Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 AM   #221
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Glad that fits your Narrative.

Or you could just go with the 4-1-0 .927 2.24 Stat line that he has. But that wouldn't fit your narrative.
Just balancing out the narrative from some that think Smith and his slump means he's done as an NHL calibre goalie, or, moreso to that particular poster I responded to, that Rittich is the answer to all the goaltending problems if he's just given a chance.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #222
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Well,it was also because Lack behind the scenes was taking a piss poor, it’s not my fault attitude in the locker room that got Peters steamed. Lack did the same thing here when he felt he wasn’t being respected, and quietly got the boot, and I am almost certain that is not the attitude Smith has, even if Peters wanted to repeat his tirade.

As mentioned, Smith is two starts removed from more or less a shutout. Remove that from his resume, as well as his shutout this year then, if you’re going to ignore the Rittich stats?
Well actually I don't know if you frequent CofReddit much but there is a poster who is widely regarded as a Flames insider as he has broke a number of moves before anyone reported on them...

Anyways he just posted that Neal and Smith got into an argument again as Smith was complaining about poor defensive play and Neal fired back to Smith to make a save.

I know this is all heresay but just thought I would share it.

Not saying it true or not just letting y'all know.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #223
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

We did play well enough to win this game. During the lenghty winning streaks of past seasons there's been exactly these games where the pucks just don't go in, but then the goalie manages to keep it to one or two goals against. Right now Mike Smith can't seem to get past 0.900 even if his life depended on it, which makes it virtually impossible to win low scoring one goal games. It sucks, but still you can't win them all. We should have had this game as we far and away outplayed the ducks for the majority of the game, but didn't. The comeback attempt during the last 5 mins were also pretty sloppy and weak. Let's stick it to LA next game instead.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #224
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Pat Steinberg is spot on tonight.
Making be feel a little less upset.
Yeah, like his comment about dressing Peluso. Flames still got pushed around and Gaudreau got slashed, so where is the deterrent factor putting him in the line up?
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #225
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Pat Steinberg is spot on tonight.
Making be feel a little less upset.
What did he say? I can't listen right now
Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #226
Breakfast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Well actually I don't know if you frequent CofReddit much but there is a poster who is widely regarded as a Flames insider as he has broke a number of moves before anyone reported on them...

Anyways he just posted that Neal and Smith got into an argument again as Smith was complaining about poor defensive play and Neal fired back to Smith to make a save.

He said that after tonight’s game? He’s gotta be an equipment guy or something....
Old 11-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #227
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Great news if true! Neal is awesome for this locker room and smith has always blamed the team. Never takes responsibility

Gotta believe the boys hate seeing their “starter” sieve out every start
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #228
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast View Post
I don’t really get your point. Are you saying Smith is better than his numbers suggest? At the same time saying Rittich is worse than his numbers suggest?

Rittich has been far, far better. In sv%, in games that he’s started, heck, he even looked better than Smith in the Pitt blowout, if you want to include wacky sample sizes.
I'm saying Rittich is no better or worse then Smith at his point. He looked no more confident Saturday then Smith did tonight.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #229
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I was coach/management and Smith actually brought up poor defensive play tonight, his bags would be packed come morning.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #230
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Considering how deflating both the first and the third goals were, it wouldn't surprise me if the players are frustrated that they can't ever hope to get bailed out by their goalie when it really matters. That is exactly the Hiller situation, where players just stopped trusting him to make any kind of save all together. Certainly not a good feeling.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #231
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plain answer. The answer to the Flames goaltending rests outside of the organization.

That's where my mind has settled. We need two years of a bonafide #1 at minimum. We have something here being wasted with what we have right now.

If some want to believe Smiths in a slump and he'll break out before the season is shot, cool. If some people want to believe that rittich is ready to carry the mail and save the season by being the answer internally, thats cool too.

I just do not see how either is in the cards.

I don't know who is out there that can provide what we need. I cannot even venture a guess as to what Treliving is drumming up. But I do believe we don't have what we need right now and for the immediate future. The long game at least we still have time to see what we got in Gillies and Parsons.

Thinking about this more. This is very similar to Hiller/Ramo. Give Ramo more starts! says one side. Ramos no better! says the other. End of the day, neither play in the NHL.

Last edited by dammage79; 11-08-2018 at 12:12 AM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #232
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast View Post
He said that after tonight’s game? He’s gotta be an equipment guy or something....
Yea he just posted it..

Possibly.. he's really interactive with other posters as many try and get his source out of him. He never reveals it but he will always respond to a question or comment he can answer.

He must know someone close to the team or he himself be that guy.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #233
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Brownas numbers are incorrect anyway. In Rittich last 3 games he's played in, including the Pittsburgh game he is still .881 or something. Not spectacular but not .857 which sounded wrong to me.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #234
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm saying Rittich is no better or worse then Smith at this point. He looked no more confident saturday then Smith did tonight.
That's BS.

Last edited by Karl; 11-08-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #235
Breakfast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I'm saying Rittich is no better or worse then Smith at his point. He looked no more confident Saturday then Smith did tonight.
I mean, the stats disagree, but I hope Smith figures it out. I just don’t think feeding him starts until that happens is a good move for the team.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #236
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

do people not realize that smith has the lowest save percentage in the league? rittich can't feasibly be worse than him and they have to start him more to know what they have in him anyway before making more moves if necessary
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 AM   #237
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
If I was coach/management and Smith actually brought up poor defensive play tonight, his bags would be packed come morning.
The Flames have had some poor breakdowns in games this season but tonight Smith was pretty sheltered in terms of quantity of chances and had only a small handful of high danger chances to deal with.

The team in front of him gave a fine effort, had the ducks on their heels for at least half the game.

Can't help but feel that Smith should have been able to save at least one if not both of those first period goals. The five hole shot from far out comes to mind. Not exactly high danger, just a guy coming down the wing getting a shot on. That happens a lot in games. You didn't make that save.

Don't point at the defence.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #238
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
do people not realize that smith has the lowest save percentage in the league? rittich can't feasibly be worse than him and they have to start him more to know what they have in him anyway before making more moves if necessary
We have a back up goalie with no starter. This really is Hiller/Ramo 2.0.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #239
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I don't believe we are the only team who can't find a goalie after this many years. Hiller, Elliot and Smith although on the back 9 were all no doubt starting goalies when the arrive in Calgary.
Beyond just the goalie coach, is there any other role who works mostly with the goalies on a regular basis?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:16 AM   #240
direwolf
Franchise Player