Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson, Rasmus 45 10.51%
Dube, Dillon 7 1.64%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 5 1.17%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 1 0.23%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.47%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 4 0.93%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 3 0.70%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 2 0.47%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 1 0.23%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 1 0.23%
Valimaki, Juuso 357 83.41%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #61
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He was ranked #7 last year. Have to think he'd be in the top five or potentially top three. Some people think he is a better prospect than Valamaki but I doubt he'd have been voted top spot.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #62
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Just curious because I know very little about Flames prospects, where would Fox have ranked on this list for some people?
Fox would be below Valimaki, Andersson, Parsons, Dube, Gillies and Mangiapane for me. In same tier as Kylington, Foo, ahead of Klimchuk, Phillips

So lower part of top 10 and close to Kylington as the 3 and 4 ranked defencemen on the list
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #63
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Just curious because I know very little about Flames prospects, where would Fox have ranked on this list for some people?
Who? I have no idea who you're on about.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #64
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
He was ranked #7 last year. Have to think he'd be in the top five or potentially top three. Some people think he is a better prospect than Valamaki but I doubt he'd have been voted top spot.
To me, Fox has a high ceiling, but may also not make the NHL as a regular. Kylington is in the same boat.
Valimaki and Andersson will be NHLers, and soon, yet neither gives much of a drop off to Fox in terms of ceiling. You could argue one/both may have a higher ceiling - up to your perspective

Fox may end up the best, but he is more of a risk.
But that is what makes these rankings so great - everyone has a slightly different methodology and how much emphasis they place on pure upside vs likelihood of having an NHL career (and the role they would have)

As to why such a highly rated prospect could be dealt, with the Flames having 2 strong prospects with high likelihood of NHL careers, and adding Hanifin under team control for 4 more years, that's 3 young guys before looking at Kulak (low ceiling, high floor) and Kylington (high ceiling, low floor). Even if one/both of Brodie and Hamonic leave via trade/UFA in the next couple of years, that is a pretty strong pipeline, which is what made Fox expendable.
And as for Fox vs Kylington, maybe it is better the boom/bust guy you control vs the one you risk losing? Both have that dynamic quality that teases upside, but both have barriers to being NHLers
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #65
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Eh, we'll see. Just a hunch. If I was writing up an actual ranking I'd put Valimaki first but this is more for fun so I'm gonna go more with gut instinct. I could be very wrong but everything I've seen from Klimchuk in the A suggests that he's what Dube could be in two or three years -- and some people think Dube will step right in this year.
I agree with much of what you have said about Klimchuk. He should have been on the Flames last season over at least a couple of vets. He lacks the high end upside but every time I see him I see an NHL player. The people that actually make the decisions obviously disagree though.

As for where I would rank him I'm not sure at this point. Not top tier but perhaps second.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #66
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for doing this Bingo, always interesting to see the results in hindsight. Great to see that Kulak was ranked 12th in 2016, and 11th in 2017 then exceeded expectations and went on to play 72 games with the big club last year.

I think this will be a big year for Andersson with Valimaki getting some games in as a call up.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #67
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Andersson, Valimaki so close. Neck and Neck for me. Went andersson because of a strong showing at NHL play. Believe Valimaki is Higher ceiling.

Possible future top pairing combo. Beautiful.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #68
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki is top dog for sure.

Size, skill, and skating. Resume looks good. Complete package. If there were a 5 tool rating system in hockey like in baseball, Valimaki would meet them all as a defensemen.

Only thing keeping Andersson below Valimaki is the skating issue. It sounds like it has progressed, but it's probably not on par with Valimaki's.

As for where Fox would be, he'd be 3rd or 4th ranked for me, behind the above two and on par with Kylington. Fox has the best resume of the 4 defensemen, but he is inferior to Valimaki in skating and size, inferior to Andersson in size, and inferior to Kylington in skating. Where you rank Fox depends on how much more weight you put on hockey sense (which Fox exudes) over size and skating.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #69
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Valimaki definitely a whole tier ahead of the rest for me. Has top pairing potential.

He’ll see some NHL time at some point this year.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #70
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think Valimaki's floor is trending to be top 4, and his ceiling is probably top pairing. Oodles of leadership and maturity out of him. 6 months ago, I didn't have him at #1, but I think it is difficult to make a case for anyone else ahead of this kid right now.
Interesting take. What have you read or seen in the last year that leads you to make those remarks for him about his leadership and maturity?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #71
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Who? I have no idea who you're on about.
Tom Fox.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #72
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki. Wasn’t really a hard decision either. That kid is good. I could see him beating out Andersson for a spot on D this year.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #73
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Interesting take. What have you read or seen in the last year that leads you to make those remarks for him about his leadership and maturity?
Captained Finland's World Junior team.
Over a point per game in junior this year.
Played big minutes and put up points in the playoffs for a team that out performed expectations.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #74
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My rankings

Last year's: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...7&postcount=77

1 Valimaki, He's done anything anyone could have asked of him this year. Played big minutes in the WHL and for the national team. He will be a good top 4 defenseman soon.
2 Mangiapane, he demolished the AHL this year and is a top 9 NHL forward as of today in my books, it's just a matter of if the Flames will actually use him properly. He should end up as a decent top 6 winger in his prime.
3 Kylington, he's only getting better as he grows older and gains more experience, he'll be on someone's middle pair for a long time.
4 Andersson, I am as high as most people are on Andersson, but I'm just higher on the three guys above him. He had a great year in Stockton and didn't look out of place in the NHL this year, but I think his mobility will hold him back from being a real threat from the back end long term.
5 Dube, A good year in junior and a solid WJC's makes me up my projection from bottom six to middle six. I don't think he has the upside that Mangiapane does but he should be a good contributor to an NHL team when he makes it.

I will be surprised if any of these 5 don't have a 200+ game NHL career.

6 Parsons, He had an off year in his first as a pro but the junior hype will not die for me yet. Hopefully he can sill be the future, this year will go a long way to seeing if the hopes should be pinned on him or if he will need more time.
7 Foo, He looked really good in late season NHL action, and his best qualities aren't ones that pop on the stat sheet, which is probably why I'm underrating him at 7. He battles hard but I don't know if he would make a team that didn't have the worst RW depth in the league. Still, he's the 3rd best forward prospect in the system, which sort of scares me.
8 Gillies, He had a solid year and holds his rank. Hopefully the Flames can get 30 starts between him and Rittich to keep Smith fresh this year.
9 Klimchuk, I don't really see a long term place for him in Calgary, but he had a decent year in Stockton and nobody is really making a case to jump ahead. Could be some solid depth this year.
10 Tuulola, He always looks great when wearing Flames colours, but his league play isn't anything to write home about. However, he will play NHL games at some point in the future and that's more confidence than I have in anyone left (aside from maybe Lomberg)
11 Phillips, The tiny puckwizard jumps way up from my rankings last year. He was great for the Royals and he makes you sit up in your seat when he gets going with the puck. Dogged forechecker will have a big transition to pro but he's got the skill to fit if he can make it.
12 Joly, Quietly had a great year in the Q, and I'm hopig he can get on Canada's radar with another strong season.
13 Pospisil, My favorite pick of the Flames' 2018 draft, Pospisil can beat you in many ways, with his hockey skill and great vision or with his aggressive stickwork and in your face play. People look at his PIM totals and see goon, but his scoring numbers are real solid in the USHL. It will be interesting to see how he transitions to the NCAA game.
14 Gawdin, I like his play in SC but his numbers are a little inflated due to playing with Heponiemi. Still, there's plenty of development room in Stockton for a guy like him.
15 Shinkaruk, His career has gone straight backwards since he was acquired by the Flames but he's got enough skill to make it, probably for another team though.
16 Pettersson, The Youtube sensation who's been a long time Flames fan is my favorite depth prospect in the org. I'm hoping for a big year from him. He was excellent at the dev camp scrimmage and could find himself in the top 10 pretty easily next season.
17 Ruzicka, He's got talent and had a good season in the OHL, but the attitude questions are going to be there until he proves they shouldn't be. Still, I can't ignore the talent and production.
18 Zavgorodniy, A great pick in the 7th round, the Russian will hopefully stay in NA unlike the last few. He's not quite the same level of player Phillips was at the same age but he's a little taller and a lot thicker. Plus he's going to be playing his junior career alongside 2020 1OA Lafreniere if nothing changes so he should develop well.
19 Roman, I watched a few Giants games this season and Roman never stood out, but he seems like a solid guy and at the very worst, he's a better bet than everyone left on the list.

Everyone past this point would be someone that would seriously surprise me if they were to play more than 200 NHL games

20 Rafikov, The best of the question marks, he could probably come over and play big minutes in the A or even be pressbox fodder but why would you do that when you're making a decent living in the KHL?
21 Koumontzis, He may have some good qualities but he's got an awful hockey name, I wish the best for him though.
22 Healey, There will always be a place for a guy who is physical at every opportunity. Sadly you still have to be able to play good hockey when you're not wrecking guys, and Healey doesn't seem to be on track to do so. Maybe some big minutes in Stockton this year will help.
23 Fischer, Still baffled by this pick, but knowing the Flames he'll probably suit up at least once. Should be entertaining to watch in the AHL this year at least.
24 Sveningsson, I want to like him but he just seems like a guy to me. He did have a great season in SuperElit this year but usually future NHLers are making at least some impact in the SHL by now.
25 Karnaukhov, He'll probably be a better player than Sveningsson but his development seems to be flatlining already, plus he's in Russia. Biggest dropper for me this year.
26 Lindstrom, He will have a long career in Sweden but he doesn't have the offensive touch to make the NHL. He is marvelous to watch defensively, very poised, but that doesn't get you an NHL deal.
27 Ehliz, Hopefully the German can make an impact but I'm not expecting anything more than AHL depth with what I've seen out of him so far.
28 Pollock, The most frustrating prospect in the Flames system, Pollock is like a worse Colborne. I do forget how young he is, but for every time he displays his tremendous hands, puck control and vision, especially for a big guy, he goes and does something equally stupid the same shift. Good Pollock is really good, but bad Pollock happens way too often.
29 McDonald, goalies are voodoo but it will take a miracle for McDonald to get on an NHL track within the Flames org. Too much competition and not enough development spots to spend one on him.
30 Schneider, He faces many of the same problems as McDonald, but lacks the pedigree and any real history of great performance.
31 Mattson, As much as I shake my head at the Fischer pick, this one was worse. How did Craig Button have this guy in his top 50?

Last edited by bigrangy; 07-09-2018 at 02:28 PM.
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigrangy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #75
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I voted for Foo, but only because I think he's the most likely to crack the opening day lineup out of everyone on that list.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #76
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably around 5th for me if I didn't have to worry about him signing or not. Lower if I was still worried about him signing.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #77
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Wow, only 1.5% voted for Dube.

He is criminally underrated by fans.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #78
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

Dube is a top five prospect. It will be very interesting to read the debates between choosing Foo, Mangiapane, and Dube. Andersson and Valimaki are a clear 1-2 in terms of current ability and upside. After that those forward will get more attention.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #79
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The only thing that stat says about fans' rating of Dube is that Valimaki is rated ahead of him.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #80
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is he criminally underrated or is Valimaki just that well received by fans?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote