Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #2181
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Too early to put on winter tires? I usually do both vehicles around early/mid November but people seem to say earlier is better? Thoughts?

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Totally depends on the year, and vehicle needs for me. Since it doesn't take long, I wait until I need the vehicle, and I see snow coinciding. If it's the first week of November, I do it anyway.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 09:53 PM   #2182
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really depends what tires your car has on it now. If they are all seasons its probably fine until Halloween or early November. If you're on summer high performance tires its a different story. I usually run my summers until Halloween, but this year I changed them already because the weather is terrible for the next week or so.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #2183
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Yeah, I'm not really surprised here. Going from a 35 series 19" tire to a 55 series 18" tire is a significant change in diameter if you kept the same width.

Should probably run your selection through a tire calculator: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Eg: Running a 245/35/19 and switching to a taller sidewall 18" wheel/tire combo for winter:

245/35R19 - Diameter: 25.8"
245/40R18 - Diameter: 25.7"
245/45R18 - Diameter: 26.7"
245/55R18 - Diameter: 28.6"

It'll also knock out your speedometer too.
Totally agree dude. I ####ing ran it through, willtheyfit.com and it ####ing said it would. For ff#### sakes.

Also #### the ####ing swear filter.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #2184
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as a result of this thread i took a closer look at my winter tires and noted that i had all four tires on the incorrect side of my vehicle......facepalm/walk of shame/idiot.

took me 45m to move all of them into the correct position last night. makes me wonder if i have been doing wrong for a while now and i question what i did with my summer tires - but i was too lazy to go and look to see if they are directional. i don't think they are because they were the factory supplied Hankook's - but i could be in for a huge surprise
Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #2185
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was under the impression that most tires these days are directional, but maybe that's just my experience. I haven't yet owned a set of tires that were not directional.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #2186
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

All seasons are asymmetrical, or at least the ones I have, that have one line running down the middle so doesn't matter how they are rotated. Winters though are directional tread patterns so they can't be rotated the same way when putting them on
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #2187
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

All depends on the tire. My winters on my truck or not directional. Car is. Both sets of summers aren't.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #2188
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lots of tires may not be directional but have an asymmetrical inside/outside patten. That’s be a hard one to screw up in your garage, but I’ve seen a tire guy miss it when mounting before.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #2189
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like I'll be spending a little bit of time in the ol' garage this evening. My wife has to drive tomorrow and it'll be a cold one with likely some snow still kicking about on the roads. All-seasons would be fine, but there is a certain satisfaction about putting the winters on while the weather is taking a nosedive.

My general rule of thumb is to do them just before or during the first big snowfall and/or temperature drop.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #2190
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Put mine on yesterday as I made a late decision to make a trip to Kelowna today. Very glad because even with the winters on it got a little squirrelly starting at Castle Junction through to Revelstoke.

Last edited by D as in David; 10-16-2020 at 07:27 PM.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #2191
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Try a tire next time. Hit the stuck tire with the tread side of the other tire. I had trouble with a stuck one time, tried a mallet with a board, lying on the ground kicking the tire, used the other tire and it came off easily.

This is what I used to do when I changed my tires myself.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #2192
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Totally agree dude. I ####ing ran it through, willtheyfit.com and it ####ing said it would. For ff#### sakes.

Also #### the ####ing swear filter.
Arch gap loss is the key, but that said I would have avoided that combination just for the -10% speedometer error.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #2193
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Arch gap loss is the key, but that said I would have avoided that combination just for the -10% speedometer error.
Heck no, gives me a reason to get out of one.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #2194
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Lots of tires may not be directional but have an asymmetrical inside/outside patten. That’s be a hard one to screw up in your garage, but I’ve seen a tire guy miss it when mounting before.
And yet, my Saturday swap over on my new SUV took 50% longer than it should have...

I also learned that said new SUV is right at the top of the range for my floor jack. I can get the tire maybe 3/4" off the ground.
InglewoodFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #2195
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got my car back from the shop all ready for winter! Ready to take her out in the snow to play around now.

Spoiler!

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 10-21-2020 at 01:17 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #2196
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dang. Bad timing. Just got a pretty nasty rip on one tire (all-weather - Toyo Celsius SUV) on AWD crossover vehicle. Estimating I got about 45,000 km on them, so wasn't planning on new tires this year.

In talking with a couple of tire companies, they recommend replacing all 4 tires, or at least 2 (rear) tires at minimal. My friend who is much more mechanically inclined than I am recommended replacing all four:
"having the front and back at different wear tread depth will be hard on the transfer case"

Appreciated thoughts on this, fine CPers...

Not surprisingly, low stock levels on tires these days, limiting available options.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #2197
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Dang. Bad timing. Just got a pretty nasty rip on one tire (all-weather - Toyo Celsius SUV) on AWD crossover vehicle. Estimating I got about 45,000 km on them, so wasn't planning on new tires this year.

In talking with a couple of tire companies, they recommend replacing all 4 tires, or at least 2 (rear) tires at minimal. My friend who is much more mechanically inclined than I am recommended replacing all four:
"having the front and back at different wear tread depth will be hard on the transfer case"

Appreciated thoughts on this, fine CPers...

Not surprisingly, low stock levels on tires these days, limiting available options.

Thanks
Measure the tread depth and compare to the new tires. There usually is a tolerance that’s is allowed. Suburus are apparently bad for this. Essentially the old tires because they are smaller need to rotate further then the new tires which normally only occurs on corners so your transfer case / differential has to work harder
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #2198
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally if I had to replace two, I would just replace all four, especially at 45000km. Even if you technically don't need to do the front ones, it would be annoying to be replacing the tires at different times going forward.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #2199
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can put the old 3 on Kijiji and say "like new, driven one season. Lots of tread left."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #2200
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our fleet runs those tires, and we actually are seeing most due for replacement at 45 000km fwiw.