Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #421
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Has anyone seen the movie Krull? It looks super weird but I'm curious. I see Sunrise has a special VHS looking cover for it and it came out today wondering if its worth to pick up or not.

Krull was just fricken weird. And yeah Liam was in it. The thing that shocked me was that years later watching Deep Space 9 one of the villains was a turn coat Star Fleet officer that was played by Ken Marshall who played the main character in Krull. Remember people to value you're mullets because they don't last forever

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #422
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I watched On the Basis of Sex yesterday. My short review? Meh.

Ok, so if you could pack all cliché cheesy film moments into one movie, this might be close to that. Pretty poor editing and directing all around. They even threw in an awkward love making scene at the beginning to really throw you off.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some good moments that will make you stand up and take notice, but they are few and far between. It's a wildly uneven movie with some very bland performances. Justin Theroux is the only notably good performance, and even then he's a bit ridiculous. I'm not a Felicity Jones fan, and this made me even less of a fan. Nothing horrible, but brings nothing special to the role other than she looks vaguely like a prettier version of a young RBG.

Quite frankly, I think there are better documentaries on Ruth Bader-Ginsberg that would be far more entertaining than this schlocky biopic that only covers a small portion of her life. I'd pass unless you're really into RBG, and even then, think twice.

4/10.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #423
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

YPF which stands for Young People F555555

Synopsis

Quote:
On a Tuesday night, five couples have separate sexual adventures. Matt and Kris, friends for years, want to have an only-once, no-strings good time. Abby and Andrew, married, celebrate his birthday, but it's marred by angst and miscommunication. Mia and Eric are exes, making sure they are over each other. Jaime and Ken work together and this is a first date. Inez and Gord invite his roommate, Dave, to join them. By the time each couple has gone through a prelude, foreplay, sex, an interlude, orgasm, and afterglow, they've answered basic questions: can sex be anonymous, are we bored, is our marriage really finished, does anyone tell the truth, and how do we make someone happy?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #424
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shyamalan botched it What a crying shame.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #425
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
YPF which stands for Young People F555555

Synopsis
YPF is an excellent movie and Carly Pope is a goddesss.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #426
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Comments on some movies I've watched recently.

The China Hustle

A documentary about the Chinese RTO invesment frauds during the early 2010's. The story is told from the POV of several short sellers so the structure and outcome of the story will likely already be familiar to anyone who has seen The Big Short or episode 3 of Dirty Money, even to those who have never heard of these scams. I like how the movie was not afraid to name the institutions and individual Americans (including a former Presidential candidate) who, if not considered the actual perpetrators of the fraud, should certainly be considered accomplices.

Fyre

The subject matter itself is pretty compelling as it made festival organizers appear like they were frogs in a pot of water that was gradually getting hotter. The documentary itself is certainly well made but was surprisingly run-of-the-mill in terms of its style considering it was made by Chris Smith. Maybe Smith could have done more if he was able to interview McFarland (although I certainly agree with Smith's stance of not wanting to pay McFarland to appear on camera) or Ja Rule and got a chance to play off of those larger-than-life personalities like he did with Mark Borchardt or Michael Ruppert.

Sicario: The Day of the Soldado

Finally caught up with this one. Pretty entertaining movie and my wife and I were never bored but certainly a disappointment compared to the first Sicario. I don't necessarily think the problem was the absence of Villenueve. I think the problem was with the screenplay. The genius plot device of the first film was the unexpected shifting POV, which is missing from the sequel. In the first movie, the audience was thrown into the middle of this drug war and we were trying to understand what was happening onscreen from the POV of the straightlaced, by-the-book Kate Macer character. And as the audience became to gradually understand the level of corruption involved in fighting this war, the POV of the movie also began shifting from Macer to Alejandro. Yes, multiple perspectives have been used in movies before but the audience does not expect the protagonist to get squeezed out entirely from the movie, especially when she is played by a big movie star. In that sense, the first Sicario reminded me of Psycho or Dressed to Kill. So when this sequel is told almost exclusively from the POV of Alejandro, it is just as interesting as the sequel to Psycho which was told solely from the POV of Norman Bates.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Terrific and snappy and witty first hour. This is a movie I would have loved during my comic collecting days as a kid. I did find the last 30 minutes or so to be a bit of drag. In that final showdown with the Kingpin, I felt nobody's fate was in question and nothing was on the line. The movie was just running out the clock and the psychedelic swirling colours became annoying. Still, my wife and I are looking forward to showing this movie to our kids when they become a bit older.

Roma

Gorgeous and moving film. Roma easily ascends to the top of my list as my favourite film of 2018. This is Cuaron's masterpiece and it feels like everything he has done previously has led to this movie. There are a couple of long, perfectly-choreographed tracking long-takes of crowded urban streets that are so fun to watch, and certainly reminiscent of some of his scenes from Children of Men. And the framing of the narrative as nostalgic memories from the auteur reminded me of Y Tu Mama Tambien but Cuaron has clearly gained so much confidence formalistically since then, and doesn't rely on the voiceover narration used in the earlier film. I saw this movie a couple days after the Spider-Verse and unlike that movie, when the climax arrives, you know that absolutely everything is on the line.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 PM   #427
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I liked Glass quite a bit. Wasn't nearly as bad as the RT score may suggest. Although it also appears to be very divisive as 3 people in my group liked it and one didn't, and those in the theatre sounded pretty Split on it, pun intended.

McAvoy and Jackson are such a treat to watch.

Now, I will say it had pacing issues, but the first couple acts I thought were excellent and the Shamyalanian "reveal" for once I felt added to the movie instead of detracting from it (e.g The Village).
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #428
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I liked Glass quite a bit. Wasn't nearly as bad as the RT score may suggest. Although it also appears to be very divisive as 3 people in my group liked it and one didn't, and those in the theatre sounded pretty Split on it, pun intended.

Now, I will say it had pacing issues, but the first couple acts I thought were excellent and the Shamyalanian "reveal" for once I felt added to the movie instead of detracting from it (e.g The Village).
Also really liked it. Very entertaining overall. If you're a fan of the first two it's great.

As for pacing

Spoiler!

As for RT, I've just given up on them. For sci-fi stuff there are a few YouTubers I'll trust. RT is garbage though.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #429
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Venom was dumb. I did not enjoy that
Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #430
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Movie 43 is a comedy classic.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #431
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Went to see this last night, and I too enjoyed it quite a bit. It's pretty tough to top Unbreakable, which in my opinion is one of the greatest comic book/super hero origin stories ever. But I thought Glass was thoroughly entertaining and a pretty solid conclusion to the story. And I agree, McAvoy and Jackson definitely stole the show.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #432
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sorry, I gotta change my top 10 12 for 2018 haha. Taking 2 out and adding 4. Again, in no particular order:

First Reformed
Free Solo
The Favourite
First Man
Roma
Annihilation
Cold War
Shoplifters
A Star is Born
Mission: Impossible - Fallout

If Beale Street Could Talk
Burning
You Were Never Really Here
Blindspotting

I just watched Blindspotting. In my opinion, Daveed Diggs rivals Ethan Hawke for male performance of the year. You can probably give him best original screenplay as well. It is the most relevant and powerful film of 2018. Please watch, highly recommended.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #433
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hereditary is a masterpiece of the horror genre and Toni Collette was robbed of an Oscar nomination. I'm so pissed off at myself for not seeing this one in the theatre.

This movie felt like it could really happen as far as the bits about grief, mental illness and family dysfunction. It was very uncomfortable and unsettling, but then you add in the supernatural elements and it keeps you guessing what in the hell is actually going on right until the final minutes.

So well crafted. Beautifully shot, excellent score. It should have received award recognition. This is why I hate the Oscars for their snobbery and political bull####.

Last edited by icecube; 01-27-2019 at 09:05 AM.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #434
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For weekly film reviews I've come to trust YouTuber Chris Stuckman. Going off memory he has yet to let me down and he's always very sharp and thoughtful in his analysis of what makes movies work or what didn't work. He's better than any critic since Roger Ebert, and in my humble opinion he's even better because he takes himself less seriously.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #435
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mid90s was pretty good. Loved the soundtrack, loved the score, loved the Larry Clark 16mm vibe (obviously the main influence for this film). The story is very low concept and simple, but a lot of people will relate to the coming of age themes and story beats. It's a pleasure sometimes to just enjoy a swift 80ish minute run time.

Have fun reminiscing about being an unsheltered adolescent moving into your teens and experimenting with all the fun things at that age and friends becoming your life. Anyone who misses the 90s or young people who want to see what it might have been like should check it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #436
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Hereditary is a masterpiece of the horror genre and Toni Collette was robbed of an Oscar nomination. I'm so pissed off at myself for not seeing this one in the theatre.

This movie felt like it could really happen as far as the bits about grief, mental illness and family dysfunction. It was very uncomfortable and unsettling, but then you add in the supernatural elements and it keeps you guessing what in the hell is actually going on right until the final minutes.

So well crafted. Beautifully shot, excellent score. It should have received award recognition. This is why I hate the Oscars for their snobbery and political bull####.
You can argue it's as good or better than some of the best picture nominees. It seems that horror movies are just a hard sell for the academy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #437
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Movie 43 is a comedy classic.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched Tag last night, I really liked the movie for two reasons. Renner showed some great comedy chops. Isla Fisher is so much fun in comedy roles.

I loved the video at the end showing the actual friends playing the game.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-27-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #439
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You can argue it's as good or better than some of the best picture nominees. It seems that horror movies are just a hard sell for the academy.
Maybe a hard sell, but not impossible. Get Out was just nominated for best picture and many other awards just recently.

The problem is that horror films follow formulas and have consistent tropes throughout almost all of them. If any horror film says something unique and new, it gets consideration. It's rare.

I haven't seen the film you're talking about, and I'm sure it's a good film, but you do have to be very unique to get consideration as a horror film.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #440
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Maybe a hard sell, but not impossible. Get Out was just nominated for best picture and many other awards just recently.

The problem is that horror films follow formulas and have consistent tropes throughout almost all of them. If any horror film says something unique and new, it gets consideration. It's rare.

I haven't seen the film you're talking about, and I'm sure it's a good film, but you do have to be very unique to get consideration as a horror film.
Every single genre has their own tropes and formulas and almost every single movie, sans avant garde films have to stick to their respective familiar beats even if it's a blend of genres. Horror might just be more guilty of sticking to the over-formulaic, but I don't know? There's a lot of forgettable trash in every genre.

The movies that stand out as great in any genre still follow a formula to some degree, but they hide their cards well and have their own spin or twist on things.

Hereditary is definitely unique and every bit as good as Get Out. It will stand the test of time as a classic of the genre and people will say the Academy blew it, when half the films nominated are forgotten in five years.

Last edited by icecube; 01-27-2019 at 10:44 AM.