Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

These goals are awesome and cool and they bring great exposure to the league whenever they happen... they're all over American TV, sometimes even on the evening news. They're topics of discussion and they inspire kids to try these types of moves out and bring even more creativity to their developing games.

I want to see more of them, not less.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Below the crossbar has no impact on whether or not a penalty is called for highsticking a player in the head.
Well, it kind of should, in general. The net is 4 feet high. If you're crouching so significantly that your head is less than 4 feet off the ice as a skater and someone clips you with their stick while they're trying to put the puck in the net, your case for a high sticking call is a touch dubious. Not sure why it should be different for a goalie.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #23
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love these goals but don't think they should be allowed.
Too high risk for the goalies....even if they don't get high sticked by the follow through there is a good chance they take the puck off the head, which should not be promoted for any goal scoring attempt.
Dmen are at risk too...if they go after the player it could result in a high stick or accidental spear....or even if they hit the stick of the forward with their own stick the play could result in a high stick or even the puck flying off into someones face.
Beautiful goal, and takes a ton of skill....but I just don't think it should be allowed in actual game play. Save it for pond hockey.
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #24
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rule that following through on a shot is not a penalty is to protect the basic elements of hockey. Plus, how many guys take a slap shot with the intent of high sticking someone in front of them?

That's why I don't like the lacrosse style goal because the intent is to put your stick over the goalie's shoulder and up by his ear because that is where the opening is. Any stick to head contact is not really accidental because the goalie is in his crease and he has a right to have his head there.

If you can do it with contacting the goalie's mask with your stick, it's a goal. Otherwise it should be two minutes for high sticking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
As far as making contact with the goalies head. Is the risk for goalies really that high? Velocity of the stick is low when compared to a slap shot so concussion risk is negligible. Goalies also have a cage so a little tap to the mask won't hurt them.
That's a very slippery slope and I don't think goalies (and the NHLPA) would agree that it's okay just because it doesn't "hurt". I believe if you high stick a player in the visor or on the helmet, it's still a penalty even if it's just a "tap"?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #25
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, it kind of should, in general. The net is 4 feet high. If you're crouching so significantly that your head is less than 4 feet off the ice as a skater and someone clips you with their stick while they're trying to put the puck in the net, your case for a high sticking call is a touch dubious. Not sure why it should be different for a goalie.
Sure, it “should”. But it doesn’t, which is what I was replying to. “Dave’s heads below the crossbar ergo no penalty” isn’t why it’s not a penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
I say get rid of the crossbar rule. Make it shoulder height like everywhere else on the ice. Crossbar is too hard to determine and taller players get an advantage here.

As far as making contact with the goalies head. Is the risk for goalies really that high? Velocity of the stick is low when compared to a slap shot so concussion risk is negligible. Goalies also have a cage so a little tap to the mask won't hurt them.
Crossbar is by far the best way to make this call, shoulder height changes by the second, knees bent, knees straight... what’s the rule? Crossbar for goals, shoulder height for playing the puck, any head contact outside of a follow through or face off is a penalty. Pretty straightforward.

I’m regards to the goalies, getting a face full of skateblade shard filled snow has its own risk (albeit probably minor). But no a cage does not protect a goalie in this situation as the NHL allows Cat Eye cages, which a stick blade can easily enter.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #26
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Surprised Smith didn’t go Kassian on Forsberg after the goal and follow the footsteps of the “heart and soul” of the team.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #27
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Crossbar is by far the best way to make this call, shoulder height changes by the second, knees bent, knees straight... what’s the rule? Crossbar for goals, shoulder height for playing the puck, any head contact outside of a follow through or face off is a penalty. Pretty straightforward.
As with minor hockey which we grew up with. It's a floating plane. Knees bent, the line moves. Knees straight, you get more. It's pretty simple. Will make replay a lot more cut/dry which would speed up the game and I would venture a guess to say allow more goals.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #28
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
Surprised Smith didn’t go Kassian on Forsberg after the goal and follow the footsteps of the “heart and soul” of the team.
Just when you thought Smith had trouble with closing his 5 hole, he opens up a 6 hole
Old 01-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

No problem with these goals but if in the process of making the play your stick blade goes above the cross bar it should not count.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #30
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

As much as I enjoyed one being scored against the Oilers now...I give it one year before these goals get old, and eventually called illegal.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #31
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

If only someone on the Oilers came down and hit him as he came around the net...
Great goal, terrible D, E=NG
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #32
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
If only someone on the Oilers came down and hit him as he came around the net...
Great goal, terrible D, E=NG
Yes the shot with 4 oilers in a trail formation in front of the net and one guy scoring 15 feet away is pretty telling. No one has any idea what to do in their own zone on that team, same as always. It's great!
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #33
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something feels wrong about being able to carry the puck on your stick, and slashing the stick being illegal.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 AM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Something feels wrong about being able to carry the puck on your stick, and slashing the stick being illegal.
You can still knock the stick. You just can't do it violently. Same as when the puck is on the ice.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #35
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess there must be safety considerations, but I was bummed recently when I realized headers aren't a valid way to score goals. Less rationally i've never been opposed to odd kicked puck. I mean I get it, but why does it always have to go of the stick? I like goals, and in my head those means are a pretty fair way of getting the puck to cross the line.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #36
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like these kind of goals.

Next thing you know we will see them in the shootout.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #37
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
I guess there must be safety considerations, but I was bummed recently when I realized headers aren't a valid way to score goals. Less rationally i've never been opposed to odd kicked puck. I mean I get it, but why does it always have to go of the stick? I like goals, and in my head those means are a pretty fair way of getting the puck to cross the line.
You can redirect a puck into the net using your skate. Just no kicking... for obvious reasons.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can redirect a puck into the net using your skate. Just no kicking... for obvious reasons.
Most of what they call kicking motions that result in a goal these days are perfectly safe TBH. Just moving the skate blade along the ice.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #39
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Most of what they call kicking motions that result in a goal these days are perfectly safe TBH. Just moving the skate blade along the ice.
You are allowed to direct the puck in with your skate - even intentionally.

It’s really hard to determine what’s a kicking motion in many cases, because in many cases where the puck goes in off a skate, the player is doing a hockey stop, which requires legs to be turning/moving around.

Where’s the line between moving around and “kicking”?

As far as the OP is concerned - I definitely think these goals should be disallowed if the stick comes into contact with the goalies helmet. In any other type of shot, this wouldn’t even be a question - if you whack the goalies head with your stick prior to the puck going in, it’s not going to be allowed.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
You are allowed to direct the puck in with your skate - even intentionally.

It’s really hard to determine what’s a kicking motion in many cases, because in many cases where the puck goes in off a skate, the player is doing a hockey stop, which requires legs to be turning/moving around.

Where’s the line between moving around and “kicking”?

As far as the OP is concerned - I definitely think these goals should be disallowed if the stick comes into contact with the goalies helmet. In any other type of shot, this wouldn’t even be a question - if you whack the goalies head with your stick prior to the puck going in, it’s not going to be allowed.
I think they look at the foot going independently of the rest of the body’s motion, towards the net. I can see not wanting blades in the air, but the also call it when the blade never leaved the ice.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote