Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #41
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Also more news from today:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1272965811167064064

Ontario, BC, and Quebec have all banned the private sale of blood. Alberta is repealing the ban that was put in place in 2017. It also defies the Krever Inquiry, which was basically set up the creation of the Canadian Blood Services agency.

Also today:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273325621616300037

And another piece of news:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273326664848531456

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 06-17-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #42
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
UCP: No, no, no! We slashed post-secondary funding so universities would be forced to cut namby-pamby liberal arts classes, not manly-man extra-curricular sports! HOW DARE THEY!
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really really against the sale of private blood. What's next, organs?

The real question though, is who is benefiting from this...follow the dollars.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #44
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
UCP: No, no, no! We slashed post-secondary funding so universities would be forced to cut namby-pamby liberal arts classes, not manly-man extra-curricular sports! HOW DARE THEY!
They directly point fingers at the UCP in their official statement. There is no mincing words.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, we purchase most of our plasma from the States anyways. Might as well pay Canadians.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #46
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Can they fire the board? Demand an audit? Who can they tap on to lead a panel to examine the University's budgets? Where's Matt Wolf to manage the issue on Twitter??
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #47
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“If passed, this bill will divert donations away from Canadian Blood Services to private buyers, who can then sell them to the highest bidder on world markets,” said NDP Health Critic David Shepherd.

“This is very bad for Albertans. It flies directly in the face of the Krever Inquiry.”

The Krever Inquiry investigated Canada’s tainted blood scandal, in which tens of thousands of people were infected with hepatitis C or HIV through tainted blood products.
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...on-canada.html

Quote:
The Krever Commission report recommended that blood donors should not be paid, and all blood transfused in Canadian hospitals continues to come from Canadian unpaid blood donors. Regarding plasma products, since well before the Krever report Canada has been heavily dependent on products made from paid-donor plasma. This is still true in Canada and most other countries. Part of Justice Krever’s concern was product safety, and the Panel report confirms that much has changed since the Krever report—there is no difference in safety between products made from volunteer and paid donors. Technology has advanced significantly over the years and made these products safer. There has not been a single case of transmission of hepatitis B, hepatitis C or HIV caused by plasma products since the introduction of modern manufacturing practices over 20 years ago, and this includes plasma products sourced from the US where most plasma donors are paid.
The NDP's Health Critic shouldn't be latching onto outdated information from 25 years ago about incidents that took place 40 years ago. If he has actual reasons against for-pay blood donation, fine, but this just shows he doesn't know or believe in technological advancement related to health care.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #48
TheIronMaiden
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You can't cut what's already been cut. The humanities department has been hobbling along on next to nothing at all for years.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #49
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Meh, we purchase most of our plasma from the States anyways. Might as well pay Canadians.
Good twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1273123366833184772
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #50
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Is it? Who said anything about transfusion?

Canada buys most of its plasma related products from the States with most of that plasma being supplied by paid-donors.
https://www.blood.ca/en/about-us/med...ma-sufficiency
Quote:
The amount of plasma we currently collect only meets about 13-14 per cent of the need for immune globulin (Ig), which is one of the plasma protein products in highest demand. The finished products we buy are made from plasma donated by paid donors in the United States. Buying plasma is not unique to Canada and provides a means of ensuring security of supply for patients. Without this system, patients who depend on these drugs would not have ready access to the therapies they need.
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...on-canada.html
Quote:
There is not enough plasma collected in Canada to meet the demand for plasma products. Most of the plasma products distributed by Canadian Blood Services and Héma-Québec are purchased from US manufacturers and made from US paid-donor plasma, e.g. about 80% of our immune globulin comes from the US. Most developed countries also depend on products made from paid-donor plasma. The current reality is that plasma from paid donors is needed to meet Canadian demand for plasma products.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #51
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Aaaand here we go. Fair deal panel un-embargoed.

Thread:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1273339545526755334
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #52
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Aaaand here we go. Fair deal panel un-embargoed.

Thread:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1273339545526755334
Kenney says he'll hold the equalization referendum in 2021. This is such a waste of money. "Hey guys, do you think we should be sending money to Quebec?" We already know what the result will show.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #53
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Kenney says he'll hold the equalization referendum in 2021. This is such a waste of money. "Hey guys, do you think we should be sending money to Quebec?" We already know what the result will show.
How much did we spend surveying oil and gas companies about their thoughts on oil and gas? Some surprising results, like oil and gas companies think that oil and gas is good.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #54
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd never been embarrassed to be an Albertan....until just over a year ago.
I'm not even sure what they are trying to turn the province into, but it's not good.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #55
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273345129495932929

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273347296969646080
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #56
Izzle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

BuT cAnAdA lOsEs ItS bId FoR tHe SeCuRiTy CoUnCiL sEaT!??!!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #57
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Kenney saying today that an equalization referendum is going to be held in 2021.

This is such a bureaucratic waste of money it makes my head spin.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #58
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
You can't cut what's already been cut. The humanities department has been hobbling along on next to nothing at all for years.
In fairness, thats usually due to each institution's internal budget.

Besides, craft paper and crayons are largely inexpensive already and they already gouge the students on Books and Parking and my understanding is that water fountains that take quarters is only a couple of years away!
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #59
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I'd never been embarrassed to be an Albertan....until just over a year ago.
I'm not even sure what they are trying to turn the province into, but it's not good.
I don't consider myself an Albertan. I'm a Canadian who has lived in Calgary for the last 18 years. I've put down roots here, bought a home, paid off my mortgage in full, and contributed to the local economy for nearly two decades. I have a STEM degree and work in the technology industry. I've never been in trouble with the law, not even for something as innocuous as a traffic ticket. I don't want to pat myself on the back too hard, but I consider myself to be a model citizen and precisely the type of inter-provincial migrant that Alberta should want to attract.

I've lived in this province for literally the entirety of my adult life, having moved to Calgary a month after I graduated from university. During that time, I've never considered leaving...until now. If it wasn't for the COVID lockdown, I would seriously be exploring relocating to another province, and the UCP government is the primary reason why. When I first moved to Alberta, almost all of my friends ribbed me for that decision. "Why would you possibly want to live there?" they asked derisively. "You're not a science-denying redneck homophobe." Whenever I heard comments like that from my friends, denigrating my adopted province, I'd always stick up for Alberta and Albertans. "That's just a stereotype," I'd say, "most Albertans aren't like that at all." The fact that the UCP continues to enjoy very high levels of support and would easily win another majority government if an election were held today despite all their BS from the past year is convincing me my friends were right all along.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #60
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Poor Trevor Tombe has so much misinformation on equalization to fight now.

I mean, the least they could bury the plainly wrong stuff in an appendix or something.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273351208393007104
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post: