Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #501
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
You, Pepsi And Corsi should form an alliance and finally solve all the world’s problems.
Don't take this the wrong way given the overall topic of discussion here, but... just shoot me now and be done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
To serve and protect...by stealing water and milk
They're actually stealing the water and destroying the milk, to ensure the maximum effectiveness of tear gas, presumably to be deployed later in the evening.
Quote:
I think only one problem needs to be solved here, and that's stopping American cops from murdering PoCs with impunity.
It's deeper than that. It's eliminating the sense of invincibility from American police departments, and as a corollary, gradually eliminating the current social norm that interactions with the police are to be feared. Obviously the people who are most fearful of them are minorities, for good reason, but the overriding sense that there are no consequences for abuses of authority doesn't stop with black people.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-30-2020 at 06:52 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #502
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely it is. Would anyone, anywhere question that?
I would have before, but it's all part of change and growing. You for sure would have recognized that in me based on previous discussions we've had.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #503
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If it, and acts like it cause change then everyone should be happy, a lot of people died in the civil war in 1642 in order to overthrow the legitimate authority of Charles the First so ultimately we could vote now, almost a million Americans died in their Civil War so the slaves could be freed.
I’m sure you’d feel the same if your step son was the cop.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #504
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it, and acts like it cause change then everyone should be happy, a lot of people died in the civil war in 1642 in order to overthrow the legitimate authority of Charles the First so ultimately we could vote now, almost a million Americans died in their Civil War so the slaves could be freed.
It's easy to applaud violence from behind a keyboard in Canada. But tell me - how would a female cop in Chicago getting beaten unconscious or killed help bring about a righteous outcome? Walk me through the steps.

The protesters who made a ring around the cops are the heroes in that encounter. If they hadn't stepped in, and those officers were beaten or killed, things would have gotten much, much worse for protesters all over the U.S. going forward.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-30-2020 at 07:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #505
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Don't take this the wrong way given the overall topic of discussion here, but... just shoot me now and be done with it.

They're actually stealing the water and destroying the milk, to ensure the maximum effectiveness of tear gas, presumably to be deployed later in the evening.

It's deeper than that. It's eliminating the sense of invincibility from American police departments, and as a corollary, gradually eliminating the current social norm that interactions with the police are to be feared. Obviously the people who are most fearful of them are minorities, for good reason, but the overriding sense that there are no consequences for abuses of authority doesn't stop with black people.
I believe it needs to go even deeper than just the police. The entire power paradigm needs to be shattered. I really hate to use the term %1 but it truly is white elitism that is the root issue here. Oppress, segregate and marginalize. Keep the masses fractured to rule them.

Not hard to rig the game when you make the rules.

Its everywhere in the system in the U.S. look at the epstein cover up to racial oppression. Its not a blanket white problem, its powerful white people. Media, everything. Fox News exists solely for this purpose.

Just gonna go make a new tin foil hat now, ate the last one.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #506
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yikes, that's some crazy footage. Gotta say, those protestors who stepped in at the end of that clip to protect the cops are pretty damn brave.
There is a photo from Atlanta of several black men holding off people protecting a cop as well. These are the images we should be spreading, show the world that you can be pissed off without stooping to the level of what caused this.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 05-30-2020 at 07:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #507
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1266884385854255104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #508
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I believe it needs to go even deeper than just the police. The entire power paradigm needs to be shattered. I really hate to use the term %1 but it truly is white elitism that is the root issue here. Oppress, segregate and marginalize. Keep the masses fractured to rule them.
Not following you. As in, I'm reading this and it doesn't even make sense to me. What exactly, specifically, are you hoping happens to "shatter the entire power paradigm"?
Quote:
Just gonna go make a new tin foil hat now, ate the last one.
I'm honestly not sure if kidding.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #509
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
They are looting Chelsea. Going for expensive stuff.
I think you mean “fighting for social justice”.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #510
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoa.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #511
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Getting uglier in New York

https://twitter.com/user/status/1266896333178195969
Old 05-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #512
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I’m sure you’d feel the same if your step son was the cop.
I'd feel a hell a lot better than if my step son (well foster son) was George Floyd, he's dead, like 1 to 2000 mostly coloured Americans every year, if asking the Police nicely worked I would be with you in decrying violence but so far Black America has been asking nicely not to be murdered for centuries and they are still being killed in their thousands a year, how do you propose black America stops cops killing them?
Old 05-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #513
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
What...............the...................hell..... ..............

Cripes, he's lucky he didn't kill someone or get killed himself. Insanity.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #514
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Not following you. As in, I'm reading this and it doesn't even make sense to me. What exactly, specifically, are you hoping happens to "shatter the entire power paradigm"?

I'm honestly not sure if kidding.
I think, he means the problems go beyond the police. The court system is also a problem, PoC often get more substantial sentences. This results in more PoC being felons and being unable to make changes in the voting booth. PoC are often paid less to do the same jobs.... etc.

The entire system is designed to oppress people of color.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #515
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'd feel a hell a lot better than if my step son (well foster son) was George Floyd, he's dead, like 1 to 2000 mostly coloured Americans every year, if asking the Police nicely worked I would be with you in decrying violence but so far Black America has been asking nicely not to be murdered for centuries and they are still being killed in their thousands a year, how do you propose black America stops cops killing them?
If George Floyd was white would it have even made the local news?
Old 05-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #516
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the obvious retort is "probably not, because he'd probably be alive", but there's really no way to know. Frankly, there are plenty of other incidents wherein some other black dude was treated horribly by a copy and it doesn't make the local news either, this one just happened to because... well, it just did. And because there was a good recording, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I think, he means the problems go beyond the police.
Of course they do, but that's a) not what we're talking about here, and b) I don't know what you intend to do to fix that. There are clear steps that can be taken to ameliorate the policing issue. They're fairly big steps, but if you have buy-in from local government, they're eminently do-able. Structural race inequality is centuries in the making and there are no clear steps to fix that. So when someone talks about vague goals like "shattering the power paradigm", my response is necessarily, "what the #### - in real world terms - does that even mean?"

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-30-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #517
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if serious.

Black, white, doesn't matter, a cop killing someone in that matter makes headline news every time.

The fact that it's yet another white cop on yet another black man is the reason for the protests and riots. But yes, it definitely makes the local news, obviously.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #518
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
If watching a cop getting beaten while trying to protect his female partner makes you happy, then that’s fine. You’re a foster parent so you know everything apparently. You, Pepsi And Corsi should form an alliance and finally solve all the world’s problems.
Meet my foster sons uncle, John Williams, in his 40's, lived on the street making cash by carving and selling tourists totem poles, a bit deaf which likely why he didn't understand the cop who killed him, how the **** am I supposed to feel? I knew him, he was a nice guy, a bit rough around the edges, but not violent or even a criminal, just an older native guy trying to survive his crappy Residential school upbringing by drinking too much.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #519
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I think, he means the problems go beyond the police. The court system is also a problem, PoC often get more substantial sentences. This results in more PoC being felons and being unable to make changes in the voting booth. PoC are often paid less to do the same jobs.... etc.

The entire system is designed to oppress people of color.
Yes. Thank you for getting the gist of my unpolished turd of a post.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #520
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I think you mean “fighting for social justice”.
Screeeeeech Bang Bang Vrooom.
Closed Thread