself, you've eliminated the problem hanging overhead: that GM is JQ's logical next step, if he wants it, and with the team is in flux it would have been just as logical to move him upstairs to replace Bowman.
Let us know when you sell the rights to HBO
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
Quenneville will say "sorry it didn't work out. Thanks for the ten years and two cups, Hawks". And that's about it it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #92
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Quenneville will say "sorry it didn't work out. Thanks for the ten years and Three cups, Hawks". And that's about it it.
Fyp.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #93
slybomb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd like to see him land in Buffalo. They have a lot of talent there and if he went in and got them playing the right way, the could be a fun team to watch.
slybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #94
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

teams that might pay $5+ for a coach

Toronto - already paying $6.35m for Babcock
Montreal - already paying $5m for Julien
NYR - already signed quinn for $2.4m x 5
Boston - Cassidy seems safe for now

San Jose - Could be a good fit for either AV or JQ
LAK - Could be a good fit for either AV or JQ
Chicago - Could be a good fit for either AV
Philly - Could be a good fit for either AV or JQ; current coach signed to end of 19-20
Washington - Could be a good fit for either AV or JQ
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #95
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was suprised to hear Coach Q was fired and even more surprised to hear an awesome Blackie, AB farm boy was hired. Very happy for Jeremy, he is a great guy and comes from a great family. Wish him all the best!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #96
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

In his 3rd year as a head coach his winning record was .530. The lowest he ever had until last season, which was his only season with a sub .500 record as a head coach. 22 years as head coach. Even this year was at .500 when he was let go.

Career regular season record of .609 and playoffs record of .549 with 3 Stanley Cups.

He's alright.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #97
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Let us know when you sell the rights to HBO

There's been chatter from legitimate sources for a while about factions within the Hawks organization going back at least to Tallon's ouster, which is now widely acknowledged to have been a power struggle with the Bowmans that Tallon lost. Plus lots of discussion over the last couple of years that Quenneville and Bowman were at odds.

Last edited by liamenator; 11-06-2018 at 04:29 PM.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #98
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if Columbus would be a darkhorse destination for him.

Looking to win this year, off to a slow start, and Q maybe entices Panarin to stay in Columbus.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #99
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is Joel Quenneville, Darryl Sutter, and Alain Vigneault all on the market. Pretty great crop of coaches to choose from if you are a team looking for a new coach.

Quenneville to Florida

Vigneault to St. Louis

Sutter to Edmonton
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #100
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Wow. Even though they were struggling I didn't expect Q to be fired yet. I guess it just goes to show that no coach is safe, unless your name rhymes with Rotty Rowman.

edit- 5 of the 6 first responses started with "wow" including mine. Lol.

Thank me later

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote