Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #241
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I don't know about that Cliff, there were as many negative as there was positive things about Rio in these games, and skilled labor(IT staff) is not really that cheap in Brazil, certainly not compared to low cost centers like Bangalore or San Jose(Costa Rica). London was already on the map.
Sorry, I should have used green text.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #242
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Yeah, and the operation of the federal government includes paying for stuff in their jurisdiction, which is the entire country. You can give me another civics lesson if you like, but that's the deal.
No, the operation of the federal government includes paying for stuff in their jurisdiction, which includes national defence, immigration, customs and immigrations, maintaining a viable currency, looking after fisheries and oceans, etc., etc. – and does NOT include areas of jurisdiction specifically reserved to the provinces. The federal government is not entitled to spend any amount it likes on anything it pleases, just because the object of that spending happens to be located within the borders of Canada.

You flunk the civics lesson. Try harder next time.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #243
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Sorry, I should have used green text.
lol, i kind of thought so....
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #244
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some spit balling going on at /r/Calgary about what facilities in the city could be renovated or upgraded for use in 2026 and what would need to be built new. Biggest issue seems to be the lack of rinks beyond the Saddledome that can be used for men's and women's hockey group play, curling, short track speed skating and figure skating.

Here's the list of venues from 2010 for comparison sake

Old 08-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #245
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Bell and the Markin MacPhail Centre at Winsport could be used.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #246
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Max Bell and the Markin MacPhail Centre at Winsport could be used.
Those two facilities combined only hold 5000 people.

But maybe smaller scale is better.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #247
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Those two facilities combined only hold 5000 people.

But maybe smaller scale is better.
When tickets for the Vancouver Olympics were released to the public months before the beginning of the games, demand was so high that they instituted a nationwide lottery for their distribution. ALL tickets to ALL events were gone within hours.

A smaller scale is definitely not better. It is probably not even entirely feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #248
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Trevor Tombe
‏@trevortombe
To say Calgary's 1988 Olympics "made money" is false. Here's the data (as best as I could reconstruct). #yyc #ableg
https://twitter.com/trevortombe/stat...560763904?s=09

Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #249
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Olympics happen then a new arena would be built in some form so the saddledome could be kept operational for a few years to leverage it for all the figure skating and short track speed-skating. Corral is around 7k and could potentially renovated for curling (man could they ever use new seats. Pretty much a good chuck is already close to usable. The only thing I can't speak to is the oval. The 2k current capacity is a long way off.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #250
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post

Vancouver had a similar argument. VANOC broke even, but that was just operating the Olympics. Didn't include costs from city/province/feds.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #251
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
When tickets for the Vancouver Olympics were released to the public months before the beginning of the games, demand was so high that they instituted a nationwide lottery for their distribution. ALL tickets to ALL events were gone within hours.

A smaller scale is definitely not better. It is probably not even entirely feasible.
A smaller scale IS more profitable. The ticket costs don't outweigh the costs of constructing a venue. If you can't add seats through temp seating in an existing space it likely isn't a good idea.

I'm not sure if the numbers are out there but the Vanoc curling building was entirely a temporary facility (I think). So if you could ever parse the numbers out on tickets vs Cost that would be one to look at.

Also you can charge more if the venue is smaller as well.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #252
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ticket sales seemed totally irrelevant in Rio based on the number of empty seats.

I'm not old enough to know what preceded the Olympics, but there are at least a few things on the right side of that chart that continued to generate revenue (or were sold to private) after the Olympics.

Paskapoo Slopes may not have survived as a standalone operation, and might be another cookie cutter community right now.

Canmore Nordic Centre - coming up on 30 years of world-class facility (in NA terms). Annual competitions

Nakiska - wouldn't exist. Say what you will, it's a nice family hill. Anyone have details on sale to RCR (or someone else first)?

Oval - Mostly just a training grounds, but the facility is useful for other events (ie. science fair) and the city can use as many regular rinks as it can get.

All of the above are important for training, but bring other benefits too. Of course, they probably could have been achieved cheaper...but unlikely without a catalyst.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #253
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Empty seats ≠ Tickets not sold. Lots of tickets were sold (or disbursed) in Rio, but that doesn't mean people used the tickets. More than likely scalpers (like the IOC) couldn't move all their tickets, which also contributes to empty seats. Everything I've read is that ticket sales reached the 80% level they wanted.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #254
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Empty seats ≠ Tickets not sold. Lots of tickets were sold (or disbursed) in Rio, but that doesn't mean people used the tickets. More than likely scalpers (like the IOC) couldn't move all their tickets, which also contributes to empty seats. Everything I've read is that ticket sales reached the 80% level they wanted.
I remember reading somewhere that the big sponsors (Pepsi, McD's etc) get a ton of tickets. They generally take clients etc. Apparently they weren't coming to Rio which is why many venues were empty (and obviously why dude was scalping)

Not sure how many tickets they would get, and I am assuming they didn't pay for them.

In any event, ticket sales are probably not a major source of revenue, but i could be wrong.

Last edited by Cappy; 08-23-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #255
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
This is a beautifully constructed piece of information.

However I see a different conclusion. The Calgary Olympics did make money. I equate making money with operating revenue. Basic rules for accounting does for the most part as well. Go check out any company's income statement. You won't find capital investments on there. You will find depreciation, which I guess is one thing technically missing from saying that '88 generated a $32M profit.

The '88 Olympics made a profit and spurred a $405M capital investment.

There is no debating that unless you want to get picky (e.g. depreciation). The only thing that should be up for debate is whether that $504M capital investment was a sound investment.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #256
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post

However I see a different conclusion. The Calgary Olympics did make money. I equate making money with operating revenue. Basic rules for accounting does for the most part as well. Go check out any company's income statement. You won't find capital investments on there. You will find depreciation, which I guess is one thing technically missing from saying that '88 generated a $32M profit.

There is no debating that unless you want to get picky (e.g. depreciation). The only thing that should be up for debate is whether that $504M capital investment was a sound investment.
Good old difference between cash flows and income
Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #257
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I'm not sure making the facilities bigger changes this though. You will still have a lottery and demand likely still outstrips supply. It will be that way for any Winter Olympics in Canada.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #258
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm not sure making the facilities bigger changes this though. You will still have a lottery and demand likely still outstrips supply. It will be that way for any Winter Olympics in Canada.
Spot on. Which is why you shouldn't size your facilities to maximize profit during the games. Ideally, you should size your facilities to maximize return on that facility's capital cost over the life of that asset.

Sure dropping $50M on a new curling facility would generate more curling ticket revenue during the Olympics than repurposing Max Bell for $10M, but unless that extra Olympic ticket revenue is $40M (doubtful), then you better make sure that facility generates $40M of profit (present valued) over its lifetime.

Those numbers are obviously just total assumptions to make the point.

It all comes down to my new favorite Olympics mantra courtesy of GGG: "The best case scenario for the Olympics is you get infrastructure you wanted at a discounted price. The worst case is you get infrastructure you didn't want at an inflated price."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #259
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post

I guess in your point of view, assuming all the facilities were well worth investments for the future of the City/province, the Olympics made $68.5 mill ( [facilities costs + net profit] - [ Federal/Provincial/City money + Other Federal Activities])?

The problem with Olympics 2.0 here is, if we can't refurbish what we have, will we gain as much as we have existing facilities i.e. the Olympic oval and Nordic center may not be up to Olympic snuff (I have no idea) but they are infinity better then nothing which was here prior to 88 (we have less to gain as our starting point is higher).

Personally, I am not sure where I fall. I am OK with the money the city is spending on this so far, and hope for detail public reports.

Last edited by Kavvy; 08-23-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #260
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, in my point of view the Olympics made $120.5M in operating profit ($559M -$96M - $78.4M - $65.4M - $62.2M - $42.4M - $94.1M) and caused a capital infrastructure investment of $405.4M.

I do not have the information on whether or not we received a decent return on that investment since I don't have all their revenues, expenses, sustaining capital, and incremental economic activity generated over the years available. My gut tells me, however, that it was an incredibly profitable investment.