Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #161
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Leafs are expected to keep Sparks as the backup and put McBackup on waivers. If the Flames are just looking for a temporary backup he is a great choice. He was awesome with the Leafs and actually stole some games for the Leafs.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #162
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Leafs are expected to keep Sparks as the backup and put McBackup on waivers. If the Flames are just looking for a temporary backup he is a great choice. He was awesome with the Leafs and actually stole some games for the Leafs.
Maybe during his second stint he’ll get a locker room stall..
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #163
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Remember we're talking about the franchise that paid Vegas Rielly Smith to take Marchessault and literally left Gallant on the curb. I'd say there's a chance.
I think they paid Marchessault to take Reilly Smith.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #164
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames aren't looking for a temporary backup, but gee thanks for offering up a Leafs castoff.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #165
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully at the end of the year it's clear one of Gillies or Rittich will turn into something more than a backup. If it looks like they still need to be sheltered a bit then I'd sign Varlomov
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #166
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Flames aren't looking for a temporary backup, but gee thanks for offering up a Leafs castoff.

He's not a cast-off. It's because Sparks is no longer waiver exempt so if they send him down I would almost guarantee someone claims Sparks and Leafs lose him for nothing.

Have you seen McBacup`s numbers from last year?

18 GP, 15 GS, 11 Wins, 2.14 GAA, .934 SV.

And that's with a majority of his starts being the second game of back to backs and the Leafs defense is horrible so I've been told.

Personally makes sense to me for the Flames.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #167
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Jesus, Tre acting up again with his quest for a #1 goalie. Never ends... Just build a frickin team that doesn't suck in front of a goalie already.
"Goaltending is 75% of your hockey team, unless you don't have it. Then it's 100%." - Harry Neale.

The notion that a team can win without lights out goaltending, by and large, is bunk.

People will throw up examples like Chris Osgood, who is 12th all time in wins, won three Stanley Cups (2 as a starter) and doesn't have a playoff GAA above 2.12 in any of the three years he went to the finals as a starter. At age 35, he won his last title with a 1.51 GAA and a .930 save percentage.

They might suggest Antti Niemi, who has a championship because Kane and Toews weren't yet 22, and Philadelphia had a career AHLer along with 33 year old former Flame Brian Boucher starting games.

Just last January, I was supremely confident the Calgary Flames would make the playoffs. Then we stopped having a goalie.

Very rarely will anyone win a Stanley Cups without elite goaltending. There's no amount of quality defense that can compensate for a mentally weak sieve.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #168
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^
Washington was getting ready for an early first round exit until Holtby was given the net back and returned to top notch form
Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #169
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
A deal for Carey Price would have to be built around Tkachuk or Monahan. You're not getting him for scraps.

And if we're talking 50% salary retained, it's Monahan ++
Not a chance. Tell me when a goalie has returned an under 25 first line forward. No way Price has that value.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #170
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's not a cast-off. It's because Sparks is no longer waiver exempt so if they send him down I would almost guarantee someone claims Sparks and Leafs lose him for nothing.

Have you seen McBacup`s numbers from last year?

18 GP, 15 GS, 11 Wins, 2.14 GAA, .934 SV.

And that's with a majority of his starts being the second game of back to backs and the Leafs defense is horrible so I've been told.

Personally makes sense to me for the Flames.
Holy God no. I still have nightmares about his time here. I thought Rittich looked good at the World's and was their best goalie, I think he is more than fine as a backup.If Smith goes down we can cross that bridge then, it isn't like there is not a bunch of goalies always available.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #171
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
He's not a cast-off. It's because Sparks is no longer waiver exempt
... So the same situation as us with Rittich. Pass.

I don't have anything against Curtis McElhinney but he's a pure back-up and if the Flames are going to go get another goalie it ought to be one where if Mike Smith has a severe injury during game 78 I don't throw my hands up and say "Whelp, we're ####ed"... and if we face the prospect of going into the post-season relying on Curtis McElhinney to be a #1 goalie I'm saying "Whelp, we're ####ed".
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #172
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely get excited about the idea of a healthy Price, and would stomach a pretty big trade to make that happen. For the first time in a while, I could actually believe a trade for someone like Price (especially with Montreal's position...) and it wouldn't be roster-shattering to do it.

But I haven't considered the Flames in a state of 'need' quite yet. I would be ok with nothing happening until we see what we actually have.

I remember Smith being unbeatable last year. It is unfortunate that's not how it ended, but there was only the odd reminder of 'these things eventually ended in Phoenix!' that would stem the confidence we had in him at that point. And Rittich had a few great games too. Things were looking up for the Flames having a tandem back there. I'd have to think that Rittich or Gillies have to be ready to take 20 or so games this season. And if they do, maybe a 1-2 year 'mentor and share the load' deal is something we still want Smith to do at that point.

Not saying that Trumps a great deal by any stretch. Saros, Price, Dell, are all great names and I'd turn that plan over for those for sure. But I'm pretty happy giving what we had a shot to pickup before the injury with a fresh set of legs.

So I think that's a position of power we should still have leading up to the first few weeks of the season.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #173
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would argue the Flames have been in a state of need since Miikka Kiprusoff decided to stay on his boat.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #174
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I would argue the Flames have been in a state of need since Miikka Kiprusoff decided to stay on his boat.
Agreed.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #175
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames goaltending is going to be the thing that really hurts the team this year.

I hope we move Smith and get someone who is better. Mike Smith doesn't win you stanley cups. he gets you to the playoffs every once in a while

this generations CuJo, pretty good but not elite.

Not in the same class as the Prices, Fleury's and Holtby's of the world
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #176
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Not a chance. Tell me when a goalie has returned an under 25 first line forward. No way Price has that value.
Schneider for Horvat
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #177
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Schneider for Horvat
Not applicable. Schneider was traded for a draft pick not an established NHL first line forward.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #178
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not applicable. Schneider was traded for a draft pick not an established NHL first line forward.
Not exactly. Schneider was traded when Horvat was on the board to be picked. But you're right, he wasn't an established first liner. But that was what he was selected to be, and is/will be this year.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #179
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Not exactly. Schneider was traded when Horvat was on the board to be picked. But you're right, he wasn't an established first liner. But that was what he was selected to be, and is/will be this year.
Yes my whole point is Price would not get Monahan or Tkachuk in any trade one for one let alone ++ if salary was retained.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #180
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes my whole point is Price would not get Monahan or Tkachuk in any trade one for one let alone ++ if salary was retained.
I agree and disagree. We really haven't seen a goalie of Price's caliber traded recently. But I do think he's worth a top line forward. But that was before his stupid contract kicked in. 10.5 is silly for any goalie in the cap world.

This is all a Moo point anyway because Price has regressed and is on a ridiculous contract now.