Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #21
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Media poll (Castanet in B.C.) today of 1500 votes had 65% saying Canada should not have bothered.

Not much support (at least in Western Canada) for UN institutions.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:12 PM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Paul Well looks at the failed UN bid, and the whys.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-...s-at-the-back/
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #23
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

From the article:

ď Believing it would fall from the heavens on Trudeau because he wasnít Harper was an expression of the narcissism and shallowness that have characterized this government during much of its time in office.Ē
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 10:28 PM   #24
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Aside from the heavy-handed slant here, these are the issues people should be paying attention to in regards to the failed UN bid. I get that we want to go on and on about "the India debacle!" and "he was out of town when the railroads were blocked!!" but these are petty and irrelevant issues to the UN. People want these issues to matter to someone outside of them, but they really don't.

What matters are the big issues on the international stage. Trudeau failed because he didn't meet his commitments, he rushed the bid, and our foreign policy is weak overall. Ireland and Norway played it the opposite.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #25
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
This is just a guess, but I think people are starting to see Justin for what he really is...an actor and a phony.
You have way more faith and optimism than me.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:46 AM   #26
Yoho
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273563994528325633

Last edited by Yoho; 06-18-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Yoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:31 AM   #27
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Embarrassed the country?

Uh, no.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is just a guess, but I think people are starting to see Justin for what he really is...an actor and a phony.
The world simply doesn't see Trudeau as Canadians do as stated in the article above. He's offended and angered some and the rest are genuinely confused about what he stands for. I think a lot of leaders are actors and phonies but the key is that they stand for something and nobody really knows what Justin stands for as he can't make a decision out of being paralyzed of offending anyone, especially those that hold votes that he desires. We simply have no direction right now and other countries don't view us as a focussed nation.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Aside from the heavy-handed slant here, these are the issues people should be paying attention to in regards to the failed UN bid. I get that we want to go on and on about "the India debacle!" and "he was out of town when the railroads were blocked!!" but these are petty and irrelevant issues to the UN. People want these issues to matter to someone outside of them, but they really don't.

What matters are the big issues on the international stage. Trudeau failed because he didn't meet his commitments, he rushed the bid, and our foreign policy is weak overall. Ireland and Norway played it the opposite.
Is it? Or is it simply what some Canadians don't want to hear? He pretty well starts of the article cautioning that this isn't the end of the world.

Quote:
Itís important to resist the urge to overdramatize. Most of my pundit colleagues have spent years insisting there is no value in a United Nations Security Council seat.
He even finishes the article with the level headed statement below.

Quote:
Canada does good things in the world. That they are not wildly better than the things Canada was doing in 2010 or 2005 or 2000 should not surprise anyone. That they are not particularly better than the things Ireland and Norway does should not surprise anyone
Honestly if you call this heavy handed slant then I would love to know what you think of a typical Fox news story. This is as generous and fair an article as Justin deserves as the guy simply hasn't moved the needle at all and his indecision has the country spinning its wheels.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #30
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
I believe that, under Trudeau, Canada is generally perceived around the world a puppet/satellite of the US.
As a Canadian who lives overseas and travels (at least used to) regularly around the region, I can tell you, this perception is not true in the Orient and SE Asia.

Canada is widely perceived as quite different from the US and Trudeau is highly admired. Though, it is mainly based on image and general perception, not specific actions people can name.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #31
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Embarrassed the country?

Uh, no.
Uh, yes.

Repeatedly.
RubberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #32
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Uh, yes.

Repeatedly.
The article was talking about the UN Security vote, no?

Iím guessing the amount of Canadians embarrassed by the results are minuscule.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #33
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I hope itís zero. They lost to two countries who have been working towards this goal for a longer period of time.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #34
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can't you remember last year when we all dunked on Romania for losing out to Estonia for a seat?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #35
Flamenspiel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea, I agree that this whole thing is insignificant. That being said poor Justin must be embarrassed that Harper’s none effort in 2010 got more votes. I am sure Harper is having a snicker about it, and good on him for that.

He might not have been well liked but at least he was respected by the international community.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #36
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny that partisan Canadians think the country's perception around the world is influenced by which party or PM is in power.

Quick: Who's the prime minister of Norway and which party does she/he lead?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #37
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
As a Canadian who lives overseas and travels (at least used to) regularly around the region, I can tell you, this perception is not true in the Orient and SE Asia.

Canada is widely perceived as quite different from the US and Trudeau is highly admired. Though, it is mainly based on image and general perception, not specific actions people can name.

Not when it comes to diplomacy. We were a satellite of the UK, now we are a satellite of the US.

We are the Vale.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #38
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's funny that partisan Canadians think the country's perception around the world is influenced by which party or PM is in power.

Quick: Who's the prime minister of Norway and which party does she/he lead?

Better question: what policies, practices and values has Norway tried to influence and force on other countries?

I agree party and left/right has little to do with this. How they interact with the rest of the world is what influences an opinion on the country
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #39
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is it? Or is it simply what some Canadians don't want to hear? He pretty well starts of the article cautioning that this isn't the end of the world.

He even finishes the article with the level headed statement below.

Honestly if you call this heavy handed slant then I would love to know what you think of a typical Fox news story. This is as generous and fair an article as Justin deserves as the guy simply hasn't moved the needle at all and his indecision has the country spinning its wheels.
Now who is being a contrarian? lol. As I said, I agree with everything in the article, but if you think it's not slanted ("I don't have twitter so I'm not sure what's going on with Liberal twitter but I bet you it's oh this and that") then it just means you are pretty firmly on the side it's slanted towards.

The article is still generous and fair. Don't take so much offence to pointing out obvious bias, we've all got 'em, even political pundits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Better question: what policies, practices and values has Norway tried to influence and force on other countries?

I agree party and left/right has little to do with this. How they interact with the rest of the world is what influences an opinion on the country
I'm not sure most Canadians could even name that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God I hate politics sometimes. I found myself agreeing with Blanchet over the whole Singh thing.

There was a committee forming to review the systematic racism accusation in the RCMP, that also included creating a list of recommendations including things like process reviews, budget reviews etc.

The Bloc MP voting against it, wasn't a racist reaction in this case, and Blanchet was right, we can't just throw bills out there without review and information. Singh was trying to short circuit what in my mind would have been a review with a popularist bill.

I could be wrong, but Singh does owe an apology for throwing out a racist accusation.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm on board with the block. If Singh would have demanded the government step up to force Quebec off of Bill 21 (I think) and the Bloc would have said no, I would have had no trouble with the Bloc being called out for Racism as that is a toxic race and religious discrimination based bill in Quebec.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote