Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #61
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sam has to do something more to earn that raise
I have a feeling that with the new coach and teammates, Bennett will have a breakout year. I sure hope I'm right, he is really due.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yobbo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #62
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I have this feeling that Sam and Czarnik are going to click. I don't know why, but that seems like a darkhorse situation that will really show its colors by September.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #63
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think that Bennett will have Frolik on his opposite wing this season.
I expect that it will help him, as they had good chemistry during Bennett's rookie season.
I'm guessing that Ryan will be their center.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
I think that Bennett will have Frolik on his opposite wing this season.
I expect that it will help him, as they had good chemistry during Bennett's rookie season.
I'm guessing that Ryan will be their center.
I think you are right about Frolik but wrong about Ryan. I think it will be Jankowski still. However, there is plenty of room to shake things up on the bottom 6, at any time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #65
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what will happen with Bennett. The guy really concerns me, but I am hoping it was all Gulutzan. Unfortunately, the Flames are bringing in another Gulutzan-like coach, so this might not be the best fit for Bennett. I'm also not certain that changing linemates is going to help. When he played with Monahan and Gaudreau last season he looked completely lost out there. If I were drawing up the lineup I would have him with Backlund and Frolik as the third line, and see if he can perform there in a two-way role. If he produces, then I might try him up the lineup with other more offensively gifted players, but at this point, I don't play him with anyone you think is going to be a big scorer as he may just drag them down. Bennett needs to take baby steps, and the best one to get his game back would be to play with Backlund and Frolik and see if he can get back to his rookie season level of performance first.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #66
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't know what will happen with Bennett. The guy really concerns me, but I am hoping it was all Gulutzan. Unfortunately, the Flames are bringing in another Gulutzan-like coach, so this might not be the best fit for Bennett. I'm also not certain that changing linemates is going to help. When he played with Monahan and Gaudreau last season he looked completely lost out there. If I were drawing up the lineup I would have him with Backlund and Frolik as the third line, and see if he can perform there in a two-way role. If he produces, then I might try him up the lineup with other more offensively gifted players, but at this point, I don't play him with anyone you think is going to be a big scorer as he may just drag them down. Bennett needs to take baby steps, and the best one to get his game back would be to play with Backlund and Frolik and see if he can get back to his rookie season level of performance first.
A lot of metrics say Bennett had a much better 17/18 than his disappointing 16/17 season but wasn't rewarded. Both were with Gulutzan, so it's hard to say what will happen this year.

Same season with better puck luck and he's a 30-35 point player.

Is that all though?

I'm almost done hoping the guy finds a gear, but if better teammates add to the above he may get to a point where he could demand a contract like that coming out of this season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #67
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyways back to the topic Tkachuk being eager to sign long term. Anymore news?
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #68
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Obligatory

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #69
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Excited to hear he wants to be here long term. I’m a big fan of this kid and his desire to win and compete and draw his teammates into these games isn’t something you ignore.

I haven’t seen a rookie do this since Theo, Gary Roberts, Joe Neiwendyk, And those guys were absolute beasts .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #70
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As far as 18 yr olds stepping into the NHL and being consistently good from day 1, Matthew is in elite company. Add that everything in his game is trending in the right direction and his penchant for being a big game dynamic force is unquestionable. As a fan, the longer the term the better chance for multiple cups for us I think. If at some point him & the organization have to part ways, I believe his value will be recognized league wide for quality returns.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #71
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will be a glorious day getting Tkachuk signed to a 7 or 8 year deal. He's not only future C material but a must have for Stanley Cup playoff success. The AAV is a tough one to guess - 8 years at $6.75 per.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #72
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
It will be a glorious day getting Tkachuk signed to a 7 or 8 year deal. He's not only future C material but a must have for Stanley Cup playoff success.
And yet somehow every team that ever won the Stanley Cup did it without him. Funny, that.

I find it better not to get too emotionally invested in any one player.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #73
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Let's win a playoff series more than once in 80 years before predicting the Stanley Cup or multiple Cups please. It's embarrassing.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #74
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it was Wes Gilbertson on The Fan moments ago was mentioning it's likely that Tkachuk and his agent will wait this season out to see how the season goes. IMO if Tkachuk were to sign an 8 year x 6.25, that would be a bargain. But I think Tkachuk knows if he waits it out and puts up another great season, that number might start with a 7.

Either way it will be a great day when Tkachuk signs long term. I can't believe he's only 20, and will be 21 when he signs long term. It will take him all through his prime years with the Flames. What beautiful beast that kid is.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #75
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep it was Wes.

Basically saying that he's not getting any cheaper, therefore there's no point for Tkachuk's agent to begin talks. His price can only go up this year.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #76
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bad season or, heaven forbid, a serious injury like a concussion could not just lower his contract but significantly.

It would be hard for anyone to turn down 50M guaranteed, even if waiting a year could bring it up to 55M+. There's certainly a high risk in waiting a year to sign, even if Tkachuk ultimately lands on the reward being worth it.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #77
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
If the Flames don't win a Cup with a C on Giordano's chest, I'm confident they will with one on Tkachuk's.

This kid is driven to succeed, and he wants to do it here. We're a lucky bunch to have that kind of talent, passion, drive and (surely) leadership wearing our team's jersey.

We're allowed to be pessimistic as Flames fans, as we've already had someone with those same traits dedicate himself to our team. But the roster Tkachuk is playing with is wildly different than what Iggy was afforded. Granted, they had a Kipper... but we're not worried about getting a center that can play at his level.

The league fawns over the what the Oilers have in McDavid, but I have a feeling that at the end of their careers these two will be talked about synonymously. Maybe McDavid's speed and hands will be a nod to the McDavid camp, but they are heated debates when they spark up. The north should fear a lost opportunity this time around. The odds would be pretty tilted towards the Flames if they were both sitting that game out.

It's exciting times!
Did I just read that by the end of their careers you think Tkachuk and McDavid will be looked at as equals? Good lord.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #78
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

We gotta get him done.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #79
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
The Flames currently have 7.54 mill in cap space and are set to have 7.75 million worth of one way contracts come off the cap by next off season (15.29 mill) With Noah taking a 7 x 4.75 type contract that brings our expected cap space by next offseason to 10.54 mill.

Smith - 4.25 mill
Lazar - 950k
Kulak - 900k
Hathaway - 850k
Prout - 800k

Players expecting a Raise
Bennett - 1.95 - increase to 3 x 3.575 (+1.58) (Backlund’s bridge deal)
Tkachuk - 925k - increase to 8 x 6.75 (+5.825)

That uses 10.325 mill up and doesn’t consider player bonuses, the need to either reup Smith for a year or find a veteran backup, graduating Andersson/Valimaki/Dube etc.

Frolik and Stone are the odd men out at some point this season or by next offseason at the latest IMO.
In what universe is Bennett worth (or expecting to get) that number?
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #80
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
In what universe is Bennett worth (or expecting to get) that number?
A universe in which Bennett scores 20-20; showing a modest improvement on his rookie season totals.

Outrageous stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote