Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #381
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man that probably would put a dagger in most of my Star Wars interest. The new trilogy is meh. Solo was meh. Mandalorian has some great but some meh. I had great hope and interest in Kenobi.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #382
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I really hope that isn't true. Just so weird because I remember McGregor saying in an interview he has known about this part for years but had to keep it a secret. I wonder why now all of a sudden?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #383
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

If the creative differences with Ewan McGregor are true then it's not a surprise, the Star Wars heads at Disney seem to have no idea what they're doing and Ewan is a big fan himself
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #384
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Frankly? Good.

I really want them to smash the pause button like it owes them money until they get an actual solid group of people together with a vision and a plan to execute that vision.

If that means that we have to wait for JJ to realize his life-long goal of becoming a sequestered Tibetan monk and give up his Hollywood dreams then so be it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #385
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If the creative differences with Ewan McGregor are true then it's not a surprise, the Star Wars heads at Disney seem to have no idea what they're doing and Ewan is a big fan himself

I remember after Phantom Menace came out and all of these people were like Ewan hates being in them.

But there were some awesome outakes where he was really gleeful to be in Star Wars.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #386
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This hasn't been reported by any major news outlet yet, and no statement from Disney/Lucasfilm either, so for now I'm gonna assume it's just a rumor.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #387
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Now people will ask about the New Jedi Order and the Vong invader, but it was just a long hard read at about 20 separate books it was ok, but despite the cool concept of a self mutilating theocratic outside of the Force invader, it just didn't resonate with me.
The Yuuzhan Vong were just a supremely uninteresting thing to add to the Star Wars universe, in my opinion. We didn't need a mysterious enemy force hellbent on domination - or at least that was how I felt after reading the first three books when they first came out. I figured there was already plenty of existing species or characters that could build up to some grander plan to disrupt the galaxy. The books didn't interest me in the slightest even though so many of the characters in the books were characters I wanted to know more about. That being said, you can't say they didn't try to raise the stakes a little by actually putting important characters in peril or killing them off.

Anyway, you've got a good list there to read for Legends books. Here's a couple more I thought of from the top of my head:
- The Han Solo Trilogy. Some of the writing and plot points are rough, but I think it's a better history of Han Solo than Solo (the movie) was. In my opinion, it better establishes his connection to the Rebel Alliance, the Hutts, the Millenium Falcon, and the Kessel Run.
- Death Star. Hidden amongst the high drama of the construction of the first Death Star and the events of Episode IV involving it, I ended up enjoying reading about the lives of the lesser ranked people living and working on the station. It reminded me a lot of the "Lower Decks" episode of Star Trek TNG.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #388
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we talk about how dumb the Noghri were too? Some super awesome warrior species that's also paralyzingly afraid to die off their homeworld?

What?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #389
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Obi-Wan series cancellation was a hoax:

https://www.thewrap.com/no-the-star-...been-canceled/
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #390
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Watching Empire of Dreams with my son. He loves seeing the behind the scenes stuff and how they created everything. It’s so good.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #391
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The Yuuzhan Vong were just a supremely uninteresting thing to add to the Star Wars universe, in my opinion. We didn't need a mysterious enemy force hellbent on domination - or at least that was how I felt after reading the first three books when they first came out. I figured there was already plenty of existing species or characters that could build up to some grander plan to disrupt the galaxy. The books didn't interest me in the slightest even though so many of the characters in the books were characters I wanted to know more about. That being said, you can't say they didn't try to raise the stakes a little by actually putting important characters in peril or killing them off.

Anyway, you've got a good list there to read for Legends books. Here's a couple more I thought of from the top of my head:
- The Han Solo Trilogy. Some of the writing and plot points are rough, but I think it's a better history of Han Solo than Solo (the movie) was. In my opinion, it better establishes his connection to the Rebel Alliance, the Hutts, the Millenium Falcon, and the Kessel Run.
- Death Star. Hidden amongst the high drama of the construction of the first Death Star and the events of Episode IV involving it, I ended up enjoying reading about the lives of the lesser ranked people living and working on the station. It reminded me a lot of the "Lower Decks" episode of Star Trek TNG.

You know I liked the Death Star books, there was some real goofiness in there, they had the one main character who was a political prisoner serving a life sentence, bought on to the death star as an architech slave, and she's running around drinking in bars and basically enjoying freedom, it seemed like such an anti empire thing. I did like how they showed some of the events of ANH from behind Vader's mask as well. The doctor character had been in the medstar clone wars books which was cool as well.

It wasn't a bad book at all.

Yeah, the Han Solo trilogies were pretty good, but you're right they were rough at times.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #392
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Watching Empire of Dreams with my son. He loves seeing the behind the scenes stuff and how they created everything. It’s so good.

I wish they would put up all of the DVD extra's from the PT and OT, there were some really good documentaries.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #393
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I remember after Phantom Menace came out and all of these people were like Ewan hates being in them.

But there were some awesome outakes where he was really gleeful to be in Star Wars.
Quote:
I wish they would put up all of the DVD extra's from the PT and OT, there were some really good documentaries.
Yeah I remember one where they were filming the lightsaber battle and McGregor falls onto a stunt pad and is helped up by a crew member, to whom he says:

“‘Would you like to do Star Wars?’ they said. I said ‘f***in right.’”

He’s also quoted as being in on the series for a good year before they ever announced anything.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #394
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Can we talk about how dumb the Noghri were too? Some super awesome warrior species that's also paralyzingly afraid to die off their homeworld?

What?
I'd also like to talk about how dumb the Ysalamiri were. They needed a plot device to slow down force user power level creep so they added force kryptonite creatures to nullify their powers. Conveniently available whenever needed! Need a big area covered? Just bring a bunch of them together and the bubble gets bigger!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #395
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

LOL, I just loved that they marked clones by adding an extra letter to their name.

Joruus Cboath the clone of Jorus Cboath would like to kindly introduce Luuke Skywalker the clone of Luke Skywalker.

So the clone steps out and luke kills him

Cboath - "Un Luuuke get out here"

Slicey Dicey by the original Luke.

Cboath - "Yes young Jedi but you won't defeat Luuuuke Skywalker"

Two hours later and a pile of Luke clone corpses the size of a small mountain.

Cboath - "Now you're asking for it, you will never defeat Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke Skywalker

Luke - "How many more of these do you have"

Cboath - "Yeah about 3, you've kind of cut through my inventory"

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #396
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'd also like to talk about how dumb the Ysalamiri were. They needed a plot device to slow down force user power level creep so they added force kryptonite creatures to nullify their powers. Conveniently available whenever needed! Need a big area covered? Just bring a bunch of them together and the bubble gets bigger!

Don't forget that the Force made the clones go insane so they needed the Ysalamiri as part of the cloning process.

I liked the Thrawn Trilogy, but a lot of it just hasn't aged well.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #397
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember immediately thinking the ending of the Thrawn trilogy was cheesy and bad, and yes, the further out you get from it, the more silly it is. There was a really good skeleton for a new trilogy there though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #398
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There was a really good skeleton in there, and they created a couple of what are considered to be iconic EU characters in Thrawn and Mara Jade. The big difference though is the Thrawn in the Rebel's series was a lot more brutal then the Thrawn in the Trilogy.

The biggest problem that I had in the trilogy, was that they made Thrawn this military genius, but then as the books went on, his brilliant plans were being thrwarted every single time.

They really could have kept Thrawn as a long term threat for a long time.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #399
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
The biggest problem that I had in the trilogy, was that they made Thrawn this military genius, but then as the books went on, his brilliant plans were being thrwarted every single time.
Military genius bad guy, ages-old evil bad guy, plotting for decades bad guy, all thwarted by the same few people. I ate all that stuff up as a teenager anyways, which I guess would have been their target audience. Back then I just wanted to see the movie characters overcoming impossible odds. I don't know if they ever wrote the old Star Wars books intending that they stand up to intense scrutiny.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #400
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

True enough, and I was the same way. What I liked about the original trilogy is that the Empire after the death star kicked the crap out of the rebellion.

Even the Death Star concept was a great idea for a brutal empire, who would have known that a tiny exhaust port could be exploited.

Even in Jedi, Even though you knew that the Rebels were going to win because last movie and all. They faced over whelming odds and were getting the crap kicked out of them until the end when the Rebels found the great weakness to Imperial Might and technology, and that was primitive weapons.