Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 3 1.14%
Andrew Nielsen 1 0.38%
Artyom Zagidulin 3 1.14%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 2 0.76%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 3 1.14%
Dustin Wolf 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 2 0.76%
Filip Sveningsson 1 0.38%
Glenn Gawdin 1 0.38%
Illya Nikolaev 7 2.66%
Jeremy McKenna 0 0%
Jon Gillies 1 0.38%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 3 1.14%
Matias Emilio Pettersen 131 49.81%
Matthew Phillips 35 13.31%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 1 0.38%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 1 0.38%
Spencer Foo 1 0.38%
Tyler Parsons 67 25.48%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #61
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
There's a better chance of Gillies being bought out in the second buyout phase than there is of him starting games in the NHL this season.
I'll take that bet.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #62
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I'll take that bet.
Ok, how about this:

For every game Gillies plays for the Flames in the NHL this year, I’ll donate $10 to CP.

If he gets bought out, you donate $25.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #63
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
There's a better chance of Gillies being bought out in the second buyout phase than there is of him starting games in the NHL this season.
Gillies cannot be bought out in the second buyout window.

Players can only be bought out in the second buyout window if their cap hit is above a certain threshold. This year the threshold is $3.455 mil.

Gillies has a cap hit of $750k.

If the Flames wanted to buyout Gillies, their only opportunity was during the first window.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, how about this:

For every game Gillies plays for the Flames in the NHL this year, I’ll donate $10 to CP.

If he gets bought out, you donate $25.
Done.

For clarity, I assume you mean bought out this year. And of course, you would only be on the hook for NHL games played this season as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #65
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Gillies cannot be bought out in the second buyout window.

Players can only be bought out in the second buyout window if their cap hit is above a certain threshold. This year the threshold is $3.455 mil.

Gillies has a cap hit of $750k.

If the Flames wanted to buyout Gillies, their only opportunity was during the first window.
Guess Enoch is free rolling on this bet then!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #66
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guess Enoch is free rolling on this bet then!
lol

Hadn't seen sureLoss' post. Bet cancelled.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #67
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Martin Pospisil
Passable two-way utility player but a loose cannon. Big on-ice discipline issues but deserves a pile of credit for reigning that in relative to last year (still wild compared to peers). Despite that, his per-TOI production is very very impressive, even if his individual ability to generate shots is average. Excellent on the powerplay. If he can improve his skating, and pick his spots of aggression a bit better - which should come with maturity - he could be a coveted player with a mean streak who can also contribute offensively. I see him playing wing full-time as a pro.

Ceiling: 2nd line W/pest
Probable: 3/4 line W
Floor: Loose cannon bust

Also in consideration
Emilio Pettersen
Fantastic numbers on the surface and getting a ton of hype as a result. Saw much more of a playmaker side of his game developing in his first year of college. However, he scored 1 even-strength goal in 40 games and generated fewer than 2 shots per game - both of which cause me to pause as I value both highly in offensive prospects. I am very keen to monitor his progress next season as 1 even-strength goal is a massive red flag to me, but his progression in playmaking while playing against those up to four years older than him cannot be discounted either. I also value the opinion of some others who remain confident in him. Pettersen is the biggest mystery for me right now.

Ceiling: 2nd line C/W
Probable: undetermined
Floor: Tweener/bust

Adam Ruzicka
He's big, he has decent hands and offensively ability, he is decent in his own end...but his attitude and commitment are concerns. He isn't always engaged and is easily rattled and knocked off his game, and when that happens he looks like a beer league player during a 10:45 PM weekday game going through the motions to get home ASAP. But when he is on he can drive a line and contribute at both ends of the ice. 32 even-strength goals in 65 games is impressive as is generating over 3.5 shots per game, while also having decent vision. Excellent in the dot, too. If he can get the mental side figured out he has a good shot at making it. If not, he'll be saying "what if" when he looks back on things later in life.

Ceiling: 2nd line C
Probable: 4A C
Floor: Outright bust

Matthew Phillips
Small, shifty, and superb vision and playmaking ability. His first season in the AHL may have been slightly underwhelming to some given his outrageous WHL numbers the season prior, however he wasn't granted nearly as much powerplay time which had a big affect on the counting stats. Excited to see how he fares in his second season of pro. As with these small offensive dynamos, is he Conor Sheary or Brandon Kozun?

Ceiling: 2nd line W
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Outright bust

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote