Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #41
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^That is not the way it should work. See if it’s under warranty, even a crappy model of Bosch should dry.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #42
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The house we just bought came with a Bosch Ascenta dishwasher, is this one of the crappy Bosch models? It cleans ok, but can't dry for ####. Even leaving it for several hours we still have to dry dishes manually as we put them away
Yes that is the lower end model. I just bought a 300 model that is being installed tomorrow, the salesman said that Bosch cleaned great but isn’t the best at drying. Do you want a dish washer or dish dryer?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #43
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some models have a feature that auto pops open the door when the cycle ends. That helps drying.

So when you hear the chime go off, just pull door open a crack and that should help drying.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #44
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

My bosch doesnt dry that well I haven't really had a dishwasher that dried really well especially with plastics but it is head and shoulders above our other ones for washing ( I say ones because I used to buy them off kijjiji broken and fix them, then re sell them or keep them to use then sell our old one) in my experience the dishwashers I would come across the most were Samsung's, usually only a year or two old and people would be selling them for 100$ because they would break down so much. I would steer clear of any samsung appliance to be honest I have a fridge that constantly ices up an induction stove that throws error codes sometimes despite being 2500 ( again I bought it for 100 and had to put a 300$ part into it)
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #45
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

My dishwasher just stopped working, it won't fill with water. We tried a few things to fix it and it worked once but now same problem. Are they worth paying someone to fix? Or just a good excuse to buy another one? Btw, it's a Kenmore, probably 20 years old

Last edited by sec304; 10-07-2020 at 08:33 AM.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #46
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We have an Electrolux and love it. Washes incredibly well if you use the right soap and drying is great. We dab dry the top of coffee mugs as water pools there, and plastics need a wipe for droplets. That is it, best dishwasher I have ever had. It is also super quiet.
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #47
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I installed a Bosch 800-series in our kitchen, the 39 dBA model. It does a spectacular job, and it is whisper quiet... though that can be a bad thing as I have accidentally opened it a couple time during a run because I didn't bother to look for the red light on the floor indicating it was operating.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #48
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
My dishwasher just stopped working, it won't fill with water. We tried a few things to fix it and it worked once but now same problem. Are they worth paying someone to fix? Or just a good excuse to buy another one? Btw, it's a Kenmore, probably 20 years old
It can sometimes be worth fixing. I've fixed two dishwashers (one at the my last house, one at my current one) with the same part replacement. There is a water intake valve which opens/shuts to let water into the dishwasher. It was faulty.

To test, I was able to get a voltmeter on the contacts of the valve, to ensure that power was being sent to the valve during operation, which ruled out an issue with the control board. So it was the valve itself that was faulty.

The part was $30-$60. Replacement took about 10 minutes.

On my last dishwasher, I noticed some debris had gotten into the valve, jamming it shut. So it may not even have had to be replaced.

Both dishwashers I fixed were Boschs.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #49
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post

Check that your float is working... ie not bunged up with caked on fat/grease weighing it down. That's the most likely thing IMO. Google/Youtube this. So easy to fix. Second after that is the float switch has reached end of life. Easy to fix if you can find a replacement but at that age... Otherwise perhaps fill-valve or solenoid.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #50
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks guys, I will report back tomorrow
Old 10-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #51
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

UPDATE. Thanks for all of your help guys. The dishwasher is now fixed. After your comments and multiple youtube videos I narrowed it down to being an issue with the water intake valve. I took it out and it had black gunk in it. I cleaned it out and re-installed. Ran the dishwasher again but the problem persisted so I ordered a new one water intake valve on amazon for $30. Put the new one in last night and it works fine now!!! Feels good. This experience also reminded me how much I hate plumbing.

Thanks guys!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #52
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Just got a Bosch. Very pleased, but ya... it doesn't dry at all. Seemed to be the big knock on it in the reviews but I don't care too much. Cleans better than anything else I've ever had.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #53
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The house we just bought came with a Bosch Ascenta dishwasher, is this one of the crappy Bosch models? It cleans ok, but can't dry for ####. Even leaving it for several hours we still have to dry dishes manually as we put them away
Do you prop it open and let it steam exhaust after it’s complete? This is the key to dishes drying and why the fancy Miele ones autoprop themselves open when done.

Our Bosch has a pretty strong spring so we fold a dish towel to hold it open. First person to take something out drapes the towel over the door and then it acts as an indicator that the dishes in there are clean until it gets reloaded.

If I forget to open it the dishes don’t get completely dry.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #54
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our Bosch dries fine. We use the sanitize option and haven’t used the extra dry feature yet.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:00 AM   #55
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Do you prop it open and let it steam exhaust after it’s complete? This is the key to dishes drying and why the fancy Miele ones autoprop themselves open when done.

Our Bosch has a pretty strong spring so we fold a dish towel to hold it open. First person to take something out drapes the towel over the door and then it acts as an indicator that the dishes in there are clean until it gets reloaded.

If I forget to open it the dishes don’t get completely dry.
I'm doing that now and it's helping. But our old condo has a 15 year old GE dishwasher that's still working, it's a cheap unit too with a plastic bin. Yet that thing cleans and dries better than the Bosch one we have now. Only downside to it was how loud it was, had to have subtitles on if you wanted to watch TV while it was running
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #56
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't know if it's my Bosch--10 yrs old, I wouldn't even know where to look for the model number-- but the most annoying thing is that you have to turn it off before you can turn it on. (ie: when a cycle is completed, the machine doesn't shut off).

So you load it up full of dirty dishes, then push the power button to turn it off, then again to turn it on. It's a little thing, but constantly annoys me, it's completely asinine. Who designs this?Imagine getting in your car in the morning, putting the keys in then having to turn it off, then turn it on to get going.

My mom's doesn't do this and it's also a Bosch and its about 5-7 years older
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #57
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Don't know if it's my Bosch--10 yrs old, I wouldn't even know where to look for the model number-- but the most annoying thing is that you have to turn it off before you can turn it on. (ie: when a cycle is completed, the machine doesn't shut off).

So you load it up full of dirty dishes, then push the power button to turn it off, then again to turn it on. It's a little thing, but constantly annoys me, it's completely asinine. Who designs this?Imagine getting in your car in the morning, putting the keys in then having to turn it off, then turn it on to get going.

My mom's doesn't do this and it's also a Bosch and its about 5-7 years older
I got that beat. Friends of mine have a Bosch and the beeping when the cycle is done? It doesn't stop until you open the door. So if you run it before you go to bed, it will begin beeping 2 hours later and will not stop.

The only reason I actually purchased my current Bosch is because I called him to figure out what unit he had so I could avoid it, but he told me the dinging is very specific to only his model, and the dishwasher itself was amazing.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

KitchenAid dishwashers suck. I can't wait until this thing dies so we can replace it with a Bosch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our Kitchenaid been fantastic. Cleans everything really well, dries plastic if you open it at the end, no weird beeping issues...just takes 2 hours for a cycle, but you can run a speed cycle in 45 minutes that uses more water.

Maybe yours broken?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #60
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations for a budget dishwasher? LIke ~ $500ish?

Only need budget as we are about to put our place up for sale and our Kenmore dishwasher blew one of the springs that prevents the door opening too fast. I could try to fix it but really couldn't be bothered and a newer dishwasher may aid in selling.

Now that I've posted I guess it really doesn't matter as we are hoping to get out of this place but feel bad leaving new owners with a POS. But surely there are decent dish washers around that price point?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote