Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2020, 11:03 AM   #5141
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I won't bother telling you guys about interior BC.
That’s where I moved here from
Probably explains my inability to cope with this.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #5142
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, the while ‘damp cold’ thing I think is bull####. Rather, it’s something us prairie folks tell ourselves when our fingers and lips have split open.
“Well yeah, it’s -35 with the windchill, but at least it’s not a wet -5 amirite?”
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #5143
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the unpredictability of the weather in Calgary that sucks.

I'm an accomplished procrastinator, but I could be forgiven for thinking the week before Thanksgiving that I had another weekend or two to do some chores around the yard like raking the leaves, putting the filters into the eaves troughs, covering the pond, tidying up kids toys, packing hoses away, etc.

There's something disheartening about living in a place where spring cleanup can't really be done until the end of May, and to be prudent you need to prep for winter in September.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-18-2020 at 11:17 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #5144
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I would argue it has the best weather of any major Canadian city by the metric of days I want to do things outside. I packed down an XC loop in the park near me this morning. Was fun to be outside in the snow.

GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #5145
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Also, the while ‘damp cold’ thing I think is bull####. Rather, it’s something us prairie folks tell ourselves when our fingers and lips have split open.
“Well yeah, it’s -35 with the windchill, but at least it’s not a wet -5 amirite?”
Nope not right. I’ve been in places like Vancouver, London, Halifax in winter and -5 and rain and feels absolutely bone chillin. If you are out in it for any amount of time and get wet, it’s actually the kind of cold that just saps the energy out of your soul.

Compare that to -20 or -25 here and as long as dressed appropriately can ski mountains, take the dog for a walk, hell even sit through an outdoor football game
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #5146
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

I'm an accomplished procrastinator, but I could be forgiven for thinking the week before Thanksgiving that I had another weekend or two to do some chores around the yard like raking the leaves, putting the filters into the eaves troughs, covering the pond, tidying up kids toys, packing hoses away, etc.

There's something disheartening about living in a place where spring cleanup can't really be done until the end of May, and to be prudent you need to prep for winter in September.
Odds are it's going to warm up again and you can get your cleanup done. Most years it does.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #5147
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it was -35 the whole time it was a wet -5 then it'd be a good comparison.

Why are your fingers and lips splitting open? That's not normal, sounds like a serious disorder you should have a doctor check out
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #5148
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If it was -35 the whole time it was a wet -5 then it'd be a good comparison.
If you're comparing Calgary to Vancouver, -35º is about equivalent to -5º in terms of how often the temperature dips that low. For heating systems, the 99% design temperature (that means 1% of the hours of the year are below that temperature) for Calgary is -25º while it's -0.5º for Vancouver.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #5149
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Nope not right. I’ve been in places like Vancouver, London, Halifax in winter and -5 and rain and feels absolutely bone chillin. If you are out in it for any amount of time and get wet, it’s actually the kind of cold that just saps the energy out of your soul.

Compare that to -20 or -25 here and as long as dressed appropriately can ski mountains, take the dog for a walk, hell even sit through an outdoor football game
Disagree.
If you’re dressed appropriately anyhow, there is no way -5 feels colder than -25. Is, if you’re actually wet, you weren’t dressed appropriately to begin with.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #5150
chedder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also have to pile on and disagree. Having lived in Vancouver, Montreal and toronto before southern Alberta, the humid, damp cold is awful. I'll take -15 and sunny every day of the week over zero and wet. Though golfing in Victoria in December on a decent day is definitely awesome.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #5151
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Correct, the winter isn't too bad actually. The issue is winter is always showing up like a drunk guest to a dinner party 1 hr early. When it snows in Sept or Oct, we aren't ready.

Then in spring is it the annoying guest that won't leave, like I am in my PJ's, washed all the dishes, put all the booze away and turned on the front all light, get the ####ing message.

Stupid Socially inept Calgary Winter.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #5152
Inglewood Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Why are your fingers and lips splitting open? That's not normal, sounds like a serious disorder you should have a doctor check out
he's talking about Calgary dryness. unless you're some sort of perpetually oily bastard, if you're not applying moisturizer constantly during the winter here (even more severe now with covid washing frequency), then the reptile skin takes over very quickly.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #5153
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree.
If you’re dressed appropriately anyhow, there is no way -5 feels colder than -25. Is, if you’re actually wet, you weren’t dressed appropriately to begin with.
Have you ever lived in a wet climate? It's nearly impossible to stay dry no matter how you're dressed. I've gone full oilskin / Akubra like some Australian cowboy cosplayer and even that isn't a sure thing in Vancouver.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #5154
RichieRich
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree.
After living on Aberdeen Scotland for 2 years I can assure you that a nasty super humid multi day zero-Celsius is crazy cold. Gimme a Calgary -15C and sunny sky any day.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #5155
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell, -20 even. I've said before I'd rather ski in -20 or even a degree or two colder rather than in 0. The same goes for just city living. Dry snow is manageable, slush is misery.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #5156
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Good or bad?
Kootenays are an attractive option for retirement. Winter temps seem generally reasonable but people who live there comment a lot about the generally gloomy sky conditions. Maybe not rain but socked in clouds.
My Italian mother couldn’t stand the Sask or AB winters anymore so they moved to Kelowna about 10 years ago. They’re not retired but getting old enough putting up with prairie winters was too much of a PITA. The cloud cover in Kelowna is annoying but the lack of snow, the warmer weather and the extremely short winter makes it worth some gloom from Nov-Feb, which is all winter is here.

It’s sunny by March, golf courses open, weather starts getting warmer, proper seasons exist. Hell, most years it’s barely snowy or winters until December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Most of the leaves are still on the trees in Vernon, some of them still green. It's been cool (~10°) and rainy over the last week though. Friday night when Calgary was getting dumped on, it was 15° though.
I wore shorts on Friday here in Kelowna. Worked outside on the balcony most of the day. It got rainy and cold later in the day and even snowed for a bit this morning. But it’s basically Calgary + 10C at all times.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-18-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #5157
Minnie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
when our fingers and lips have split open.
Won't help with the lip splitting open bit, but for your hands, if they're dry to the point of splitting open, try Glaxal Base. We won't use anything else. The best bang for your buck is to get it at Costco. You get a rather large tub of the stuff for around the same price you're paying for a smaller tub at a pharmacy. And, you definitely want the stuff in the tub, not the stuff in a tube. We have found the stuff in the tube to be far too thin/greasy.

If the splitting is particularly bad, go to the dollar store or a pharmacy, and find the moisturizing gloves - they look a lot like a very thin cotton winter glove. At bedtime, put on as thick a layer of the Glaxal Base as you can stand & will still allow you to stick the glove on, and sleep overnight with the cream & gloves on, just wash off in the morning as usual. It will help immensely. Do that every night until the splitting heals. After that, any time you get out of the shower/tub, while your hands are still damp & warm, apply the GB. I promise, it helps. I suggested it to one of the ladies at our local grocery, who was having a terrible time with her fingertips splitting open & she won't use anything else now either.

Moisturizing gloves:

In terms of trying to keep your lips from getting so chapped that they split, I have had issues with that in the past as well, and for me, what worked finally, was the Blistex conditioning lip serum chapstick. I buy 4 or 5 and keep 1 in the car, one in a pocket, one in any bag I carry, on my bedside, and if I was working, I'd keep one in my desk. I just started applying it thick, every time I thought about it, and especially before going out in the cold/snow/wind. It's the only thing that healed things up and has kept them from splitting open again. You may find Burt's Bees or something else works better for you.

We lived in the far north for many years, so we were outside all the time, even at -40 or colder because if you didn't go out & stayed inside all the time, you'd go insane. But, that also led to alligator skin on your face & badly chapped & splitting lips. The Glaxal Base & eventually that chapstick are what healed things up for me. We use it on sunburn too, or just as a general moisturizer (especially over winter) - we find it better for sunburn than aloe, we don't get that horribly tight feeling of the sunburn, like we did if we applied aloe.

The Glaxal Base is hypoallergenic, perfume-free, lanolin-free, and non-greasy, can be used for psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema. It carries the Seal of Acceptance from the Eczema Society of Canada, and Radiation Oncology Centres across Canada recommend Glaxal Base Moisturizing Cream to patients undergoing radiation treatments to relieve associated dryness. I don't work for them, lol, we just have found it extremely helpful - my daughter especially likes it, because it's pretty much the only thing she doesn't have an MCAS reaction to.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #5158
keratosis
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like it here.
I especially like the melt down on CP first snowfall.

Last edited by keratosis; 10-18-2020 at 04:59 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #5159
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I like it here.
I especially like the melt down on CP first snowfall.
The weather might get cold, but reading the complaints from weak people that can't handle it warms me more than the sun ever could
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #5160
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hereby retract my prior statement of how glorious this fall has been.

All previous positive weather is hereby forgotten and all I can think of is the impending week of sub-par temps and scattered snow.

Hardly had enough time to properly winterize the yard since I was so busy enjoying the colors and oblivious to this terrible week and onslaught of winter. Need a couple days of good seasonal (10+) weather to get everything squared up. Feel like Im in purgatory having to shovel snow while all my summer stuff is still out.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote