Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #881
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

C'mon people. I loved Brodie just as much as anyone. But let's not pretend that his game wasn't also wildly inconsistent. He looked totally lost for many stretches at at time. His game was dependent on being tied to a good defensive partner. When he was on, he was a legit #2. But that didn't happen every night. People were constantly giving him breaks for various personal issues in his life, but he seemed to be constantly going through some kind of major crisis and re-evaluation of his life.

Overall, he was a great skater with great positioning, but his hockey IQ never progressed to the point that he was consistently making the kinds of on ice decision that top pairing veteran d-men should be making.

My only concern with Tanev over Brodie is injuries.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #882
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
C'mon people. I loved Brodie just as much as anyone. But let's not pretend that his game wasn't also wildly inconsistent. He looked totally lost for many stretches at at time. His game was dependent on being tied to a good defensive partner. When he was on, he was a legit #2. But that didn't happen every night. People were constantly giving him breaks for various personal issues in his life, but he seemed to be constantly going through some kind of major crisis and re-evaluation of his life.

Overall, he was a great skater with great positioning, but his hockey IQ never progressed to the point that he was consistently making the kinds of on ice decision that top pairing veteran d-men should be making.

My only concern with Tanev over Brodie is injuries.
I don't agree with all of those comments, but I agree that his style of play was more high risk, high reward.

Tanev will be a more stable presence, for sure. And for the current Flames roster and style, I think that is definitely a good thing.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #883
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Athletic just mentioned in an article that Giordano personally reached out to Tanev to make the pitch to come to Calgary and that the two work out together in the offseason.

So the captain played a role in this signing for sure, and I wonder if they do end up paired together.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #884
tvp2003
Franchise Player
 
tvp2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Athletic just mentioned in an article that Giordano personally reached out to Tanev to make the pitch to come to Calgary and that the two work out together in the offseason.

So the captain played a role in this signing for sure, and I wonder if they do end up paired together.
Here's the link: https://theathletic.com/2138908/2020...at-comes-next/

It also talked about how Vancouver originally offered 2x$4M and later increased it (after not getting OEL); Calgary also increased their offer and then got Tanev to sign by adding a fourth year.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #885
Blaster86
UnModerator
 
Blaster86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
It also talked about how Vancouver originally offered 2x$4M and later increased it (after not getting OEL); Calgary also increased their offer and then got Tanev to sign by adding a fourth year.

At the end of the day, the Canucks were never willing to commit to either Tanev or Markstrom in a way that made either player feel wanted. Tanev especially, after being ignored during the OEL debacle.

With that being said, I am glad we signed neither deal. While they make sense for the Flames, they do not make sense for the Canucks.
__________________

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR EVERYBODY HERE TONIGHT.
WHO WANTS TO WALK WITH ELIAS?

Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:46 AM   #886
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
At the end of the day, the Canucks were never willing to commit to either Tanev or Markstrom in a way that made either player feel wanted. Tanev especially, after being ignored during the OEL debacle.

With that being said, I am glad we signed neither deal. While they make sense for the Flames, they do not make sense for the Canucks.
I bet this won't age well concerning Markstrom...Canucks are going to have average to poor goal tending and it likely costs them playoffs. Also, if they were going to go with Demko they should have traded Markstrom. The expansion draft is not new.
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #887
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
At the end of the day, the Canucks were never willing to commit to either Tanev or Markstrom in a way that made either player feel wanted. Tanev especially, after being ignored during the OEL debacle.

With that being said, I am glad we signed neither deal. While they make sense for the Flames, they do not make sense for the Canucks.
It may work out for the Canucks and it may not. As much as we laugh at the Oilers for bringing back Mike Smith, Holtby had worse stats last season and hasn't have a SV% near .915 since 2017. Is Demko going to be good enough to cover for Holtby if he struggles? Are the Canucks good enough defensively to overcome below average NHL goaltending? That will be determined. I definitely think Green will have to adjust how they play as they are going to have to have to have more commitment to a defensive game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #888
Blaster86
UnModerator
 
Blaster86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It may work out for the Canucks and it may not. As much as we laugh at the Oilers for bringing back Mike Smith, Holtby had worse stats last season and hasn't have a SV% near .915 since 2017. Is Demko going to be good enough to cover for Holtby if he struggles? Are the Canucks good enough defensively to overcome below average NHL goaltending? That will be determined. I definitely think Green will have to adjust how they play as they are going to have to have to have more commitment to a defensive game.

The team was incredibly committed defensively last season. They're just not very good at it. I am not overly concerned about Holtby. The team obviously wasn't either. He's excited to work with Clark. Clark says there is some gas left in Holtby. And even if there isn't, it's two years to bridge into a full load for Demko.

The real truth is, next year is definitely looking primed for a step back, much like the Flames, Avs, Oilers and Leafs after their punching up seasons. It's a shame, but the flat cap really took all the wind out of the sails for re-signing any of our UFAs. Two seasons from now and the year after are when we're going to really have to make hay. We'll also find out if we've drafted as well as we think in later rounds, since that's going to be a major driver on whether we're a contender or not. If guys like Rathbone or Hoglander don't develop it really doesn't matter much.
__________________

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR EVERYBODY HERE TONIGHT.
WHO WANTS TO WALK WITH ELIAS?

Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #889
Canada 02
Franchise Player
 
Canada 02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
On 960 they spoke of Tanev as a hamonic replacement, if thats the case i like it. Hopefully Seattle takes him lol, but i still like it
Brian Burke was on the FAN, and said 31 of 31 GMs would take Tanev over Hamonic; Tanev is way better than Hamonic. Also said Tanev was key in mentoring Hughes, and will do the same for the Flames young D
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #890
Underdog
Backup Goalie
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cowtown
Exp:
Default

I first thought all the talk of trading Hanifin was crazy and would hurt our D without him in our top 4. But the more I hear about Tanev and how he plays and what he did with Hughes, it make sense to pair him with Valimaki.

We didn't sign Tanev to be a 5th/6th guy, he has to be in our top 4. So if Andersen is gonna play with Gio that makes Hanifin the odd man out, and since we're not paying him as a 5th/6th either, he could be used to swap for an impact forward.
__________________
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog!" ~ V.Lombardi
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #891
Hells Bells
First Line Centre
 
Hells Bells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PEI
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I first thought all the talk of trading Hanifin was crazy and would hurt our D without him in our top 4. But the more I hear about Tanev and how he plays and what he did with Hughes, it make sense to pair him with Valimaki.

We didn't sign Tanev to be a 5th/6th guy, he has to be in our top 4. So if Andersen is gonna play with Gio that makes Hanifin the odd man out, and since we're not paying him as a 5th/6th either, he could be used to swap for an impact forward.
I'm as high on Valimaki as anyone, but let's see if the guy can handle top 4 mins before shipping out guys that have proven capable.

The hope is that Hanifin will eventually be surpassed by Valimaki, but that is a ways away yet. Hanifin/Valimaki are my top 2 LHD's going forward, Giordano is the odd man out for me.
__________________
Hells Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #892
neo45
First Line Centre
 
neo45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I'm as high on Valimaki as anyone, but let's see if the guy can handle top 4 mins before shipping out guys that have proven capable.

The hope is that Hanifin will eventually be surpassed by Valimaki, but that is a ways away yet. Hanifin/Valimaki are my top 2 LHD's going forward, Giordano is the odd man out for me.
Everything that’s happened this offseason leads me to believe the brain trust is incredibly high on how good Valimaki is right now and in the future. Time will tell if they are right but I think BT is willing to make a massive gamble that he is a good NHL player this year

If Valimaki doesn’t step in and play well then we are a worse team than last year everywhere except in goal which wasn’t the issue anyways
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #893
Futzee
Farm Team Player
 
Futzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I liked Brodie because he had been around forever and felt like family but I hated that my measure of a good Brodie game was one where I didn't once say 'God Damn Brodie!?!?!' after an awful turnover.
Futzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #894
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futzee View Post
Thank god. When/how do we find out if Lucic agrees to renegotiate his NMC so we can hopefully not protect him. It would be such a jerk move for him not to and cost us one of his young teammates. He knows he isn't going to Seattle anyway.
It will be reported when the Flames submit their protected list to the NHL and the media gets a hold of the list.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016