Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 AM   #121
FeastersBouwmeesters
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
The league would have bailed Feaster out on that one me thinks.
I thinks' not.

FeastersBouwmeesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:27 AM   #122
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
defence would have more points if the forwards were finishing like last season...I feel like the puck is being moved up to them and they are failing

Another really good forward would make a massive difference though

Stone would be a Flame if he was willing to sign here IMO, hard to put that on the GM...Tre is in one of the toughest markets to GM. That being said Vegas lost in the first round and hasn't been great this season so how much did they improve? tough to say
They lost in the first round with an asterisk.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:36 AM   #123
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
That's why we have to jump on big time players, especially centers, like that when they become available. Can't let other western teams load up on guys like stone and ROR while you stand pat. Theyre big moves to make with some risk but sometimes you have to take it, particularly if you believe you're in a window. Glowing example of course being the Blues with two huge acquisitions up the middle that got them over the hump.
This is disingenuous. Hardly like St Louis was a contender missing an obvious piece or two
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 AM   #124
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This team is missing two top 6 forwards and our D doesn't provide enough offense either. Gio is our only Dman on track to put up more than 30 points, and his 36 point pace is a far cry from the 74 he had last season. And at 36 years old I doubt he ever hits those heights again.

As long as Lindholm remains an actual legit option as a top 2 line C that should help, as top 6 wingers are easier to acquire than top 6 centers. I imagine having more top legit top 6 forwards will help the D with their point totals, but with Gio falling off does the D really have a true offensive driving guy anymore? Can Hanifin or Andersson or Kylington ever be that?

Treliving has his work cut out for him thats for sure.

I assure you that the answer to this is not replacing Gio.

Gio got his points as part of a team effort and the lack of pace is not entirely on him
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #125
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Does anyone have concern that Mangiapane may not be ready for the role he is being given? Outside of that 3 point game against the lowly Oilers, he is not accomplishing all that much in terms of scoring and seems to get knocked down a lot. The effort seems to be greater than the production
6 points in the last 21 games since Ward took over as coach. Tkachuk and Lindholm are up around 17 & 18 points, respectively in that frame.

Eatbread has great hustle and looks dangerous at times, no doubt, but not having much production. That description sounds like an energy player.

I believe he had high points-per-ice-time last season, wonder what those numbers look like now since he's been promoted.

When Ward changes up the lines mid-game, we've seen other players bump up the production of the line nearly immediately (Lucic, Frolik). Ward seems to start off with Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane, watch us fall behind on many nights and then tinker.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #126
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone have concern that Mangiapane may not be ready for the role he is being given? Outside of that 3 point game against the lowly Oilers, he is not accomplishing all that much in terms of scoring and seems to get knocked down a lot. The effort seems to be greater than the production
Yea he should be on the 3rd line with Backlund and one of Bennett or Dube.

We have a lot of bottom 6 forwards here.

That isn’t a knock on Mangiapane or even Dube for that matter. I’ve liked their trajectories but they still need time.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #127
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Mangiapane as a Frolik type, and that's not an insult. Generally useful, you can plug him into the top six and not get hurt, and sometimes he will go on a heater and look like a really good scorer, but never a 20+ goal guy. Frolik tended to get goals in bunches (and sometimes his puck luck was amazing). Frolik was in the top six here most of the time but that was because of the roster, not because of who Frolik is.

All that said, I don't really think much of the narrative that he gets knocked down a lot. He's a smaller guy who plays in tough areas. He's gonna be on the ice a fair bit. I suppose, in time, he's going to have more strength and those battles will even out some, but I'm just not fussed about it. Lots of times he takes a check to make a play.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #128
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is disingenuous. Hardly like St Louis was a contender missing an obvious piece or two
You're right it wasn't obvious, and the group sans those guys wasn't playing with the kind of confidence and composure that would suggest they were a piece or two away (like you see with this group). But they were, and turns out that as a group they just weren't playing up to their potential.

So then, maybe the same could've been said about the Flames had they brought in a couple key guys like this. Maybe bolstering their forwards with the right additions sparks them to take the next step.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote