Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #101
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Chucky is a LW, does that concern you that he’s out of position?
Sure somewhat except we don't have any true RWers on the roster, lol. Peter's mention trying him at RW when he wqs hired plus I feel playing Monahan away from Gaudreau will help Monny's overall game hence my prediction 🤘

Quote:
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Dube - Monahan - Bennett
Lucic - Backlund - Ryan
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik OR another trade acquisition with SIZE!
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #102
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He played RW on the PP often and I know Peters has mentioned it as something to try.

Someone's going to have to do it, him or Bennett or maybe even both
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #103
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

First Line
Monahan (Centre) - Great shot and hockey sense. Needs to rediscover his line driving ability.
Tkachuk (Left Wing) - Underrated playmaker. He threw out so many surprise perfect passes that weren't finished last year, it was frustrating. Monahan can finish.
Bennett (Right Wing) - North/South player, who's best asset is that he makes room. With his style of play, he can be just as effective wherever he plays on the ice, so offside shouldn't be an issue.

Why is this the first line, instead of whatever line Gaudreau is on? Because in my mind, the first line is the one most likely to dominate the opposition. This line could be absolute hell to play against.

Second Line
Lindholm (Centre) - Simply good at everything. Not great, but good, and makes the players around him better.
Gaudreau (Left Wing) - Dynamic. Best offensive player on the team. Give him a little shelter, and watch him devour the opposition without being physically decimated.
Czarnik (Right Wing) - He can skate. He can shoot. This is the position that could be upgraded, but Czarnik can keep up, and would pot 30 with Gaudreau.

This is basically a Detroit Red Wings style line. It's pretty clear which position can be upgraded, but this is 2/3rds of the leagues most dominant second line. What player can a trade of Czarnik/Frolik/Brodie get you?

Third Line
Backlund (Centre) - Elite defense. Incredible teacher.
Mangiapane (Left Wing) - Let him be the latest to learn under the wing of Backlund. Some of the best potential upside on the team. Great motor and gets into scoring position instinctively.
Dube (Right Wing) - Offside, but natural centre. Another student for Backlund with all the tools.

Backlunds greatest strength is grooming high end players for the NHL. Lucky to have him.

Fourth Line
Ryan (Centre) - Solid at everything. You never have to worry about Ryan, ever.
Lucic (Left Wing) - Fitness freak, rah-rah player and nuclear deterrent. It's funny that he's friends with McGratton, he's basically a more effective version of the same player.
Jankowski (Right Wing) - Just learn from Lucic. If Jankowski can bring 25% of Lucic's physical play, he will become a great plug and play player up and down the lineup.

Potentially a very hard fourth line to play against.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #104
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually really like that. Swap the middle 6 Rwers back and forth a bit if you need too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #105
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to try Lindholm at centre. But my concern is that his defensive prowess was a huge part in allowing the top line to take a huge step forward this year. If he moves, you need someone else that is as good at defensive play, or close to it. And/or Monahan steps up his defensive play a bit. This is especially crucial in the POs IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #106
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Mangiapane-Ryan-(speedy winger acquired from eventual Brodie trade)
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #107
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m hoping for

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm (Takes strong side draws)
Tkachuk - Backlund - 2nd line RW traded for
Lucic/Maroon - Bennett - Ryan (Takes strong side draws)
Lucic/Maroon - Dube - Mangiapane
Lomberg as the 13th forward

Obviously a lot would have to happen but that’s both a skilled and mean team up and down the lineup with a high end first line. To be able to mix between Lucic and Maroon on any given night gives Peters lots of options and lots of protection out there and Ryan can help finally get Bennett doing reps as a center man by sharing the workload there on the 3rd line. Lots and lots of options throughout the lineup.

Edit: I know it’s top 9 thread but with the addition of Maroon in my lineup it made sense to include the 4th line

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 07-21-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #108
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’m not sure I’m crazy about having Lucic AND Maroon on the roster. I think with the hard-nosed play of Tkachuk, Bennett, and Lucic we have enough full-time guys to take that role. Add in a cheap guy like Lomberg instead.

I also don’t see a future for Czarnik. I think Dube eclipses him quite easily this year.

Here’s how I see guys generally slotting:
Top six (should play on the top line, no lower than line 2)
JG, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Middle six (can play on the 2nd or 3rd easily, but not suited to 1st or 4th):
Backlund, Bennett, Frolik

Bottom six (Can play on the 3rd or 4th line, but unproven beyond that):
Ryan, Lucic, Jankowski, Mangiapane, Dube, Czarnik, Lomberg

Filling the bottom two lines is easy, lots of options. So adding someone like Maroon makes no sense. If we lose Frolik we can still fill the top 2 lines, but we are limited in options and have no proven options if someone gets hurt (this is especially true on the wing). I can see Dube or Mangiapane jumping up, a ton of talent there, but going into the season with limited options isn’t ideal. At very least if they do have to jump up, it’s easy to fill their spots in the bottom six with extra forwards and AHL guys.

That may just be where we’re at though. Either way: Big no to Maroon. IF we’re bringing another forward in, he’s got to be able to play on the 2nd line at least, otherwise? No point. And who knows, maybe someone at camp impresses enough to crowd the bottom six even further. That’d be ideal.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #109
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where Im coming from though is the Brodie/Jankowski deal for a top 6 player in Kadri; I think that package still gets us that player but for the RW. Frolik will be traded for picks IMO looking at all the 1 year contracts that were signed by UFA’s Frolik for a mid pick or two is palatable for teams feeling they missed out. Stone is a buyout or a sent to AHL contract if it comes to it depending on cap needs if we can’t trade him.

So basically out via trade route

Brodie + Jankowski + ? For top 6 RW (Tyler Johnson, Gallagher, someone like that)
Frolik for picks
Stone buyout/late pick if possible

That now leaves the bottom 6 options with Ryan, Lucic, Mangiapane, Dube, Czarnik, Lomberg

If we could bring Maroon in for 1 year at 1.75-2 million at that point it would be enticing IMO but obviously Brodie+Jankowski trade and Frolik trade would need to take place first along with RFA’s being locked up for it to be even considered.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #110
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
He’s arguably got the highest hockey sense out of all of our forwards. I happen to think he’d play the off wing just fine.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #111
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Treliving doesn’t add to the RW depth, I’m wondering if they try Gaudreau on the right side. He does it internationally quite a bit.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #112
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
If Treliving doesn’t add to the RW depth, I’m wondering if they try Gaudreau on the right side. He does it internationally quite a bit.
He seems to shoot a lot more when playing internationally also. Maybe something to do with being on the right side.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #113
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I would think it's easier on the big ice though. Here I think he needs to keep the puck board-side when he carries it. That is why Chuckie might be better to switch over, since he doesn't carry the puck as much.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #114
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think there's work to be done by Tree, and here's what I'd like to see:

Trade

To Columbus: TJ Brodie, Mark Jankowski, Michael Frolik
To Calgary: Alexander Wennberg, 2019 4th round pick, 2020 3rd round pick

Alexander Wennberg has had back to back "less than great" years after signing a 6 years, 4.9M AAV deal (66GP - 8G, 27A, and 79 GP - 2G, 23A). He's 24 years old and signed for 4 more years. The Flames look at Wennberg's underlying numbers and believe he'll return to producing more, while Columbus looks at Jankowski as a comparable depth centre while bringing in TJ Brodie and Michael Frolik as significant pieces. Calgary dumps a good amount of cap and bets heavy on Alexander Wennberg as their 3rd line centre for this "window", meanwhile the Jackets improve their roster for the upcoming season and can work to to re-sign all 3 players while also being able to sell them at the deadline if contracts can't be worked out.

UFA Signing

Justin Williams (1 year, 4M AAV)

That then gives the Flames this top 9:

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm
Matthew Tkachuk - Michael Backlund - Justin Williams
Milan Lucic - Alexander Wennberg - Sam Bennett

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #115
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

That's an enormous overpay for Wennberg, who has a possible boat-anchor contract himself.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #116
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wennberg would clear waivers with 4 years left at that cap hit
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #117
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
That's an enormous overpay for Wennberg, who has a possible boat-anchor contract himself.
Is Brodie and Jankowski a huge overpay? I had valued Frolik as a 3rd and a 4th, and Brodie + Jankowski for Wennberg - although with that cap hit, yeah Wennberg's value undoubtedly takes a hit - but he really only has had one down year. The year before he put up 35pts in 66 games.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #118
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would definitely attempt to sign Justin Williams for 1 year. I'd move Lindholm to the second line. This is assuming Frolik and Brodie are traded for picks and prospects, which will help the Flames to refill the cupboard. The Flames also send Kylington down to the farm to have him play meaningful minutes and hide him as much as possible from Ron Francis.

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Williams (4.5)
Tkachuk (7.9) - Lindholm (4.85) - Bennett (2.5)
Lucic (5.25) - Backlund (5.35) - Mangiapane (1.25)
Jankowski (1.675) - Ryan (3.125) - Dube (0.778333)
- Quine (0.735) - Czarnik (1.25)

Giordano (6.75) - Andersson (0.755833)
Hanifin (4.95) - Hamonic (3.857143)
Valimaki (0.894166) - Stone (3.5)
Davidson (0.7)

Rittich (3)
Talbot (2.75)

Forwards: 52.288333
Defence: 21.407142
Goalies: 5.75
Buyout: 1.5
Total Cap Hit: 80.945475

Last edited by Nelson; 07-21-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #119
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
The Flames also send Kylington down to the farm to have him play meaningful minutes and hide him as much as possible from Ron Francis.
Still two full seasons and playoffs before the expansion draft happens.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #120
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Still two full seasons and playoffs before the expansion draft happens.
Argggh.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Bennett, Mangiapane, Dube, Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin and Rittich OR

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington, Valimaki and Rittich OR

Make a trade to keep everyone.

I hate expansion!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote