Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #1001
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also never would have happened if the movie was called White Panther. Fact of the matter is once it became one of the top five grossing movies ever it was a lock for Best Picture so #OscarsSoWhite didn't trend again. Quite obviously wasn't the best (or second best for that matter) Marvel movie last year, but it has the magic ingredient of wanting to avoid headlines. Of course now Black Panther gets the worst label ever, no not first comic book movie ever nominated, but most token movie ever nominated.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #1002
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It also never would have happened if the movie was called White Panther. Fact of the matter is once it became one of the top five grossing movies ever it was a lock for Best Picture so #OscarsSoWhite didn't trend again. Quite obviously wasn't the best (or second best for that matter) Marvel movie last year, but it has the magic ingredient of wanting to avoid headlines. Of course now Black Panther gets the worst label ever, no not first comic book movie ever nominated, but most token movie ever nominated.
97% of critics gave Black Panther a favorable review. Only 62% of critics gave Bohemian Rhapsody a favorable review, 64% with Vice, those are the bigger surprises for me.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #1003
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it was such a great movie is received zero acting, directing, or writing nominations. We all know why it's nominated for Best Picture, and that's fine (but it's really not, First Reformed obviously robbed). Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody don't deserve to be nominated either so don't care if they have worse RT scores. I think basically every comic book fan and most movie goers would say Infinity War was better in every aspect except....you know.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #1004
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yeah it was such a great movie is received zero acting, directing, or writing nominations. We all know why it's nominated for Best Picture, and that's fine (but it's really not, First Reformed obviously robbed). Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody don't deserve to be nominated either so don't care if they have worse RT scores. I think basically every comic book fan and most movie goers would say Infinity War was better in every aspect except....you know.
Mad Max Fury Road also got nominated and is a similar movie. Great action, high critic score but not a superhero film. It was going to happen eventually, I'm glad we finally got it and I'm okay with it being Black Panther. Dark Knight should have been nominated but we can't go back and change the past.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #1005
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a really weak year for Oscar-like movies. I'm not at all surprised it was nominated this year. I bet a movie like Dark Knight would have actually won. The only sure fire nominee of the eight movies was A Star is Born. The rest wouldn't have been nominated during years with better competition.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #1006
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Mad Max Fury Road also got nominated and is a similar movie. Great action, high critic score but not a superhero film. It was going to happen eventually, I'm glad we finally got it and I'm okay with it being Black Panther. Dark Knight should have been nominated but we can't go back and change the past.
Mad Max was nominated for Best Director and Best Cinematography too (along with all the technical categories). Those two are more of the traditional "actually a good movie" categories.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #1007
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The Oscars almost have to give BP a nomination after the whole debacle with the best "popular film" award. They're backing down from that but can't be seen as snubbing BP either.

BP has a best picture nomination, but no other nominations outside of anything technical. When was the last time that happened?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #1008
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think BP deserves to win best score, the music in that movie was on point. Very thematic. But it does not deserve to be in the BP category. If anything, Infinity War should be there over BP.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #1009
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

How is no one talking about Punisher season 2. Friggin loved it. Berenthal is an amazing Punisher
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #1010
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
How is no one talking about Punisher season 2. Friggin loved it. Berenthal is an amazing Punisher
Agreed, just finished it tonight. Very intense series, although I wasn't as much of a fan of this season. I felt like the story got a little disjointed near the end.

Either way, Berenthal again is pure money. The cast all around is high quality.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #1011
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I enjoyed it for the most part. Started off really strong and then kind of wandered in the middle. It probably should have been 10 episodes instead of 13. The ending was very much a Punisher ending. Something the character in the comics would do.

I was a little let down knowing Netflix is just going to cancel it. I wish they would have known before they completed filming so they could just blow it up.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #1012
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I enjoyed it for the most part. Started off really strong and then kind of wandered in the middle. It probably should have been 10 episodes instead of 13. The ending was very much a Punisher ending. Something the character in the comics would do.

I was a little let down knowing Netflix is just going to cancel it. I wish they would have known before they completed filming so they could just blow it up.
What??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #1013
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What??
It's not 100% certain but they've cancelled every other series after their season was released Iron Fist and Luke Cage probably deserved to be but Daredevil being cancelled didn't make sense. They have Punisher "finished" now and another season of Jessica Jones coming out and I think that'll be the end of Marvel originals on Netflix.

Bernthal seems ok with it. Or at least knows it's out of his control.

Quote:
“I know the reality of the situation and I’m at peace with it. I really only worry about the things I can control. When I’m playing the character and I’m doing the job and it’s right there in front of me, I do whatever I can to make it as good as I can. But in this business there’s so much we can’t control… Whatever is happening with these shows, these decisions are being made in rooms I’m not invited into and I’m okay with that.”
https://www.screengeek.net/2019/01/2...-jon-bernthal/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #1014
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

They better not cancel it. Best Punisher we’ve seen.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:43 AM   #1015
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Finally saw Into the Spiderverse. Can’t give it enough praise. Amazing, spectacular, sensational.

I knew almost nothing about it except it involved a multiverse. I’m not sure I even saw the trailer. It was the perfect crossover. A wonderful take on many Spider characters. I heard it had tons of inside jokes and Easter eggs and was clearly a labour of love from filmmakers who were passionate about the source material. I almost died near the beginning when there was a brief Earth 616 reference.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:08 AM   #1016
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t know they had cancelled Daredevil or were planning to Punisher.

Honestly I’m okay with it. It’s not such a bad thing that these things go out on a high note. I thought Dare Devil 3 was awesome as well. The way they did Bullseye was awesome.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #1017
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Alright so the wife wanted to go see a movie and Aquaman was the only option at the time we could do with our baby sitter, so we went.

The movie was... long. The action sequences were amazing, the scenes around Atlantis with the 80's style background music were so well done. The fight scenes were some of the best I have seen in comic book movies to date, and Mamoa is just Mamoa, an absolute beauty.

The movie itself was not good though. The story line was bad, the acting was horrible from about 90% of the cast. There was WAY to much crammed into the story. It felt rushed, but also felt like it dragged on. I enjoyed the special effects and am glad I saw it in the theater versus on my couch, but I did not enjoy the movie itself.

Had I been watching this movie at home, I might have shut it off. Huge swing and a miss for me.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #1018
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This is pure gold, sorry don't know how to embed:

https://www.cbr.com/muppet-movie-camera-test/
Old 01-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #1019
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

First look at Margot Robbie returning as Harley Quinn in Birds of Prey.

Spoiler!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #1020
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn now we got a little clip!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1089904870826610690