Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2023, 04:50 PM   #1021
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Even Burke skirted around the Russian issue with his Opinion piece on HNIC. There's something more to it than what's being said. I hope it's a legit family concern issue back home, cause if it's not than #### em all.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:45 PM   #1022
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Two of the Canucks most famous bigots, Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler, are probably very proud. Rich history of great humans in that org
I am not at all shocked about Kuzmenko, Russia is very anti homosexual and Russians in my experience are quite intolerant. Someone who left there less than a year ago and still having regressive views shouldn’t be a surprise.

As for Burrows and Kesler I had never heard that before.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:49 PM   #1023
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The vast majority of players in the NHL with Russian heritage had zero issues with wearing the pride jerseys. We really need to stop with this xenophobia, and painting all Russians with the same brush. It's not a good path that some of us in the west seem to go down every time. Kuzmenko's very own teammate, Podkolzin is wearing it tonight.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nati...eer-stats.html

https://twitter.com/user/status/1641875764097462272
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 05:53 PM   #1024
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I am not at all shocked about Kuzmenko, Russia is very anti homosexual and Russians in my experience are quite intolerant. Someone who left there less than a year ago and still having regressive views shouldn’t be a surprise.

As for Burrows and Kesler I had never heard that before.
I don't really like this type of discourse. Some Russians are intolerant. Some aren't. It's a large group of people. Some of them who have never left and live there now are very supportive.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 05:53 PM   #1025
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep this pretty much confirms that Kuzmenko is a POS.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:09 PM   #1026
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I made a slight joke about the riots that year, to a friend from Vancouver. Dude didn't take it well. He actually got really defensive. And nothing seems to really piss him off

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:11 PM   #1027
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league kind of dropped the ball when they sent the message it wasn't a big deal one way or the other, if they had told all players they would face a 5 game suspension or a months lost pay they would all play in the jerseys
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:49 PM   #1028
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't know how easily the NHLPA would've accepted that.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:58 PM   #1029
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Didn't Bettman make a statement that the NHL is thinking about discontinuing these? That would be a disappointment that they would end it because it's allowing a small minorities' views win the day. Probably would still keep the military nights, is my guess.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:53 PM   #1030
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The vast majority of players in the NHL with Russian heritage had zero issues with wearing the pride jerseys. We really need to stop with this xenophobia, and painting all Russians with the same brush. It's not a good path that some of us in the west seem to go down every time. Kuzmenko's very own teammate, Podkolzin is wearing it tonight.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nati...eer-stats.html

https://twitter.com/user/status/1641875764097462272
Old 03-31-2023, 09:11 PM   #1031
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Two of the Canucks most famous bigots, Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler, are probably very proud. Rich history of great humans in that org
Care to elaborate?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:19 PM   #1032
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

The moral panic over the jerseys continues
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:22 PM   #1033
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I don't really like this type of discourse. Some Russians are intolerant. Some aren't. It's a large group of people. Some of them who have never left and live there now are very supportive.
Obviously not all Russians are intolerant but it sure seems that a higher percentage are relative to the North American population. It isn’t that I am viewing every Russian the same as though they are a monolithic population with a universal viewpoint. I just happen to think that a larger percentage of Russians have regressive attitudes towards the homosexual population. Plus a lot of Russians in the NHL like Zadorov spent formative years in Canada in the junior hockey system.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:13 AM   #1034
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Care to elaborate?
Bigot was too harsh of a word, I did not remember some things correctly.

Burrows made fun of Jordan Tootoos family and brothers suicide. I mis remembered, thought he said something racist. Kesler is a Trump supporter, but yes that does not make him a bigot. Poor comment on my part. Just was too fired up.

Last edited by Beninho; 04-01-2023 at 12:20 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:44 AM   #1035
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Obviously not all Russians are intolerant but it sure seems that a higher percentage are relative to the North American population. It isn’t that I am viewing every Russian the same as though they are a monolithic population with a universal viewpoint. I just happen to think that a larger percentage of Russians have regressive attitudes towards the homosexual population. Plus a lot of Russians in the NHL like Zadorov spent formative years in Canada in the junior hockey system.
Yeah, I mean Russia has anti-LGBTQ laws. There are of course Russians that don't adhere to those thoughts, but there are a lot who are indoctrinated into it.

Like you said, Zadorov has been living in North America since he was a teenager, so he has been immersed in Western culture and likely has developed a higher level of tolerance than many people right from Russia.

As disappointing as it is to see Kuzemenko opt out of the initiative, because he actually seems like a nice guy, maybe he will eventually come around. I can kind of relate my own experience growing up in a small hick town where it was common to denigrate gay people. The thought process exists here too in some circles.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-01-2023 at 12:50 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:17 AM   #1036
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post

TBQH, nevermind Russian, some Americans are quite intolerant. How many times we've heard LGBTQ got beaten up or murdered?
Old 04-01-2023, 03:11 AM   #1037
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
TBQH, nevermind Russian, some Americans are quite intolerant. How many times we've heard LGBTQ got beaten up or murdered?
You're right; too many. But, to me it doesn't have anything to do with Russian, American, Canadian, or anywhere else. It's really not fair to group people in this way based on their passport, when they can be grouped together based on how they treat others. For example, Kuzmenko deserves to be grouped with Provorov, Reimer, and the Staal brothers in this case. Three of whom are Canadian.

Some people are sadly violently intolerant, and most people aren't that way. In 20, 50, 100 years, there will be fewer people in the former category.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 04:10 PM   #1038
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bigot was too harsh of a word, I did not remember some things correctly.

Burrows made fun of Jordan Tootoos family and brothers suicide. I mis remembered, thought he said something racist. Kesler is a Trump supporter, but yes that does not make him a bigot. Poor comment on my part. Just was too fired up.
Wait, Burrows did this, like actually?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:45 PM   #1039
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Wait, Burrows did this, like actually?
https://thehockeynews.com/news/jordi...-him-classless
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #1040
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The league kind of dropped the ball when they sent the message it wasn't a big deal one way or the other, if they had told all players they would face a 5 game suspension or a months lost pay they would all play in the jerseys
Thats a great idea, if you have your own ideas and don't do what someone else says, you get a big punishment. good call.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post: