Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #6001
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Something to note about block heaters, they have evolved considerably just like the rest of the vehicle. Many OEM block heaters have temp switches and don't even come on until ~-15C. So plugging these in all the time is fine, they cycle when they need to.

Many are also not installed in a freeze plug like the old days, but are mounted to the side of the block and work more like a heat sink.

When you get to the aftermarket a lot of people are getting the heating pad glued to the bottom of the oil pan because there's no where to install an old school block heater.

If you run a good synthetic oil and good gas most new cars are just fine stating at very low temps, just let them warm up for a couple minutes so you don't low power steering lines and trans cooler lines.

I know most of us don't, but read your owners manual, it will tell you what your best practice should be.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #6002
InglewoodFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

On the topic of battery replacement, I learned something new this week. The battery in my Audi has been living on borrowed time, it was sad in the cold snap last winter and was on it's way out this week. Fine, I'll just run to Canadian Tire and grab a battery...

Not so fast. Apparently my Audi (and apparently a lot of BMWs and Mercedes) need to have the new battery "registered" with the computer in the car. Something to do with the power management system adjusting its operation based on the capacity of the battery. So for one of the simplest bits of car maintenance, I had to take it to my mechanic because he has the gizmo that talks to the computer. Just shaking my head, never would have guessed this when I bought the car.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #6003
Canadianman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've got a question for the collective car wisdom here...

All week my 2014 f-150 hasn't been starting. The block heater is plugged in and I've had a battery charger plugged in as well. It is the same thing that happened during our really cold spell last year. I had them test the block heater and it is working. I replaced the battery last year (when the cold snap ended) and assumed I fixed it (oops).

It doesn't seem like a battery/starter issue, as it is making the normal start-up sounds (not slow and reluctant like a starter gets when the battery is low or when the coolant is too thick to move).

It just seems like the engine is not catching and getting itself going.

This leads me to think it might be something with the fuel injectors or maybe frozen fuel lines? I didn't think that was really an issue anymore with the additives in gasoline.

Anyways, I don't mean to detract from talking about not taking our fancy cars out of the garage during our 8 months of winter, but I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice that anyone can bestow.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #6004
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How old are the spark plugs and coils?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #6005
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many km's? Have you ever changed the fuel filter? Could be a pump going too.

If it happens regularly, it really wouldn't hurt to try gasline antifreeze, despite the comments about it being useless. It's like, $2.50. Might help, might not.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #6006
Canadianman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How old are the spark plugs and coils?
never changed them, so 2014.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #6007
Canadianman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How many km's? Have you ever changed the fuel filter? Could be a pump going too.

If it happens regularly, it really wouldn't hurt to try gasline antifreeze, despite the comments about it being useless. It's like, $2.50. Might help, might not.
about to hit 80k km.

re: fuel filter. I think they have changed it (during regular scheduled maintenance), but I'm not 100% positive.

gasline antifreeze sounds like a cheap thing to try, thanks. I guess it would rule it out at least.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #6008
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd definitely see if the fuel filter has been changed, it may even be time for a second one. You could have a pressure check done on the fuel system as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #6009
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here’s a weird one. I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty that I have had since new and am presently working on driving it into the ground but the thing is a tank. I have done a bunch of work on it myself and know every vibration, rattle, squeak, and hum.

Tonight, I was driving to my birthday dinner and there was some construction at an intersection with a steel plate over the road that was thicker than I have ever seen. Almost immediately a vibration started. I was 90 seconds away from the restaurant so I continued on and parked. I thought, best case, a balancing weight fell off, puncture, or bent rim. Everything looked fine and the wheels were still pointing straight ahead. Had dinner and planned on limping home with someone following. Thing is, I started driving and no more vibration. Sped up to as fast as I could safely go and nothing. RWD, 4x4 all normal.

What the hell could have happened? Can a tire temporarily deform? It was a real stressful dinner because of this and now I am stumped...
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:02 AM   #6010
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of sounds like the infamous Jeep “death wobble”.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #6011
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn’t side to side though and I’ve never heard of a KJ experience the death wobble. It was more like a wheel out of balance. Like a large chunk of snow stuck in the rim or a warped disc.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #6012
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does a Liberty even have a solid front axle? Death wobble is only on Jeeps and Rams with solid axles on the front and usually is associated with a lift kit changing suspension geometry.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #6013
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it's possible a large chunk of ice was dislodged, or perhaps the inside rim was coated with ice, and half broke off causing the vibration. Then the other half fell off while you were dining. Some vehicles are magnets for rim ice.

Probably worth having the front end checked over if you are worried, though. Doesn't take long for a mechanic to put it on the lift, and move everything around. Or if you are capable, look at some youtube videos of some basics to check. If you have a floor jack, it isn't hard.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #6014
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Probably worth having the front end checked over if you are worried, though. Doesn't take long for a mechanic to put it on the lift, and move everything around. Or if you are capable, look at some youtube videos of some basics to check. If you have a floor jack, and jack stands it isn't hard.
Just to be safe.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #6015
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The cold snap we had revealed that my battery is ready to be swapped out. Wish Merc had done the AUX battery and the primary battery at the same time.

But this thing... this tiny beast... this little bastard saved my ass really nicely though. And it's a fraction of the size of my old boat anchor booster that I used to keep around.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #6016
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that some of you guys on the forum have dealt with BC purchases before so I'm looking for some expertise on the process as I can't quite figure out all the steps required.

I have found a used vehicle as a private sale that I'm interested in. If I purchase it how do I get it back to Calgary properly and efficiently. I would like to get everything done in one day obviously so that I don't have to make two trips out to BC. It looks like getting an in-transit permit in Alberta requires a copy of the bill of sale (I would have to go to BC to buy the vehicle, bring the bill of sale back here, get the in-transit permit and go back to BC with it.) It looks like ICBC offers a Temporary Operation Permit which includes insurance but that is only good in BC and from what I understand I think I would have to pay the BC sales tax on the purchase if I did this.

So, is there any way of easily purchasing a used vehicle in BC and driving it back to Alberta legally that same day? Getting insurance with my current provider seems to be the easiest part but I'm confused on getting the proper permits.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #6017
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have a registered Alberta license plate? You would just need to slap that on and ensure you have a temporary insurance slip as you can't register it in alberta until you get an out of province inspection.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #6018
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Do you have a registered Alberta license plate? You would just need to slap that on and ensure you have a temporary insurance slip as you can't register it in alberta until you get an out of province inspection.
I didn't think that using an Alberta plate on an unregistered vehicle in BC was legal. I know that it can be done within Alberta but I don't want to end up with an impounded vehicle and additional hassle if I get pulled over in BC.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #6019
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm buying a new car. I'd prefer to negotiate the new car and my trade-in separately, to avoid the shell games dealers try to play.

I don't expect much for my trade-in (a 12 year old domestic sedan with very low mileage), but I'm prepared to walk away if they low-ball me on that part of the negotiation and offer $500 or something. The only downside I can see is if I don't include the trade-in in the new car deal, I'll lose the GST savings. And of course I'll have the hassle of negotiating a different transaction with someone else.

Is that the right way to approach it? Is it always better to negotiate the new car and trade-in separately?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #6020
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are probably better off selling the car privately 9 times out of 10.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote