Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon35 Isles sign KHL star Jan Kovar (1yr, $2mil)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016341821016936448

Obviously could get some good ice time with the hole Tavares left.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to think they won't get even 10k most nights to watch this team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 35 points in 54 games this past season. What happened?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Only 35 points in 54 games this past season. What happened?
One theory is that Danis Zaripov was the one that stirred the drink in Magnitogorsk and that his departure is why there is a sharp decline.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
One theory is that Danis Zaripov was the one that stirred the drink in Magnitogorsk and that his departure is why there is a sharp decline.
wow Chris Lee also had 65 points in 60 games last year
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nigel Dawes lead the league in goals and in point-per-game last year with 56 in 46 (1.21). Dawes had 35 goals, third place only had 22 goals. Kovalchuk, the league leader in points, had 63 in 53 (1.19). It's a wacky league.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Nigel Dawes lead the league in goals and in point-per-game last year with 56 in 46 (1.21). Dawes had 35 goals, third place only had 22 goals. Kovalchuk, the league leader in points, had 63 in 53 (1.19). It's a wacky league.
How would guys like Nigel Dawes and Dustin Boyd have faired in today's NHL? Enough speed/skill to succeed despite lack of height/size?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Dawes wasn't even that fast though, was he? I mean, it's been eight years now since he played here so I can't imagine that's changed. He kinda reminded me of post-apex Jiri Hudler... still okay offensively, but too small and slow to be a real solution.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about Boyd, but I think Dawes could have. Boyd just never impressed me while I felt Dawes was close.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
How would guys like Nigel Dawes and Dustin Boyd have faired in today's NHL? Enough speed/skill to succeed despite lack of height/size?
I was going to give you a lot more crap but then looked and realized that Dawes last played in the NHL in the 2010-2011 season, a lot longer ago than I thought. Jeeze time goes fast.

Still, he was playing in 2011. 5'10'', 180 pound Jeff Skinner was the Calder winner that year. Do you really think 2011 isn't "today's NHL"?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
wow Chris Lee also had 65 points in 60 games last year
Wow, never drafted either. Decent career for himself though.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was going to give you a lot more crap but then looked and realized that Dawes last played in the NHL in the 2010-2011 season, a lot longer ago than I thought. Jeeze time goes fast.

Still, he was playing in 2011. 5'10'', 180 pound Jeff Skinner was the Calder winner that year. Do you really think 2011 isn't "today's NHL"?

The league has changed a lot since 2010.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #13
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should do a what-if thread of how many points McDavid would score in the the 2010 decade - errh wait.

I mean could an elite player from 2011 like Crosby even keep up in today's NHL? And with the goalies so much better would Ovechkin be able to score 30 goals?

No, the league has not changed at all significantly since 2011, not enough that we need to have a discussion if a fringe-NHL player then would be anything but a fringe-NHL player now. Come on now.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We should do a what-if thread of how many points McDavid would score in the the 2010 decade - errh wait.

I mean could an elite player from 2011 like Crosby even keep up in today's NHL? And with the goalies so much better would Ovechkin be able to score 30 goals?

No, the league has not changed at all significantly since 2011, not enough that we need to have a discussion if a fringe-NHL player then would be anything but a fringe-NHL player now. Come on now.
You're right -- I'm not talking about McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin. Because I don't think there is much debate that they would have excelled in any era .

The point is that smaller players are given a lot more opportunity these days, and the days of prioritizing size over speed is quickly fading away. But if you don't think the NHL has changed since 2011, I won't try to convince you otherwise...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #15
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to imagine this off-season going any worse for the Islanders. That 4 year contract to the fighter today was another cherry on top.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The point is that smaller players are given a lot more opportunity these days, and the days of prioritizing size over speed is quickly fading away. But if you don't think the NHL has changed since 2011, I won't try to convince you otherwise...
We talking about the same 2011 that Martin St. Louis placed second in the Art Ross race?

The same 2011 that Jeff Skinner won the Calder?

The same 2011 where Patrick Kane was arguably the most important player on the Stanley Cup winning team the year prior?

The same 2011 where 185 pound Krejci lead the league in playoff scoring?

The same 2011 where the Flames drafted a 5'6'' player in the draft?

The same 2011 where Lidstrom won his seventh Norris due to his smooth skating and talent?

Don't get the NHL and Darryl Sutter confused. The Flames may have had a hard time adapting but the rest of the league didn't.

2005 had a huge shift in the thought process of the GMs due to the new obstruction rules. By 2011 every team was emphasizing speed and skill over pure size, just as they are today.

Hell, the best defender on the Stanley Cup winning team that year was given up by his team in 2006 because they thought he was too slow to be a franchise cornerstone player. Despite being 6'9''.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #17
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest change isn’t at the top half of the roster though - super skilled guys that were top line talent like Skinner and St Louis always got their shot.

Biggest change is getting rid of veterans, size, and grit on the 3rd and 4th lines and more teams having more space for young talent and smaller guys on those lines.

That would be the thing now for guys like Boyd and Dawes. Back in 2011 it was more top 6 or bust where as now teams are more willing to have guys like that in their bottom 6.

The New York Islanders and their two lines of 4th line veteran grit notwithstanding. No thread on it but they gave a goon with 3 career NHL goals a 4 year contract - has to be the first non-ELC contract where term was longer than career goals for a forward.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #18
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually looked into the number of small forwards and defence(equal or less than 5'10") in the league in 2003/04 vs 2017/18 and I found the numbers weren't that different.

03/04- Forwards who scored 10+ points- 50
17-18- 48

03/04- Defence that scored 10+ points- 8
17-18- 12

Flat for forwards. Slight uptick for D-men, but the amount of smaller defencemen in 2010/2011 was the same at 12.

I mean everyone is talking about the game being friendlier to smaller players now, but it seems its just that. Talk.

I think the number of small players getting drafted higher has probably changed substantially, but after draft day I think the league has been pretty fair for quite a long time.

If you can play you will make it.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #19
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That would be the thing now for guys like Boyd and Dawes. Back in 2011 it was more top 6 or bust where as now teams are more willing to have guys like that in their bottom 6.
What do you mean guys like Boyd and Dawes? Fringe NHL players? Because you can't mean small players. Boyd was 6'0''.

Ironically, he was one of the bigger forwards on his last NHL team. Towering over the likes of Gomez, Plekanec, Cammelleri, Gionta, Desharnais and Dawes...

When Dawes played for the Flames, the two teams that met in the Stanley Cup, Hawks and Flyers, had many players in the middle six who were not 6'00+ or 200 pounds+.