Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #4601
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The interesting thing about TC's position is the suggestion that there is a lack of evidence to suggest Sigalet should go. Frankly, there is a lack of evidence to suggest that Sigalet should stay. He has absolutely zero track record of success as an NHL goaltending coach.

So my question is, why is he even still here? How does a guy who has done F all at the NHL level survive three head coaches?
His assertion is that it is impossible to apportion any of any particular's goalie's performance to Sigalet.

As well, it is impossible to apportion any of any particular's goalie's performance to the goaltender themselves.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #4602
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
His assertion is that it is impossible to apportion any of any particular's goalie's performance to Sigalet.

As well, it is impossible to apportion any of any particular's goalie's performance to the goaltender themselves.
In other words, it's nobody's fault, and it's everybody's fault.

The thing is, it's a big problem (we're approaching historically bad numbers), and the Flames have to try something. It's extremely unlikely that the Flames will be able to trade for a starting-calibre goaltender mid-season, and there's been no evidence in three different coaching regimens to suggest that Sigalet can turn any goaltender who's not already an established (and young) starter into anything resembling one (with all due respect to Rittich, for whom I would say the jury is still out at this point). So the only thing that can likely be done in-season to address the elephant in the room is to find a replacement for the one individual who has been a common element in the entire debacle. Whether this will help is uncertain, but it's hard to imagine that it would make the problem any worse than it already is.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #4603
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goalie Thread Ladies and Gentlemen

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...170607&page=31
Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #4604
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I don't need to justify my conviction that I believe Sigalet should be fired. You need to justify why you're continually defensive of anything Flames and going after those that are critical of certain things.
If that were what Textcritic was actually doing, he would need to justify it. What he's saying is that a true evaluation of Sigalet's performance requires inside information which we haven't got, and in the absence of that information it's silly to get massively worked up about it. Which is right on the nose.

Incidentally—

One thing I see repeatedly offered as a criticism of Sigalet is that he never played in the NHL. I would be interested to see any valid argument why one has to be a former NHL player to be any good as an NHL coach. Bonus points to those who can explain why (just for example) Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock, Ken Hitchcock, and Francois Allaire were bad coaches. Extra bonus to those who think they can persuade Brad Treliving and Bill Peters that they are unqualified for their current jobs because they never played in the NHL.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #4605
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I don't agree with everything you're saying, but you do make a very good point.

Remember when people were saying Gulutzan is a terrible coach because he he looked at the iPad after goals against? These types of things aren't cut and paste.
Yeah it’s not necessarily the conclusion that’s off, it’s the supporting “evidence.”
Old 11-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #4606
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Honestly someone start a Sigalet thread already.

I want to complain about Smith and dream of trading him because I think he’s a terrible goalie.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #4607
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
But you are doing the same by referring to tc’s opinin as blind defending
Both sides are guilty of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #4608
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The interesting thing about TC's position is the suggestion that there is a lack of evidence to suggest Sigalet should go. Frankly, there is a lack of evidence to suggest that Sigalet should stay...
Wrong. My position has always been and remains that there is practically no useful evidence either way. Any strong argument from the outside as to why Sigalet should be fired or retained are not especially convincing given the position that fans are in. My objections within this discussion have been with all STRONG POSITIONS on the matter. I have yet to see any strong endorsements for Sigalet’s job performance, so I suspect that my argument against the several strong detractions is being misconstrued as a vote of confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-09-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #4609
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Wrong. My position has always been and remains that there is practically no useful evidence either way. Any strong argument from the outside as to why Sigalet should be fired or retained are not especially convincing given the position that fans are in. My objections within this discussion have been with all STRONG POSITIONS on the matter. I have yet to see any strong endorsements for Sigalet’s job performance, so I suspect that my argument against the several strong detractions is being misconstrued as a vote of confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But as I already mentioned and has been mentioned in the past and will be mentioned in the future undoubtedly- is this is a fan based message board.

If you give no validation to any opinions here (unless they’re strictly positive of course!) then why come here? Why read opinion? Why bother!

None of us know, ever.

Anyone who ever criticized the Flames are always met with the same typecast (lazy actually) response.

. “Well you don’t really know you aren’t in the room”

“Well you don’t really know you’re not an expert”

“Well you don’t really know.. because X, Y, Z”

Ya. Exactly. That’s why this is a message board. I don’t claim to actually know. Nor does anyone else. I work a job have 3 kids and not a lot of time to build graphs spreadsheets and in depth analysis! But what I do have are experience watching millions of hours of hockey, playing the game, understanding the game (I think at least) and using my eyeballs.

Guess that’s all invalid UNLESS it’s strictly positive in opinion? And if that’s true why are you here? You don’t learn anything. You don’t challenge your belief system, what’s the point of all of this that you frequent so much?

You think it’s unfair to have strong opinions about a coach that literally has had next to no success in the position he coaches over the last several years?!? You think it’s offside to question that????? Seriously?

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 11-09-2018 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #4610
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It seems like people are using Gully’s firing to justify having not well backed up views on a go forward basis. We were right about Gully so now we surely must be right about Sigalet
Perhaps an over simplification but isn’t that kinda what’s going on here?
Yeah like I get that my “unscientific” analysis isn’t good enough for some of you but the thing I have going for me is I’ve been right actually more often then not.

2 years before Iginla was traded I was harping on the laziness etc. And people were all over me. He needed to go earlier and we would have gotten a much, much better return rather than a pending UFA at the deadline of a guy that was 2 years older than he shoulda been when the writing was on the wall.

Last Christmas I said Gulutzan needs to be canned. I was right. Would have proved up a coach on second half of the year plus would have let us see what we had in the players. I actually think Treliving would agree he just knew he wanted Peters and saw the writing on the wall there and knew it was wiser just to wait for him. Nonetheless Gulutzan shoulda been fired or could have been fired at Christmas 2017 yet all winter we came on here and read about people defending coaching just because it was the Flames, basically, from what I can tell.

I am not Nostradamus and I am not even that smart actually but I do start to see things for what they are sometimes and try to be objective. Because that doesn’t involve excel model building and advanced stats and whatever I mean honestly you can discount my opinion all you want, but the truth is my track record seems not too shabby!

Now my honest opinion is not to immediately jettison Sigalet. But I do wonder what value he adds and I do think it’s high time he starts being seriously evaluated and questioned given HIS track record of terribleness.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #4611
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know what Sigalet does every day, but position coach in the NHL is a weird thing.

Would a pitching coach survive multiple managers and year after year of bad pitching on an MLB team? Nope.

Would a special teams coach survive multiple head coaches and year after year of bad special teams in the NFL? Nope.

Sometimes teams make changes to see if a different voice can get more out of the players being coached. It does seem a little odd that Flames haven’t done that. Even the best coaches aren’t always successful and get replaced.

I’m sure there’s some kind of reason he’s still here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #4612
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yeah like I get that my “unscientific” analysis isn’t good enough for some of you but the thing I have going for me is I’ve been right actually more often then not.

2 years before Iginla was traded I was harping on the laziness etc. And people were all over me. He needed to go earlier and we would have gotten a much, much better return rather than a pending UFA at the deadline of a guy that was 2 years older than he shoulda been when the writing was on the wall.

Last Christmas I said Gulutzan needs to be canned. I was right. Would have proved up a coach on second half of the year plus would have let us see what we had in the players. I actually think Treliving would agree he just knew he wanted Peters and saw the writing on the wall there and knew it was wiser just to wait for him. Nonetheless Gulutzan shoulda been fired or could have been fired at Christmas 2017 yet all winter we came on here and read about people defending coaching just because it was the Flames, basically, from what I can tell.

I am not Nostradamus and I am not even that smart actually but I do start to see things for what they are sometimes and try to be objective. Because that doesn’t involve excel model building and advanced stats and whatever I mean honestly you can discount my opinion all you want, but the truth is my track record seems not too shabby!

Now my honest opinion is not to immediately jettison Sigalet. But I do wonder what value he adds and I do think it’s high time he starts being seriously evaluated and questioned given HIS track record of terribleness.
So after all that, your conclusion is Sigalet should be evaluated? That’s stepping out on a limb... 😉
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #4613
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Is this the trade speculation thread or the goalie coach thread?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #4614
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Is this the trade speculation thread or the goalie coach thread?
Singalet should be traded thread.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #4615
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I come here for Nylander for Brodie trade proposals.

Come on CP ! Get it together!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #4616
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Could we trade Smith and Sigalet as a package for a respectable backup?
Old 11-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #4617
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Could we trade Smith and Sigalet as a package for a respectable backup?
I feel like you guys could get a decent backup on waivers soon. Carolina has 3 on their roster so one should be available.

Then you package Smith off to a tanking team who will be fine with him stinking up the joint. Won't get anything back for him obviously but I think Smith is done in the NHL.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #4618
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I feel like you guys could get a decent backup on waivers soon. Carolina has 3 on their roster so one should be available.

Then you package Smith off to a tanking team who will be fine with him stinking up the joint. Won't get anything back for him obviously but I think Smith is done in the NHL.
Won't get anything back? At this point, we'd have to throw in a first rounder just to get another team to take him!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #4619
Calgary_81
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would anyone be down to get Goalie Varmolov from COL?

He is on a 5-game losing streak. With COL giving up 2nd rounder for G Grauber... Maybe now GMBT can "rent" Varmolov this season, since his stock is low. Would COL even trade Varmolov to a Conference rival?

What would the trade even begin to look like ? Bring in a 3rd team in the mix?

Hmmm
-COL trades G Varmolov to CBJ for Brobvosky
-CBJ then flips Varmolov to the Flames for Smith/Lazer/Stone/4th Round could turn into a Conditional 3rd in 2020
-Flames send a 2019 5th rder and 2021 6th rder to COL?
- COL sends CGY a 2021 7th rder

Cmon GMBT - you overdue for a blockbuster goalie trade!

Last edited by Calgary_81; 11-09-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #4620
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

OK, time out, hold on. Let me get this straight.

Calgary receives Semyon Varlamov and a 2021 7th (???)

Colorado receives Sergei Bobrovsky, a 2019 5th, and a 2020 6th

Columbus receives... Mike Smith OR Curtis Lazar OR Michael Stone OR a conditional 2020 3rd (???)

Why on earth does Columbus do this??? Why does Colorado receive both the better picks and the better goalie than those that Calgary receives?

All I can say is... what the hell?

Closed Thread