Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #1701
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Sorry if I misunderstood. I don't want to suggest you meant something you didn't.

I personally just don't see the curfews and policing activities as mutually exclusive. The curfews just gave them grounds to criminalize everyone, peaceful or otherwise.
Ultimately it did do that for sure...but if we think back a week, the world was on fire in those cities. Governors/mayors/police simply couldn't contain the bad amonst the good.

I have zero doubt it was in hope of making all those on the streets a smaller group in hopes of keeping control easier....not that it helped the first few nights.

It was remarkable to me how many put aside possible arrest and a mark on their records to stick to their convictions and make change happen. Kudos to each and every one of them.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #1702
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

A 2nd video of that incident in Kelowna has surfaced...my goodness how this guy isnt fired immediately is beyond me.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1268588498019405826
Old 06-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #1703
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Is there a link/list of cities that have curfews? Looks like LA just cancelled theirs. I'm curious who still has them, but some google searching hasn't yielded much, strangely.
As of May 31.

Arizona:#2000-0500 through at least June 8

Albany, New York:#1900 May 31-0700 June 1

Atlanta, Georgia:#2100 May 31-sunrise June 1

Atlantic City, New Jersey:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Auburn, Washington:#2300 May 31-0700 June 1

Bellevue, Washington:#1730 May 31-0530 June 1

Beverly Hills, California:#Business district, 1300 May 31-0530 June 1, 1300 June 1-0530 June 2; citywide, 1600 May 31-0530 June 1, 1600 June 1-0530 June 2

Charleston County, South Carolina:#1800 May 31-0600 June 1

Chicago, Illinois:#2100-0600 nightly until further notice

Cincinnati, Ohio:#2100-0600, May 31-June 2

Cleveland, Ohio:#1200 May 31-2000 June 2

Columbia, South Carolina:#2030 May 31-0600 June 1

Columbus, Ohio:#2200-0600 until further notice

Costa Mesa, California:#2000 May 31-0500 June 1

Culver City, California:#1600 May 31-0530 June 1

Dallas, Texas:#1900-0600 until further notice

Dayton, Ohio:#1900-0600 until further notice

Denton, Texas:#2100-0600 through at least June 7

Denver, Colorado:#2000 May 31-0500 June 1

Detroit, Michigan:#2000 May 31-0530 June 1

Duluth, Minnesota:#2100 May 31-0600 June 1

Erie County, New York:#2100 May 31-0600 June 1

Eugene, Oregon:#2100 May 31-0600 June 1

Fort Lauderdale, Florida:#2100-0600, May 31-June 3

Hibbing, Minnesota:#2100 May 31-0600 June 1

Indianapolis, Indiana:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Irving, Texas:#2200 May 31-0600 June 1

Jacksonville, Florida:#2000-0600 until further notice

Kansas City, Missouri:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Kenosha County, Wisconsin:#2030 May 31-0700 June 1

Leon County, Florida:#2300 May 31-0600 June 1

Long Beach, California:#2000 May 31-0500 June 1

Los Angeles County, California:#1800-0600 until further notice, and supersedes any local orders with less stringent timeframes

Louisville, Kentucky:#2100 May 31-0630 June 1

Madison, Wisconsin:#2130 May 31-0500 June 1

Mankato and North Mankato, Minnesota:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Miami-Dade County, Florida:#2100-0600 until further notice;#City of Miami, 2000-0600 until further notice

Milwaukee, Wisconsin:#2100 May 31-0700 June 1

Minneapolis and St. Paul:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Monroe County, New York:#2100 May 31-0700 June 1

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina:#1800 May 31-0600 June 1

Nashville, Tennessee:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma:#2200-0500 until further notice

Orange County, Florida:#2200-0500 until further notice

Pasadena, California:#2000 May 31-0530 June 1

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:#1800 May 31-0600 June 1

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania:#2030 May 31-0600 June 1

Portland, Oregon:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Reno, Nevada:#1730 May 31-0500 June 1

Richmond, Virginia:#2000-0600 through at least June 3

Salem, Oregon:#2000 May 31-0600 June 1

Salt Lake City, Utah:#2000 May 30-0600 June 1

San Antonio, Texas:#2200 May 31-0600 June 1

San Bernardino, California:#2000 May 31-sunrise June 1

San Francisco, California:#2000-0500 until further notice

San Jose, California:#2030-0500 through at least June 7

Santa Ana, California:#2200 May 31-0500 June 1

Santa Monica, California:#1600 May 31-0530 June 1

Seattle, Washington:#1700 May 31-0500 June 1

Tampa, Florida:#1930-0600 until further notice

Torrance, California:#1800-0600 until further notice

Tukwila, Washington:#2100 May 31-0600 June 1

Washington, DC: 2300 May 31-0600 June 1

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin:#2100 May 31-0700 June 1

West Hollywood, California:#2000-sunrise until further notice
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #1704
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Floyd's funeral is full of celebs and they have barely mentioned him... hopefully the family is happy with this.

Sharpton took multiple shots at Trump but then proceeded to name drop all the celebs in attendance
Old 06-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #1705
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why?

They have been calling violent criminals and gangs "thugs" forever.

Hell Al Capone was always referred to as one all the time....Donald Trump is one in my eyes as well.

It traces back to organized criminal activity of which a lot of this certainly was.

Its an appropriate term for anyone that conducts themselves as such.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5004736/

words and symbols evolve and the term thug is no longer an appropriate way to refer to black folks.

Edit: For the record, I'm not calling you out or anything, but letting you know how that word is perceived. It's your choice if you want to have to explain yourself all the time.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #1706
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Floyd's funeral is full of celebs and they have barely mentioned him... hopefully the family is happy with this.

Sharpton took multiple shots at Trump but then proceeded to name drop all the celebs in attendance
The mention of celebrities was a whole 5 minutes and the rest of the service was about Floyd and the issues.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #1707
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The mention of celebrities was a whole 5 minutes and the rest of the service was about Floyd and the issues.
No it wasn't...it was about the issues sure but they said almost nothing about him or his life. That was supposed to be a eulogy...shout out to Ludacris
Old 06-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #1708
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Tom Cotton's op-ed:

Maybe it's just me, but we should demand better judgement from newspaper editors than to publish a piece titled "Send in the Troops", which advocates for the use of military force to suppress unarmed civilian protesters, on the freaking anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre of all days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #1709
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Re: Tom Cotton's op-ed:

Maybe it's just me, but we should demand better judgement from newspaper editors than to publish a piece titled "Send in the Troops", which advocates for the use of military force to suppress unarmed civilian protesters, on the freaking anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre of all days.
Tom Cotton isn't just some random dude though, he's a well connected elected official.

In any event, here is their rationale.

https://twitter.com/JBennet/status/1...730866689?s=20
Old 06-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #1710
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man that's a ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #1711
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Why?

They have been calling violent criminals and gangs "thugs" forever.

Hell Al Capone was always referred to as one all the time....Donald Trump is one in my eyes as well.

It traces back to organized criminal activity of which a lot of this certainly was.

Its an appropriate term for anyone that conducts themselves as such.
I am going to call you out a bit on this, because I had a suspicion, so I did a quick search of your use of the word "thug."

For one, you were told during the Baltimore riots why the term thug was problematic, and that it had pretty big racial implications in modern history. It's essentially a very "polite" sounding way to say the N-word. So playing dumb here is not really appropriate when this issue has been known to you for some time. To be fair, you're pretty consistent as defending it as "just a word" with a history that is decidedly not racist. But asking "why" when you know why, is a bit of a farce.

Second, and here's the issue, you've called plenty of athletes (and a few non-athletes) thugs in your time here. Would you care to guess what, exclusively, is the colour of their skin? Do you remember?

I'm not going to bring up the receipts, and for the record, I do not think and am not accusing you of being a racist or a bad person, but your use of the term comes exclusively when Black people are involved, and that is the issue with the term. You are one of many people whose use of the term "thug" is racially motivated, even if you don't intend it to be. And it is not appropriate.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #1712
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

words and symbols evolve and the term thug is no longer an appropriate way to refer to black folks.

Edit: For the record, I'm not calling you out or anything, but letting you know how that word is perceived. It's your choice if you want to have to explain yourself all the time.
OK and thanks for this.....but i wasnt referring to anyones skin color...i was referring to violent criminal behaviour.

Even urban dictionary doesnt ascribe it to any particular race.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thug

i guess Im not PC enough or something, but the word thug has never ever meant anything else in my lifetime.

If someone else wants to think less of me for correct use of the english language...fill yer boots. Someone, somewhere, hijacking english words to fill an agenda of theirs doesn't really interest me.

If it offends any black people here though...i do apologize as in no way is intended to do anything but describe someones actions that cause damage and/or harm to someone else.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #1713
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

I'm reading that far differently than you.

If I called a group of black teenagers a "gang" for no reason other than their race, I'd be racist. Not because the word gang is inherently racist, but because I inferred that this group was a gang due to their skin or implying they were involved in criminal activity because of my racial biases.

Now if I called a group a "gang" because I knew they had gang affiliations, were throwing up gang-signs, had gang colours, known criminal pasts, and acted in a threatening manner; that's not racist regardless of their skin colour.

It's the same with the word thug.

It's about the portrayal and incessant need to paint young black males, especially those killed by police, as thugs (and not even necessarily using that word), even when there's little reason to (either they didn't do anything criminally, or it didn't matter in the big picture).
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #1714
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I am going to call you out a bit on this, because I had a suspicion, so I did a quick search of your use of the word "thug."

For one, you were told during the Baltimore riots why the term thug was problematic, and that it had pretty big racial implications in modern history. It's essentially a very "polite" sounding way to say the N-word. So playing dumb here is not really appropriate when this issue has been known to you for some time. To be fair, you're pretty consistent as defending it as "just a word" with a history that is decidedly not racist. But asking "why" when you know why, is a bit of a farce.

Second, and here's the issue, you've called plenty of athletes (and a few non-athletes) thugs in your time here. Would you care to guess what, exclusively, is the colour of their skin? Do you remember?

I'm not going to bring up the receipts, and for the record, I do not think and am not accusing you of being a racist or a bad person, but your use of the term comes exclusively when Black people are involved, and that is the issue with the term. You are one of many people whose use of the term "thug" is racially motivated, even if you don't intend it to be. And it is not appropriate.

I really dont care what you, in particular, think.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #1715
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Cops shouldn't be held to that standard, no, because it's an entirely different sort of profession... but also, Doctors are not even held to that standard.

Sometimes a doctor does something so bad that the resulting malpractice suit ends his career. It's rare, though. Most complaints against doctors are not career-ending.

Sometimes a police officer does something so bad that the resulting investigation ends his career. It's rare, though. Most complaints against police are not career-ending.

That is the status quo. Both in the case of doctors and police officers, egregiously unprofessional conduct can end your career, while most complaints do not end your career. The tweet purports to rely on a fundamental difference in standards that does not exist in the real world.
In both cases of Doctors and Cops the profession, the union etc do everything in their power to protect their own, cops don't testify against cops and doctors don't testify against doctors unless its such an egregious breach that the combination of horror and damage to the profession force them to sacrifice one of their own.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #1716
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK and thanks for this.....but i wasnt referring to anyones skin color...i was referring to violent criminal behaviour.

Even urban dictionary doesnt ascribe it to any particular race.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thug

i guess Im not PC enough or something, but the word thug has never ever meant anything else in my lifetime.

If someone else wants to think less of me for correct use of the english language...fill yer boots. Someone, somewhere, hijacking english words to fill an agenda of theirs doesn't really interest me.

If it offends any black people here though...i do apologize as in no way is intended to do anything but describe someones actions that cause damage and/or harm to someone else.
Part of the problem is, as you said, words get used over and over by groups and people to dehumanize other groups. It's a reality, it's unfortunate, but we need to acknowledge this and adjust our own language. It's like the time I pointed out to you that monkeys is a derogative term used for black people. It's a normal word but shouldn't be used anymore when African Americans are the subject. You didn't know this, but now you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #1717
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Part of the problem is, as you said, words get used over and over by groups and people to dehumanize other groups. It's a reality, it's unfortunate, but we need to acknowledge this and adjust our own language. It's like the time I pointed out to you that monkeys is a derogative term used for black people. It's a normal word but shouldn't be used anymore when African Americans are the subject. You didn't know this, but now you do.
Fair enough and noted.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #1718
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use thug somewhat regularly and have never even considered it to have any sort of racial connotation. The Merriam Webster dictionary, Wiktionary, Wikipedia, Cambridge English dictionary. None of these sources cite any racial connotation.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #1719
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Not important, but I heard today Floyd's autopsy also revealed he was positive for COVID. [MSNBC]
Old 06-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #1720
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Not important, but I heard today Floyd's autopsy also revealed he was positive for COVID. [MSNBC]
He tested positive on April 3rd, and apparently was an asymptomatic carrier.
Closed Thread