Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
There were 94 d-men on 31 teams that played over 40 games and had over 20 minutes a game.

Ceci ranked 80th. He played on a solid playoff team.


He had 4.79 hits / 60 minutes #60 of all defensemen with over 40 games played... Hannifin had the most hits as a Flames D-man had 3.31 hits/ 60 minutes


Was Forbort a good signing for 1M x 1 ? and yet Ceci a bad signing at 250K more?
You keep measuring Dmen by Number of hits. That’s flawed.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #22
ricardodw
Franchise Player
 
ricardodw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You keep measuring Dmen by Number of hits. That’s flawed.
Show me a successful team that doesn't have at the very least 2or 3 big hitting Dmen

Tampa Cernak, sergachev, then added Schenn and Bogosian

Vegas Holden, McNabb, Whitecloud

Stars Olesiak, Johns (replaced in the playoffs by Lindell)

Islanders: Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield



All of the mentioned d-men hit more than the single Flame hitting D-man Hanifin.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #23
Jiri Hrdina
Moderator
 
Jiri Hrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Exp:
Default

The flaw is that hits seem to have a lot of variability in terms of how they are counted. It's simply not a reliable stat and thus can't be used to evaluate anything.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Show me a successful team that doesn't have at the very least 2or 3 big hitting Dmen

Tampa Cernak, sergachev, then added Schenn and Bogosian

Vegas Holden, McNabb, Whitecloud

Stars Olesiak, Johns (replaced in the playoffs by Lindell)

Islanders: Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield



All of the mentioned d-men hit more than the single Flame hitting D-man Hanifin.
First of all, number of hits =/= “big hitting”.
Second, to hit someone, they have to have the puck. It means, quite often, they’ve lost a puck race. Good Dmen tend to get hit, and if they’re doing well, they’ve moved the puck first.
Third, compare the rest of those D’s possession stats with Ceci and maybe you will be surprised that they do other things.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #25
savemedrzaius
First Line Centre
 
savemedrzaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
There were 94 d-men on 31 teams that played over 40 games and had over 20 minutes a game.

Ceci ranked 80th. He played on a solid playoff team.


He had 4.79 hits / 60 minutes #60 of all defensemen with over 40 games played... Hannifin had the most hits as a Flames D-man had 3.31 hits/ 60 minutes


Was Forbort a good signing for 1M x 1 ? and yet Ceci a bad signing at 250K more?
When the Leafs got Ceci I had the same thinking as you. I thought he was a physical dman ala Muzzin.

He ain't.

I watched probably 80% of Leaf games last season. He is not a physical dman. Dermot, Reilly, Muzzin off the top of.my head are way more physical.

I saw the hits stats too but they aren't hard hits. I don't know how they were tabulating hit for Ceci but it's flattering towards him for sure.

He is a black hole on offence and provides no physicality. He is solid defensively but I'm not sure he deserves more than league minimum at this point.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016